Gold. - Page 2
Like Tree44Likes

Thread: Gold.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Re: Gold.

My answers:

a. Yes, it is, but still has a place.
    b. No, if it's solid gold because it doesn't wear off and look cheap.
    c. Too blingy...ahh it depends, there's no such thing to some people, it's a huge matter of preference.

2. Yes, its fake but also has its place in cheap designer jewelry type watches one might wear for a certain look. (Not me.)
    3. Yes.
    4. White gold case watches are made in an extremely tiny market segment because of the enormous cost, and anyone looking to buy isn't considering SS.
    5. Subjective to the conditions at that moment, all things being acceptable...maybe, but probably not.

It looks good if tastefully done, like a rose gold bezel, and/or gold hour markers and hands on a black or white dial.
    The old Seamasters with gold markers and hands are sought after because solid gold doesn't deteriorate over time, it just
    tarnishes a little and can be polished up.

My preferance is to keep any gold I have on my fingers.

Gold.

Quote Originally Posted by Victor Cruz View Post

1. Two-tone watches:
      1. Are they now too dated, or are there still timeless models available?
      2. Do they cheapen dress-style watches?
      3. Do they make sports watches too blingy?

2. Are gold-plated/PVD watches sort of “fake”?
    3. Do any manufacturers still make 14K gold watches? If not, why?
    4. What’s the deal with white gold? Would you buy a white gold watch if it was available in SS?
    5. Would you buy a gold watch from someone other than...
    In approximate order:

Don't seen too dated for (sporty) dress watches:

Or for (dressy) sport watches:

It's an older design, so some may call it dated, but new interpretations are still available in gold and steel. I think these are unusual and timeless, but de gustibus non est disputandum. In these, the polished gold is the antidote for the brushed steel, and they look better than both the all-steel versions and the all-gold versions.

I think they only cheapen watches when the effect looks like an afterthought.

Blingy sport watches can be blingy without gold. A two-tone Breitling may be blingy, but so is the all-steel version of the same watch.

Wars have been fought over the issue of plating and being fake. If the owner is a fake, and buys a plated watch to carry out that agenda, then it will do so. But some of us like gold-colored watches with certain dress but without the budget to own solid gold watches. If the owner is not fake, neither is the watch. I own both plated and solid gold watches. Nobody is going to suspect my funky 60's gold-filled Zodiac SST is an attempt on my part to look rich.

Modern electroplate or PVD plating is not nearly as enduring as rolled gold or gold filled cases of the past. Nothing looks worse than gold with base metal showing on the sharp edges. But for a rarely worn watch in the rotation it might be fine.

14K (0.585) was the standard for American cases, which were used up through the 60's for many good Swiss watches like Longines and LeCoultre to avoid tariffs. 18K (0.750) is the standard for gold watches in Switzerland and always has been. The British standard was 9K, or "green gold" in times of yore. Pretty much all precious metal watch cases these days are Swiss and 18K.

Some high-end companies offer some models only in precious metals to keep the price up. And white gold or platinum were the blond alternatives to silver in the days before practical stainless steel. Some traditions die hard. The AP Royal Oak was revolutionary in part because it was the first high-dollar steel watch, and it came out in the 70's.

I'd buy a gold watch from any reputable company if the hallmarks say what they should. If I didn't trust appropriate hallmarks, there would be a reason that would shoo me away no matter what the material.

Rick "who has a vintage 18K gold JLC in Santa's keeping and has been researching hallmarks" Denney
    Last edited by Rdenney; August 23rd, 2014 at 20:54.
    Zenith: Captain Chronograph 03.2110.400*; Cartier: Santos 100 XL Concord: Mariner, C1 Big-Date, C1 v.2 Chronograph; Ebel: Chronosport 1134901, Tekton 9137L83*, Type E 9137C41* (*=COSC)
    Ebel: 1911 BTR 9137L73* and 9139L71*, 1911 1120L41*, 1911 Senior 9080241, Brasilias 9120M41 (2), Aquatica 500 9120K61, Classic Hexagon GMT 9301F61, Classic 100 LE 9120R41; Baume & Mercier: Capeland World-Timer
    Heuer: Carrera 1964 Re-Edition CS3110; Maurice Lacroix: Masterpiece MP6439; "Seagull": 1963 Reissue cal. ST19; Seiko: Black Monster SRP307; Poljot: Sturmanskie cal. 3133; Tissot: T-Touch Lew and Huey: Acciona
    Vintage: JLC: ref. 2953, ca. 1946; Longines: Flagship cal 285; Zodiac: SST cal. 86, Aerospace GMT cal. 72; Favre-Leuba: cal. 253; Tianjin: Dong Feng cal. ST5; Elgin: Gr. 152 (1898), Gr. 384 (1919); Ebel: ca. 1962 ref. 9214955
    WUS: ST5 Project Watches (Black and Blue), F72.2014.DG3804 (Gray and Cream); Swatch: Sistem 51 Blue; TNT: Rattrapante cal. Rochat 7750+RAT-1

