GMT Watches with Quick Set Hour Hand
Like Tree24Likes

Thread: GMT Watches with Quick Set Hour Hand

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Confused GMT Watches with Quick Set Hour Hand

I have been thoroughly frustrated looking for an affordable (less than $1000) GMT watch
    similar to the Rolex and Omegas with quick set hour hands. I cruise frequently and am
    looking for an automatic watch with a GMT hand to tell me my home time, and a 12 (or
    24) hour hand that I can quickly adjust to ship's time (which changes frequently on
    transatlantic/transpacific cruises. It would also be nice to have a moveable bezel to also
    track a third time zone. I understand you need a modified 2836-2 movement to get this
    feature.

Are there any inexpensive movements other than the modified 2836-2 that have this feature?

Am I doomed to a digital or multiple dial watch such as a Torgoen T8?

GMT Watches with Quick Set Hour Hand

If you are not stuck on automatic, I really enjoy my Seiko Sportura SUN015 with independent hour hand. It's a quartz but has a nice bracelet , sapphire, ceramic bezel inlay for less than $400. It's a little on the big side, so that might not appeal to you if you are looking at say an Explorer II. I don't have it on so I can't snap a quick photo for you.
    Last edited by liwang22; May 17th, 2014 at 22:36.
    SactoJohn likes this.

Re: GMT Watches with Quick Set Hour Hand

How about this Orient GMT (+23 other time zones) watch?
    The Orient CFA02004B0 world time / power reserve. (There are many similar models, most of them starting with CFA... CEY...)

It's 10 o'clock in Jakarta, 18:00 in Istanbul/Cairo, 16:00 in London, 11:00 in New York. All shown in the nice dial of a mechanical watch.

The watch's in-house mechanical movement continuously/automatically rotates the 24h inner ring.

(In almost all other world time watches, you have to turn the 24h ring by yourself manually, in order to see the current time at other cities. This watch, keeps all 24 cities up-to-date, and you see the time instantly, for any given city, at all times.)
    SactoJohn, Dark_K and Uber like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

At home now. This is what the SUN015 looks like. I believe it's a European model. My wife got it for me on Amazon.
    philanderer likes this.

I am not aware of an affordable mechanical GMT with the quickset on the main hour hands, as most affordable GMTs use the ETA 2893-2 movement, which has the quickset on the GMT hand instead. The cheapest mechanical watch with that functionality is the Omega Great White GMT, which uses a modified ETA 2893-2. Otherwise, you need to find a quartz GMT watch based on the long discontinued Seiko 8F56 movement, or one of the newer Kinetic GMT watches that Seiko makes, like the SUN015 above.

This is a photo of the Seiko SUN001 which I used to own, it is on the big side, as are all the Kinetic GMTs.

Citizen also has something similar, the BJ5130-58L, which is an Eco-Drive titanium watch.

Last edited by mleok; May 18th, 2014 at 00:40.

Patek Philippe Calatrava 5119J; Vacheron Constantin Overseas; Jaeger-LeCoultre Grande Reverso Duo; Rolex Submariner 114060; Omega Seamaster 300; Montblanc Heritage Dual Time; Tudor Black Bay, Black Bay GMT.

Armida A12; Borealis Estoril; Bulova Accutron II Alpha, Moonwatch; Casio GMW-B5000D, GW-5000, GST-W310; Coach Fulton; Hamilton Khaki Field; Helson Skindiver; Orient 60th Anniversary; Seagull Tourbillon, 1963 Air Force; Seiko SNA089P, SUN025P1; Steinhart OVM; Swatch Body and Soul, Heracles, Sistem51, Uncle Charly; Victorinox Alliance, Infantry Vintage.

Citizen also has something similar, the BJ5130-58L
    I have this watch and it is most excellent.
    Rusty427 likes this.
    "Either he's dead or my watch has stopped"
    Groucho Marx

"The only reason for time is so that everything does not happen at once..."
    Albert Einstein

Banned

forgive me, i don't know how the GMT hand works on this guy but it's quartz and way cheaper than 1000

VSA 241649

EDIT: i just found the link for the movement, it does say quick set... not sure though.

http://www.ronda.ch/en/quartz-moveme...aliber/51524h/
    Attached Images Attached Images

Last edited by Memphis1; May 18th, 2014 at 03:30.
    mitadoc, Uber and Rusty427 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Memphis1 View Post
    forgive me, i don't know how the GMT hand works on this guy but it's quartz and way cheaper than 1000

VSA 241649

EDIT: i just found the link for the movement, it does say quick set... not sure though.

RONDA AG
    Looking at the Ronda manual, it looks like the quickset is on the 24 hour hand.

Patek Philippe Calatrava 5119J; Vacheron Constantin Overseas; Jaeger-LeCoultre Grande Reverso Duo; Rolex Submariner 114060; Omega Seamaster 300; Montblanc Heritage Dual Time; Tudor Black Bay, Black Bay GMT.

Armida A12; Borealis Estoril; Bulova Accutron II Alpha, Moonwatch; Casio GMW-B5000D, GW-5000, GST-W310; Coach Fulton; Hamilton Khaki Field; Helson Skindiver; Orient 60th Anniversary; Seagull Tourbillon, 1963 Air Force; Seiko SNA089P, SUN025P1; Steinhart OVM; Swatch Body and Soul, Heracles, Sistem51, Uncle Charly; Victorinox Alliance, Infantry Vintage.

Orient Star Seeker GMT Automatic with powerreserve indicator. It also has a rotating innner bezel for a 3rd timezone.
    It has a display case back and a sapphire top glass - the movement is slightly decorated. Solid endlinks and an OK bracelet.
    It has hacking and Winding. Quickset hourhand - not so much, but GMT hand is easy to set.
    Best part is that it looks good, well at least to me - I love this Watch, cant stop wearing it. Got mine for 430 US dollars (retail 1100?)

It also comes with a Black dial, like the off White one the best though.

Name:  orientstarseeker_zpsf632baf0.jpg
Views: 2617
Size:  86.6 KB
    Last edited by iggu74; May 18th, 2014 at 04:49.

^ I was going to suggest Orient and Citizen too, there are some good eco-drive choices.
    The royal marine and BJ9130-05E and pro master as well. I think they all have quick hour set.
    The Omega Seamaster GMT is a good choice, though you would need to save for that one, I have seen them starting at 2k.
    BJ9130-05E
    Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1400380930.790522.jpg
Views: 2720
Size:  75.3 KB
    Here is mine. SBQJ015
    Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1400381772.449768.jpg
Views: 2574
Size:  182.3 KB

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information