Glycine Airman Unboxing!
Like Tree101Likes

Thread: Glycine Airman Unboxing!

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Glycine Airman Unboxing!

This is a watch I've been really excited about for quite some time, and in the start of July I finally decided to go for it. I sent a mail to what I think is Norways only authorized dealer of Glycine, militarytime.no, and went back and forth a bit with the guy who runs it who was very helpful in answering my questions. A deal was made and the watch was ordered from Switzerland without any deposit needing to be placed as security. Now, three weeks later it's finally here!

After unboxing it my excitement didn't exactly get any less big, to say the least!

Anyway, enough talk and over to the pictures.

The outer cardboard box:

Securely packaged:

The presentation box is very nice, and the stamped papers come in a nice folder.

So, which Airman model is lurking underneath this cover?

An Airman 18 in 39mm with a blue/black dial and a blue calf leather strap, with 3 hands in a 24-hour layout!

I think this is going to fit very nicely with some casual jeans shorts/shirts now in the summer.

A very nice display caseback showing the "GL 293" movement, which is basically an ETA 2893 movement.

A shot on wrist!

The leather strap feels very high quality, and is not "springy" at all, but very flexible and soft. When I bend it in one direction, it sort of stays there and only slowly bends back in place. Feels very comfortable on wrist, and I think the blue color compliments the rest of the watch perfectly.

The dealer was nice enough to throw in a rather thick book on Glycine Airmans free of charge. A very nice gesture!

So, a bit about the watch and what I really like about it. This is my first ever 24-h watch, and I must say I really like the idea of having the entire day represented on the dial at once. You sort of get a feeling of "where you are" in the day, something I think is pretty cool. I feel many 24-h watches can often be a bit hard to read and feel a bit "congested", since there's twice the amount of information on the dial, but here I feel Glycine has done brilliantly in making it as intuitive and easy to read as possible. It helps that every single hour marker is numbered in arabic numerals, and I'm really loving the design detail where the dial is split into two "parts" - one dark and one light blue, each representing their side of the day: night and day. This also helps in making it more intuitive to read.

I also like that hour 24, that is midnight, is at the top of the dial. Some 24-h watches have this at the bottom, but to me it's more intuitive that every day ends and starts again at the top.

The watch is 39mm in diameter, which I feel is a nice and classical size that fits this design perfectly, and should also fit most wrists without issue. It has a screw-down crown and is rated to 200m depth, so I'm pretty sure this is going to see some snorkeling during the summer if just the weather here in Norway can get a bit warmer.

Quality-wise, this really feels on par with watches costing much more.

I'm really happy with it, thanks for taking a look!
    Last edited by Kohe321; July 24th, 2015 at 04:47.

Re: Glycine Airman Unboxing!

Lovely watch, perfect size, great color. I myself from time to time think I should get me one (I especially like the old fashioned No. 1 in 36mm + cream dial). Congratulations!!!
    Kohe321 and Robotaz like this.
    Jaeger Lecoultre Master Grande Ultra Thin Date, Bucherer Edition
    Rolex
    Sea Dweller 4000, ref 116600 / Datejust, ref 116234 / Milgauss, ref 116400
    Longines Conquest Heritage 1954-2014 (#13 of 60)
    Grand Seiko SBGA011 / SBGV005
    Seiko SBBN015
    Sinn 140 A (#087 of 500)
    + others...

Awesome, perfect size ,
    Kohe321 likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

The Airman looks good - congratulations.
    Kohe321 likes this.

Looks perfectly at home on your wrist. Enjoy it.
    Kohe321 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Legion681 View Post
    Lovely watch, perfect size, great color. I myself from time to time think I should get me one (I especially like the old fashioned No. 1 in 36mm + cream dial). Congratulations!!!
    Thank you! I agree, the size is perfect for this one, it sits on the wrist really nicely. It doesn't build much in height either, so the fit feels very snug. My wrists are about 8,1 inches by the way.

I'd say that if you are on the fence on whether or not you should buy an Airman, go for it! You won't be disappointed. It's a really nice classic watch with something very cool and contemporary about it as well, and I think this can dress up and down a bit making it quite versatile as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Checkwithme View Post
    Awesome, perfect size ,
    Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by sticky View Post
    The Airman looks good - congratulations.
    Thanks a lot!

Quote Originally Posted by omeglycine View Post
    Looks perfectly at home on your wrist. Enjoy it.
    It feels perfectly "at home" on the wrist as well. Thanks
    Last edited by Kohe321; July 23rd, 2015 at 21:08.

Gorgeous watch. I love the blue degrade dial. Perfect for a 24 hour watch. Also I commend your choice on the three hand model instead of GMT.
    Kohe321 likes this.

I have worn it for a few hours now, and I must say that the 24-h layout is starting to feel very natural already. Here's a picture I just took in the evening sun:

I don't have to look at it for long to see that the time is a quarter past eight in this picture. It's almost at "a glance" speed already. And even though it's probably never going to be quite as quick to read as a 12-h watch, that's not really the point with this watch for me. It's fast enough, and it's cool to have a 24-h watch in the collection.
    Last edited by Kohe321; July 23rd, 2015 at 21:42.

Very jealous. It looks great on you too. Love the picture of the shipping box.
    Kohe321 likes this.

I'm pretty jealous too. This watch looks awesome.
    Kohe321 likes this.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread Information