I'm not one for yellow gold. I think it was ruined for me in the 90s when every other rapper and gangster started wearing 30 kilos of nickel painted in gold coloring. I didn't care much for it then, but after that . . . It works for necklaces and earrings, but not for watches for me. Rose gold I like. I would never go for plated because it wears off and looks hideous. And for me, only dress watches can pull off gold. Gold divers are like those dumb AMG SUVs or SVT pickup trucks. What's the point of turning a workman's watch into something that can't be used for work? It's the rare gold bracelet on a non-gold watch that works for me.
    Current Collection - | Ball | Bvlgari | Casio | Citizen | Credor | Girard-Perregaux | Graham | Gübelin | Hamilton | Jaeger-LeCoultre | Longines | Minase | Mühle Glashütte | NOMOS Glashütte | Omega | Rolex | Seiko | Undone | Vacheron Constantin | Victorinox Swiss Army |
    Mulling Over - | Minase Horizon | Reservoir |
    On deck - | Omega Speedmaster Apollo 11 50th Anniversary |

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I like gold.
    The first 3 from the left are 18k the rest 14k.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Victor Cruz and drhr like this.

Name:  001.JPG
Views: 243
Size:  68.1 KB
    See earlier post...Some may not be able to put an adequate face to the name I've added this photo.
    Top row left to right:Breitling Cockpit, Parmigiani Tonda 39, Chopard Classic Mark III
    Bottom left to right: Bvlgari Diogono, Rolex Day-Date, Movado quartz....I did not add the Movado in my original text(It's quartz)
    Any watches posted may be seen as gifts,borrowed or found property and not as personal property of Little Big Feather.

Quote Originally Posted by Rdenney View Post

14K (0.585) was the standard for American cases, which were used up through the 60's for many good Swiss watches like Longines and LeCoultre to avoid tariffs. 18K (0.750) is the standard for gold watches in Switzerland and always has been. The British standard was 9K, or "green gold" in times of yore. Pretty much all precious metal watch cases these days are Swiss and 18K.

Interesting, it makes perfect sense. Thank you. The reason why I asked is because I thought 14K would be more durable and less prone to scratching. I've seen vintage 14K Omegas that are immaculate.

Here's a 21 year old dressy TT that's still ticking but doesn't get much use these days.
    Last edited by Victor Cruz; August 24th, 2014 at 00:23.

Quote Originally Posted by Victor Cruz View Post
    I’ve always liked gold. As a youngster, I liked collecting (small) gold coins from around the world. As I grew older, never being much into jewelry, when I did buy something, it would be gold, but never thick or gaudy.

When I started looking at and buying watches, they needed to have some gold features. Now, not so much.

I started wondering about and have some questions. Please answer any, all, or none if you please, thanks:

1. Two-tone watches:
      1. Are they now too dated, or are there still timeless models available?
      2. Do they cheapen dress-style watches?
      3. Do they make sports watches too blingy?

2. Are gold-plated/PVD watches sort of “fake”?
    3. Do any manufacturers still make 14K gold watches? If not, why?
    4. What’s the deal with white gold? Would you buy a white gold watch if it was available in SS?
    5. Would you buy a gold watch from someone other than PP, VC, ALS, PP, JLC, Breguet, Rolex, (maybe Omega) or some small micro luxury manufacture?
    1.1 TT is out for men's watches currently, though it is coming back in women's fashion, will men follow IDK.
    1.2 For me TT does indeed cheapen the look of a dress watch (unless the gold is all under the crystal)
    1.3 For ME soft metals and sports watches don't make a lot of sense

2. modern plated watches just don't last, some of the vintage ones were very heavily plated though
    3. 18K gold is the watch industry standard now, over the years it has gone from many percentages of gold to either plated or 18K
    4. While I don't own any yellow/red gold watches I do own platinum and WG but only because they were not available in SS
    5. No, I would only buy gold watches from the proper high end, not even Rolex save a Cellini if I liked them.

The problem with digesting my opinions is I do not like any of the colored noble metals, which differs from the OP.

I love real yellow gold. It has a warmth that only aged brass can touch. When I get around to robbing a few banks I'm going to buy me a gold Calatrava and a gold Cartier Tank. For my tastes anything less that 18ct isn't worth paying for.

While I do like rose gold IMO 'white gold' is tits on a bull. Why spend top dollar for gold that doesn't even look like gold?

When I was but a young spud we lived in La Jolla and used to do Baja all the time. This was long before 5 went through, and Baja was still pristine and gorgeous. There was a little taqueria in La Paz we used to go to, and the proprieter had ALL of his teeth capped in gold. I'm talking every single one. That really blew my young, impressionable mind. This was half a century ago and I can see it in my mind as if it was yesterday. As sort of an homage to that memory I had all my three crowns done in gold.
    I am Dyslexia of Borg. Futility is resistant. Your ass will be laminated.

Quote Originally Posted by ilitig8 View Post
    The problem with digesting my opinions is I do not like any of the colored noble metals, which differs from the OP.
    Your opinions are easily digested.

Do you dislike colored metals because of their showiness?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread Information