Going against the tide - my support of avant-garde brands .. a tirade ....
Like Tree78Likes

Thread: Going against the tide - my support of avant-garde brands .. a tirade ....

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Going against the tide - my support of avant-garde brands .. a tirade ....

I'll say exactly what I think on this, after years of contemplation ....

Hublot, Tag Heuer and some others are disliked by some watch aficionados (e.g. people who post here) but liked very much by their target market

Why ? because many watch aficionados have a snobbery that likes pseudo-heritage (in reality virtually no brand has any iconic pieces that were really first in anything) and anti-bling (as those people are just money right and don't know what they are talking about and I am jealous ....)

Tag and Hublot are avant-garde brands that try to do something new and don't waste time producing the same watch for 60 years or endlessly recycling back catalogues. (ok Tag does have some heritage, but apart from the lovely Monaco and recent Autavia, they have stuck to brilliant and beautiful avant-garde designs, like the Carrera 01 Skeleton 43mm or the ever popular entry level Aqua Racer series)

Largely brands that try to do something different are rubbished here, even smaller brands, e.g. including Deitrich, etc.

Watch brands that produce mostly boring samey samey designs, like Omega, Rolex, Sinn, are venerated

Not that these brands don't produce lovely pieces. I currently wear a Rolex Airking and love the Omega Speedmaster 2, for example, or the lovely Sinn 103 blue limited editions ...

Don't ever hold back on a feature or look that grabs you, just because someone else says they don't like it

We only live once. Most of the watches and brands here you don't really need, a cheap swatch, citizen or casio will do. Becasue you don't really need them, its essential that you enjoy them for what you want. If you want a rose gold watch with diamond numerals, go ahead ...

The big whipping horse for some is resale value, for others its irrelevant. If this is important to you, you should be asking yourself whether you can actually afford the piece in the first place. But if it is, just make sure the watches that depreciate the most you are getting the highest discount. And don't be fooled by folk here about resale value. Yes Rolex SS profession models keep their value the best, but in the 1980s it was the gold ones, and in the future, given a global recession or the apple watch 4, who knows ...... never rely on resale value for your enjoyment

Some brands do take the piss, making an average 316 case and throwing a SW200 or 2924 in it and charging £4000, but again, if you like the box and the look, what the hell ...

They way I see it, the most important thing about a watch is that it speaks to you and will give you pleasure. All the rest is detail ....

Re: Going against the tide - my support of avant-garde brands .. a tirade ....

This ought to end well....
    My collection changes so often I got tired of redoing my signature

Quote Originally Posted by colonelpurple View Post

They way I see it, the most important thing about a watch is that it speaks to you and will give you pleasure. All the rest is detail ....

[/COLOR]
    amen, and run for cover!
    Call Sign - Wit
    Si vis pacem, para bellum
    Quote Originally Posted by kubr1ck View Post
    the benevolent caretaker of a halfway house for recovering G-Shocks.
    And the grand rehabilitator strikes again.
    Quote Originally Posted by Time4Playnow View Post
    For most of us, when we wear a bad-a** watch, the characteristics of the watch "bleed over" to us -- and suddenly, WE are bad-a**es!
    For some members here though -- like Steelerswit, and Kubr1ck -- they have so much inherent "bad-a**ery" that when they put on a bad-a** watch, the energy flows from them TO the watch, making the watch EVEN MORE bad-a**!!! Yes, it's a real scientific phenomenon that obscure mad scientists only recently discovered.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by City74 View Post
    Funniest comment this week so far . thank you :D

Quote Originally Posted by City74 View Post
    colonelpurple likes this.
    Call Sign - Wit
    Si vis pacem, para bellum
    the benevolent caretaker of a halfway house for recovering G-Shocks.
    And the grand rehabilitator strikes again.
    Quote Originally Posted by Time4Playnow View Post
    For most of us, when we wear a bad-a** watch, the characteristics of the watch "bleed over" to us -- and suddenly, WE are bad-a**es!
    For some members here though -- like Steelerswit, and Kubr1ck -- they have so much inherent "bad-a**ery" that when they put on a bad-a** watch, the energy flows from them TO the watch, making the watch EVEN MORE bad-a**!!! Yes, it's a real scientific phenomenon that obscure mad scientists only recently discovered.

Uhh...so, essentially, you say that it is OK to buy what we want...not sure I needed to be told that, but thanks anyway.
    colonelpurple and cedargrove like this.

Quote Originally Posted by timefleas View Post
    Uhh...so, essentially, you say that it is OK to buy what we want...not sure I needed to be told that, but thanks anyway.
    sure

I see so many people though, deflected against getting what they really want by some insult or gross generalisation, and then get the "crowd thing" and end up unhappy and flipping soon

Yeah, it's the same for everything if you compare what is popular with what the experts rate highest. For example (on a separate rant) you look at all the trashy TV shows that are still getting made while something great like The Expanse gets cancelled. So yeah, most people like TAGs, so if you like them it is fine.
    colonelpurple and Garcia242 like this.

While Hublot and Tag Heuer aren't particularly popular on watch forums, their designs are hardly avant-garde.
    Brey17, Rotosphere and MZhammer like this.

Patek Philippe Calatrava 5119J; Vacheron Constantin Overseas; Jaeger-LeCoultre Grande Reverso Duo; Rolex Submariner 114060; Omega Seamaster 300; Montblanc Heritage Dual Time; Tudor Black Bay.

Armida A12; Borealis Estoril; Bulova Accutron II Alpha, Moonwatch; Casio GMW-B5000D, GW-5000, GST-W310; Certina DS-2; Coach Fulton; Hamilton Khaki Field; Helson Skindiver; Orient 60th Anniversary; Seagull Tourbillon, 1963 Air Force; Seiko SNA089P, SUN025P1; Steinhart OVM; Swatch Body and Soul, Heracles, Sistem51, Uncle Charly; Victorinox Alliance, Infantry Vintage.

I hear ya. I guess it is what it is. It is something that has been since the beginning of time.
    colonelpurple likes this.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread Information