Going to buy my first non-quartz watches. Need some help

Thread: Going to buy my first non-quartz watches. Need some help

Hello everybody!

Found this forum about 3~4 weeks ago, and I'm in love with it since then. I tried to get all the information needed without needing to create a new thread, but I'm still a bit confused, and that's why I'm writing this post.

So, I've been a big fan of watches for sometime now, but since I didn't had the money, I know almost nothing about expensive watches, I just eyed them every time I could.

Anyway, now I have the opportunity to buy some watches for me, and I'm travelling to the U.S.A next month, so I decided to buy myself two watches since it's cheaper there and easier to find than in my country.

I'm going to buy a classy-looking watch and a sportier-looking one.

I'm struggling between to watches for the classy-looking one: Patek Philippe 5123R-001 - Rose Gold - Men Calatrava and the Girard-Perregaux 1966 small seconds and date (REF: 49543-52-131-BKBA).

And for the sporty-looking one I decided to go with the: Rolex Datejust II (REF: 116334).

Problem is, reading the forums I realized that none of them are quartz watches, so I started learning something about those mechanical watches. But I'm a bit confused, and since I don't want to have problems with my first "serious" (in lack of a better world) watch, I decided to ask you guys help.

Just FYI, the Patek, the Girard and the Rolex movements are (respectively): Mechanical Manually Wound, GP01890-0003 automatic and Mechanical Self-Winding.

So, I got a little bit lost there... What is the difference between a self-winding and an automatic? And what about a manual? Do I need to wind them up everyday?

Just to let you guys know, I'm thinking of using the rolex in a daily basis, and the other two (whichever I decide to go with) on special situations, dates, meetings, etc, so they won't get used everyday.

Thanks a LOT for the help already everybody, and I'm really sorry for the rookies questions. I know it is been discussed a lot here, but there a lot of contradictory information (some say u must have a winder, some say you should avoid those, etc).

Sincerely,
    Pedro.

Re: Going to buy my first non-quartz watches. Need some help

Those are some REALLY nice watches you've got your eye on there!

An automatic is self-winding, it "automatically" winds via a weighted rotor that moves when you do. A manual you have to wind via the crown to give it power. I don't know about the Patek, but some manuals have a power reserve of a few days, so winding them every day keeps them topped up if you are wearing them consistently, but isn't really necessary if you are only wearing it for a day at a time spread out. Some higher end manuals have power reserves far longer than that, as well, but they must still be wound by hand to run.

edit: If you're not really sure what would be best for you, this current thread https://forums.watchuseek.com/f2/pros...ic-834509.html covers a lot of ground in deciding between an auto and a manual.
    Last edited by RedBarchettayyz; March 19th, 2013 at 05:25.
    My Watches: Seiko Orange Monster, Orient cex0r001w, Prometheus Baiji, '84 Seiko 6309-7040, Hamilton Khaki Mechanical Field Officer's 44mm, Hamilton Pan Europ Silver, Longines Hydroconquest 41mm Blue, WUS Russian Forum Vostok 5/6 Commemorative Amphibia, Sterile 6497 Flieger, 1958 Vostok Kama, Vintage Orient King Diver, Vostok Zissou Ministry, Raven Deep Tech Vintage Blue, Rado Diastar Original Diver Blue, Helson Gauge Steel 5-60 dial
    Preordered- Helberg CH6
    "It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door.You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to"

Quote Originally Posted by RedBarchettayyz View Post
    Those are some REALLY nice watches you've got your eye on there!

An automatic is self-winding, it "automatically" winds via a weighted rotor that moves when you do. A manual you have to wind via the crown to give it power. I don't know about the Patek, but some manuals have a power reserve of a few days, so winding them every day keeps them topped up if you are wearing them consistently, but isn't really necessary if you are only wearing it for a day at a time spread out. Some higher end manuals have power reserves far longer than that, as well, but they must still be wound by hand to run.

edit: If you're not really sure what would be best for you, this current thread https://forums.watchuseek.com/f2/pros...ic-834509.html covers a lot of ground in deciding between an auto and a manual.
    Thanks for the info and for the thread link!

I just didn't clearly understand your first statement: "An automatic is self-winding, it "automatically" winds via a weighted rotor that moves when you do.".
    By "when you do" did you mean "when you wear it"?

I just read that you should wind them up at the same time everyday, like every morning before going to work for exemple, is this true?

