GMT - Omega? New? Used? advice sought...

Thread: GMT - Omega? New? Used? advice sought...

CWP

Question GMT - Omega? New? Used? advice sought...

I'm putting this post on several boards, hoping for the widest exposure and response. I'm grateful that we have these forums, allowing novices like me to pose these questions!

I travel extensively and I'm looking for a rugged GMT watch to wear for work. When I get on a plane, I switch to my faithful Timex beater that has analog and digital clocks.

I've seen a lot of GMTs on this and other boards. Some look pretty nice. Others don't appeal to me.

I've considered the Hamilton Khaki GMT (don't like the GMT window) and the Marathon GSAR (don't care for the looks) but would like a more "noticeable" or well known watch.

I've also bought several watches off of the boards, with varying degrees of satisfaction. I've had no outright bad experiences, but I've had a few that I wouldn't care to repeat (wouldn't buy the watch again, now that I've actually received it).

I'm not looking for a pristine watch; I'll probably put lots of dings and dents in it while working.

I've seen "previously enjoyed" Omega GMTs (which I like the looks of) on boards from about $1000 and up. Given the experiences that I've had buying other than new watches, I'm a bit leery about just plunking down that kind of money on something I haven't actually touched.

I've located a brand new Omega Seamaster GMT 2234.50.00 from an AD for $1700, delivered.

OK - some questions that I hope you'll help me with...

I know that Omega is a good brand. Buying it new, from an AD would give me a warrantee. Is it worth the extra to buy new?

If I buy a used Omega with "papers," does any type of warrantee convey? Or are the "papers" just valuable between watch aficionados?

What is the normal warrantee period?

Is $1700 a good price for a new Omega GMT?

About how much does the watch depreciate once I "drive it off the lot?"

I appreciate any and all comments and advice.

Charlie

Re: GMT - Omega? New? Used? advice sought...

Quote Originally Posted by CWP
    I've located a brand new Omega Seamaster GMT 2234.50.00 from an AD for $1700, delivered.
    I know that Omega is a good brand. Buying it new, from an AD would give me a warrantee. Is it worth the extra to buy new?
    It depends - on the price difference and your preferences. Sometimes you may get used Omegas from well-known dealers (perhaps no AD) with a 2-3 years warranty.

If I buy a used Omega with "papers," does any type of warrantee convey? Or are the "papers" just valuable between watch aficionados?
    Usually you get no warrenty. But you know where it comes from and you know that the manufacturer of the watch will service it if necessary.
    I don't buy cars without papers, I don't buy watches without papers. period.

AFAIK it depends on the brand, the watch and the country where it has been sold by the AD.

Is $1700 a good price for a new Omega GMT?
    As far as my quick research shows here in Germany a 2234.50.00 is (incl. tax)
    • 1,930 EUR (about 2,450 USD) - new, buying from an AD
    • from 1,550 EUR (about 1,950 USD) - new, grey market dealer, with 2-3 years dealer's warranty
    • from 1,250 EUR (about 1,600 USD) - very good used condition, with 1,000 days (grey market) dealer's warranty
    So, from my perspective, lucky you :gold

Don't know, don't care

Cheers, Ralf
    List of dreams:
    Glashuette Original Sport Evolution Big Date -
    Glashuette Original Senator Kalenderwoche - Nomos Orion - Omega Railmaster - Omega SMP GMT

Sydney, Australia / London, United Kingdom

I will try and answer your queries.

I've seen "previously enjoyed" Omega GMTs (which I like the looks of) on boards from about $1000 and up. Given the experiences that I've had buying other than new watches, I'm a bit leery about just plunking down that kind of money on something I haven't actually touched.

This is the risk you take when you buy sight unseen. If you buy of watch u seek or TZ you can usually ask members of the forums if they know the seller and if they are any good. If you are looking for a cheaper deal and don't care if the watch is not 100% a used one may be the way to go.

That is my favourite GMT from Omega.
    OK - some questions that I hope you'll help me with...

If the warranty is important to you then it is. Most AD's will give you a discount if you ask so. If you want a brand new watch I would recommend getting it from an AD as the discounted price can be the same as buying it from a grey market dealer except you get the full warranty from the factory.

Not sure - Often the seller may have all the warranty cards etc and may have purchased it from an AD but i don't know if it is transferable. As for the other papers they can show that the watch is not fake although this is not a complete guarentee.

2 years for this watch. Omega offer 3 years for all Co-Axial watches. Is $1700 a good price for a new Omega GMT?

Are you getting a discount? If you tell us where you are from some members of the forum may be able to refer you to an AD that can give you a good discount.

I think you would lose at least 40% taking into account what these are on sale for used compared to RRP.

I appreciate any and all comments and advice.

Charlie[/QUOTE]
    Last edited by Ferrari 312T; August 15th, 2006 at 16:16.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

CWP

Ralf,
    Thank you for the information! I'm in Frankfurt. Too bad I'll be leaving soon.
    I'll read and digest your post when I get back to Virginia.

Sydney, Australia / London, United Kingdom

I would also suggest you put it on the Omega forum as there are a lot of good knowledgable people there that will give you good advice.

CWP

Ferrari,
    Thank you for the post and the information. I'll be heading home soon and will take all the details into consideration.

I really like the Omega GMT!

Charlie

rbt

Charlie, $1700 is a pretty decent price on a new GMT. Retail is about $2500. Good luck.
    Alas, time stays, we go.

Quote Originally Posted by CWP
    I travel extensively and I'm looking for a rugged GMT watch to wear for work. When I get on a plane, I switch to my faithful Timex beater that has analog and digital clocks.

I've seen a lot of GMTs on this and other boards. Some look pretty nice. Others don't appeal to me.
    If you travel to places with timezones in half-hourly steps away from GMT/UTC, none of the mechanical watches will be of any use to you, even the so-called "true" GMT mechanical watches like Rolex or Omega (after quicksetting the 12-hour hand to the nearest hour, you then have to hack the watch and wind it forward or back 30 mins, which will take the 24-hour hand with it). You might be better of with a quartz such as a Breitling Aerospace or Omega X-33.

Something to bear in mind. If you only ever travel in the Western hemisphere with conventional one-hour-multiple time difference, the Seamaster GMT is a pretty good bet if you like the looks.

Thread Information