GMT Question
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: GMT Question

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

GMT Question

I'm hoping for some help...

I love the way Omega and Rolex GMT watches function, in that they allow adjustment of the hour hand without hacking the movement. Unfortunately, most GMT watches (usually containing an ETA 2893) only allow adjustment of the GMT hand while the movement is running - the only way to adjust the hour hand is to hack the movement. I find it more functional if the hour hand is always the one I read for the local time, no matter how many times I change timezones.

Does anyone know of any "affordable" GMT watches (<$750US) that function like the Omega or Rolex? I'd love to add a GMT to my collection, but can't swing another Omega at the moment.

Any help is appreciated - thanks!
    "Yeah, that's a nice watch, but, um, where's the Helium Escape Valve?"

Re: GMT Question

Nothing in mechanical at that price that I am aware of. Look for Seiko Perpetual Calendar watches using the 8f56 quartz movement. There have been several models usually with an SLT prefix over the years and new ones show up on Ebay fairly regularly.

I agree it is handier to be able to adjust the 12 hour hand to local time without disturbing the minute hand. The other method is somewhat slower but ultimately workable.

Those Seiko watches also allow the date to be rolled forward and backward as one transits time zones. Really a neat reasonably priced design.

Quote Originally Posted by John MS View Post
    I agree it is handier to be able to adjust the 12 hour hand to local time without disturbing the minute hand. The other method is somewhat slower but ultimately workable.
    Thanks John - to complicate matters, the gmt hands on the common type are almost never lumed and if they are, the gmt markers aren't - thereby making them useless at night.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by SolitarySoul View Post
    I'm hoping for some help...

I love the way Omega and Rolex GMT watches function, in that they allow adjustment of the hour hand without hacking the movement. Unfortunately, most GMT watches (usually containing an ETA 2893) only allow adjustment of the GMT hand while the movement is running - the only way to adjust the hour hand is to hack the movement. I find it more functional if the hour hand is always the one I read for the local time, no matter how many times I change timezones.

Does anyone know of any "affordable" GMT watches (<$750US) that function like the Omega or Rolex? I'd love to add a GMT to my collection, but can't swing another Omega at the moment.

Any help is appreciated - thanks!
    I agree with you that most GMTs are fake GMTs IMHO. The Omega would be the most affortable that I knew existed.

Here is mine:

Name:  IMG_0912.JPG
Views: 420
Size:  113.9 KB

If there is another machanical GMT such as the Omega and Rolex, I would be interested as well.

Citizen quartz GMT movements behave like this...I'm a big fan of them for ease of use and general functionality as travel/beater watches.

Born in South Korea - Canadian citizen - Living in Philly Suburb

Does steinhart gmt offer such GMT feature?

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk 2
    Chronic flipper...

Quote Originally Posted by hpark21 View Post

Not sure what you are asking. The Steinhart GMT uses a 2892 derivative movement which means the 24 hour hand is independently adjustable. It is a GMT watch in that it can track a second timezone using 24 hour time. That feature means resetting local 12 hour time is just a little more fiddly. But GMT watches with either hand setting system can be used to do track and adjust time in two different zones.

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph06 View Post
    Citizen quartz GMT movements behave like this...I'm a big fan of them for ease of use and general functionality as travel/beater watches.
    Agree, I also have been looking at these.

Quote Originally Posted by hpark21 View Post

I don't think so... I'm pretty sure that their GMT allows the GMT hand to be adjusted, not the hour hand.

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph06 View Post
    Thanks, but at the moment, I'm thinking mechanical.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread Information