----EDIT

Btw, you said that an automatic is the same thing as a self-winding, but the thread you sent me is "self-winding vs automatics" am I misunderstanding something?
    Last edited by TidStorm; March 19th, 2013 at 05:41.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by TidStorm View Post
    Thanks for the info and for the thread link!

I just didn't clearly understand your first statement: "An automatic is self-winding, it "automatically" winds via a weighted rotor that moves when you do.".
    By "when you do" did you mean "when you wear it"?

I just read that you should wind them up at the same time everyday, like every morning before going to work for exemple, is this true?
    Yep, for an automatic, when you wear it, the rotor spins when you move, and the spinning of a rotor winds the watch.

For manuals, my one hand-winder is a Hamilton with a normal 6497 handwound movement, and although it's power reserve is ~46 hours, when I am wearing it I wind it before leaving for work in the morning.
    My Watches: Seiko Orange Monster, Orient cex0r001w, Prometheus Baiji, '84 Seiko 6309-7040, Hamilton Khaki Mechanical Field Officer's 44mm, Hamilton Pan Europ Silver, Longines Hydroconquest 41mm Blue, WUS Russian Forum Vostok 5/6 Commemorative Amphibia, Sterile 6497 Flieger, 1958 Vostok Kama, Vintage Orient King Diver, Vostok Zissou Ministry, Raven Deep Tech Vintage Blue, Rado Diastar Original Diver Blue, Helson Gauge Steel 5-60 dial
    Preordered- Helberg CH6
    "It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door.You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to"

Yep, for an automatic, when you wear it, the rotor spins when you move, and the spinning of a rotor winds the watch.

For manuals, my one hand-winder is a Hamilton with a normal 6497 handwound movement, and although it's power reserve is ~46 hours, when I am wearing it I wind it before leaving for work in the morning.
    I think I get it now! Thanks for the help!

Only doubt that remains is self-winding vs automatic. I guess I'm misunderstanding self-winding. Does self-winding mean the watch winds itself or does it mean the owner should wind it manually?

I think I get it now! Thanks for the help!

Only doubt that remains is self-winding vs automatic. I guess I'm misunderstanding self-winding. Does self-winding mean the watch winds itself or does it mean the owner should wind it manually?
    Self-winding is automatic, as in the watch "self-winds" without you needing to crank that crown. Two terms that mean the same thing.
    Preordered- Helberg CH6

Self-winding is automatic, as in the watch "self-winds" without you needing to crank that crown. Two terms that mean the same thing.
    Thanks a lot for the help man!

Thanks a lot for the help man!
    No problem, good luck on the watch hunt!
    Preordered- Helberg CH6

I just didn't clearly understand your first statement: "An automatic is self-winding, it "automatically" winds via a weighted rotor that moves when you do.". By "when you do" did you mean "when you wear it"?

Yes. When you move your arm, the weight will swing on its shaft and wind the watch a small amount. Over the course of a day, the watch will wind itself completely.

If you so desire. Many people do so for consistency. In the case of an automatic, if you wear the watch regularly (i.e. before the spring winds down) then you will not have to wind it by hand.
    Some automatics cannot be wound by hand and the user must "shake" the watch to get it started. All of the watches you mention, however, can be hand-wound by turning the crown.

Btw, you said that an automatic is the same thing as a self-winding, but the thread you sent me is "self-winding vs automatics" am I misunderstanding something?
    That thread was improperly titled, but the information inside the thread is correct.

Best of luck.

EDIT: I see that while I was slowly writing, our Rush fan has you covered...
    Last edited by ken_sturrock; March 19th, 2013 at 06:11.

Quote Originally Posted by ken_sturrock View Post

Yes. When you move your arm, the weight will swing on its shaft and wind the watch a small amount. Over the course of a day, the watch will wind itself completely.

If you so desire. Many people do so for consistency. In the case of an automatic, if you wear the watch regularly (i.e. before the spring winds down) then you will not have to wind it by hand.
    Some automatics cannot be wound by hand and the user must "shake" the watch to get it started. All of the watches you mention, however, can be hand-wound by turning the crown.

That thread was improperly titled, but the information inside the thread is correct.

Best of luck.

EDIT: I see that while I was slowly writing, our Rush fan has you covered...

Ahh I see... Thanks for the info!

Thread Information