WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

Glycine Combat 6 36mm vs. Muhle Glashutte 29er midsize vs. Fortis

5K views 11 replies 9 participants last post by  DanceCommander 
#1 ·
I have been a longtime lurker on this forum but this will be my first post. I am currently a high school senior and I am headed off to college next year and I am looking to buy my first nice watch. After exhaustive research I have narrowed it down to a few models. These include the Muhle Glashutte 29er, the Glycine combat 6 36mm, or maybe a fortis watch particularly the square watch. I have extremely small wrists, maybe 6.25 inches, (hence the 36mm size of the first two watches I am thinking about). I also like a more vintage feel in terms of size and fit. Each of these watches has a variety of pros and cons. I love the vintage styling of the Glycine combat 36mm. The watch is also very understated which is definitely a quality I am looking for. My only concern is that it seems a little delicate with its polished case and 50m water resistance. I'm not looking for a watch that can go through hell and come out unscathed (I already have a g shock for that) but I want something that will be robust enough to stand up to daily wear and occasional abuse. The Muhle Glashutte seems more robust and has 100m water resistance along with a screw down crown. I'm not in love with the dial though as it seems a little plain and industrial. It may look better in person than in photos on the internet, but I just don't know. The only one of these watches that I have actually been able to try on is the Glycine as there are no ADs for the other brands in my area. The Fortis square caught my attention but I'm worried it may be too thick an bulky for my taste and I have no clue where to buy a fortis as there seem to be hardly any authorized dealers online and none in my area. Anyway I was hoping that any owners of these pieces could offer their opinions as I only have handled one of them and have long term experience with none. Also if there is anything brand or model that I'm overlooking I would be pleased to know. Any input would be much appreciated. Thank you guys.

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
Welcome to WUS. Firstly, a 38mm square will wear much larger than 36mm round so the Fortis may not be suitable. The other 2 are good choices though quite different, especially the cases. I have considered both myself and have a liking for field watches so the Combat 6 appeals, especially the version with Arabic numerals. OTOH the Muhle has its own appeal with its German aesthetic and might be built to a slightly higher standard, though I've never handled either. As for other watches, new 36mm models are thin on the ground. Check out the Archimede Pilot in 36mm.

Edit: Also check the Archimede Outdoor. It has short hidden lugs and may not be too large.

Btw..the addition of pics of the models you are looking at will elicit more responses.

#3 ·
I wouldn't worry about the 50m rating on the Glycine. You can do real field stuff, like trudging through a ditch, and not have to worry. I wouldn't dive with it, but wouldn't doubt it if you could.

#4 · (Edited)
The Glycine looks very nice. I actually like that one a lot! Although I have not handled one before I am sure it would be a great choice. No point in getting the Muhle if you don't like the dial design although it is a fine watch. There are plenty of other "small" watches available though you could take a look at. Archimede makes a very nice pilot watch in both 36mm and 39mm for example (PILOT 39 Automatic Eta 2824)
Watch Analog watch Watch accessory Fashion accessory Strap

I also have very small wrists (6.5in) and I wear a Longines Conquest in 39MM which is also an amazing watch. And definitely tough with 300m water resistance...
Wrist Watch Analog watch Hand Finger

#5 · (Edited)
+1 for Glycine if understated is one of your goals. I've not tried the smaller one but had the 41mm on my wrist and liked the look of it it very much. One thing to note is that it has a mineral crystal, not sapphire and may be vulnerable to scratches. Since Archimede was mentioned, a friend has the Outdoor, which is a fine looking watch and very well made. It has a hardened steel case and the hidden lug design is a little different from most watches. I realise its a bit bigger than 36mm but you can easily visualise it on wrist and almost 'try' it out because it wears very similarly in size and shape to certain Swatch Irony models. I for one like that resemblance. My advice is to go for as big a watch as you're reasonably comfortable with because you're still a growing lad;)

Edit: Oh, and btw welcome to the forum!

#8 ·
Thanks everyone for their input. So far I am definitely leaning toward the Glycine but I did take a look at the outdoor and I have to admit that its pretty cool. The hardened case would be a plus for me because I tend to be a little rough on watches. The short lug length as mentioned above would work for me. My seiko 009 is 42 mm but the lugs are short at 46 mm and it fits pretty well.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.