Gold. - Page 5
Like Tree44Likes

Thread: Gold.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Re: Gold.

Quote Originally Posted by TimelessFan View Post

White gold all day everyday.
    Given the subdued design of that Vacheron Constantin, the thin case and bezel, and the black alligator strap, it wouldn't look flashy even if it was in yellow or rose gold.

Patek Philippe Calatrava 5119J; Vacheron Constantin Overseas; Jaeger-LeCoultre Grande Reverso Duo; Rolex Submariner 114060; Omega Seamaster 300; Montblanc Heritage Dual Time; Tudor Black Bay, Black Bay GMT.

Armida A12; Borealis Estoril; Bulova Accutron II Alpha, Moonwatch; Casio GMW-B5000D, GW-5000, GST-W310; Coach Fulton; Hamilton Khaki Field; Helson Skindiver; Ming 17.06; Orient 60th Anniversary; Seagull Tourbillon, 1963 Air Force; Seiko SNA089P, SUN025P1; Steinhart OVM; Swatch Body and Soul, Heracles, Uncle Charly; Victorinox Alliance, Infantry Vintage.

Quote Originally Posted by Victor Cruz View Post
    Two-tone watches:

1. Are they now too dated, or are there still timeless models available?
      2. Do they cheapen dress-style watches?
      3. Do they make sports watches too blingy?

1. Are gold-plated/PVD watches sort of “fake”?
    2. Do any manufacturers still make 14K gold watches? If not, why?
    3. What’s the deal with white gold? Would you buy a white gold watch if it was available in SS?
    4. Would you buy a gold watch from someone other than PP, VC, ALS, PP, JLC, Breguet, Rolex, (maybe Omega) or some small micro luxury manufacture?
    1.1 Timeless designs look like vintage designs -- which isn't a bad thing. Just as there was music from fifty years ago that didn't survive, there were watch designs that didn't survive and weren't worth reviving. The good ones, however, always look good.
    1.2 I think they do. See my answer for #2.
    1.3 Gold on a sports watch automatically launches/dumps it into "bling" territory, IMO.
    2. "Fake" all the way, IMO. You get the style but without the long-term durability. If you want a watch that ages quickly, get one that's plated.
    3. Doubt any do, and I don't know why. Maybe 14k isn't hypoallergenic enough to be worth the price tag? Or maybe just an image associated with the number.
    4. Ya know, I might. I don't always like the color of gold as it's obvious from a distance, but I like to think that white gold will last for a hundred years. If I wanted to get a watch that I intended to hand down in the future, white gold would be a candidate if I could easily afford it.
    5. Not sure. I'd want it to have service support a long time from now, and if the brand is too small, I may not bother.

All that said, there's a two-tone configuration that I kinda like -- steel case, light-colored dial, with gold markers and hands. Many manufacturers have some models like that.

I'd like to try this:

Name:  Sub TT.JPG
Views: 187
Size:  85.1 KB

And something like this:

Name:  longines-flagship-p142-3.jpg
Views: 192
Size:  40.4 KB

Am the only person in the history of the world to like these:

Name:  ludwig_mocca_front_z1.png
Views: 199
Size:  257.4 KBName:  Nomos Mocca.jpg
Views: 193
Size:  35.3 KB

Plus I'm a fan of them:

Name:  jack-lambert-mean-joe-greene-001350238.jpg
Views: 191
Size:  68.9 KB

So the answer is "yes" and "it depends"...

...because:

Name:  BB.jpg
Views: 209
Size:  78.7 KB

Name:  jlc.jpg
Views: 185
Size:  58.8 KB

The former is the Steelers ridiculous bumblebee throwbacks and the latter looks like the ugliest eel in the ocean.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

As a fellow fan of :

I still don't like :

But I DO like :

Hmmm.... I'd also like one of these for game days :

Name:  Chopard-Grand-Prix-Monaco-Historique-Chrono-6.jpg
Views: 142
Size:  217.3 KB
    ​Grand Seiko SBGE033, Jaquest Droz Grande Seconde, Breitling Navitimer Cosmonaute, Prometheus Piranha, Orient Wingman, Zeppelin Flatline 7366-3, Glashutte Original PanoMaticLunar, Epos Emotion 3390, Steinhart Ocean 2 Premium, Hamilton Khaki Field, Omega 1965 Vintage, Seiko 5 SNKK27, Seiko 1977 Vintage, Nomos Orion 38, Wittnauer 1960's Vintage, Movado SL1 Chrono, Seiko SBQK085, Cyma Le Locle, Casio Oceanus OCW-S100-1AJF

Quote Originally Posted by TimelessFan View Post
    White gold all day everyday.
    Yeah, but do you think it would diminish the beauty of this watch if it was in SS? Not that it should ever happen, but just based on the look...

Quote Originally Posted by BarracksSi View Post
    1.1 Timeless designs look like vintage designs -- which isn't a bad thing. Just as there was music from fifty years ago that didn't survive, there were watch designs that didn't survive and weren't worth reviving. The good ones, however, always look good.
    1.2 I think they do. See my answer for #2.
    1.3 Gold on a sports watch automatically launches/dumps it into "bling" territory, IMO.
    2. "Fake" all the way, IMO. You get the style but without the long-term durability. If you want a watch that ages quickly, get one that's plated.
    3. Doubt any do, and I don't know why. Maybe 14k isn't hypoallergenic enough to be worth the price tag? Or maybe just an image associated with the number.
    4. Ya know, I might. I don't always like the color of gold as it's obvious from a distance, but I like to think that white gold will last for a hundred years. If I wanted to get a watch that I intended to hand down in the future, white gold would be a candidate if I could easily afford it.
    5. Not sure. I'd want it to have service support a long time from now, and if the brand is too small, I may not bother.

All that said, there's a two-tone configuration that I kinda like -- steel case, light-colored dial, with gold markers and hands. Many manufacturers have some models like that.
    1.3- true, but as blingy as MickeyLacroix's sub may be, it is still iconic. Perhaps it cannot truly be considered a sports watch, but damn if that doesn't have a certain wrist appeal!

3 - please look at RDenney's explanation above. It seems to be an accurate assessment.
    4 - great point!

Quote Originally Posted by ljb187 View Post
    I'd like to try this. YES!!!

Name:  Sub TT.JPG
Views: 187
Size:  85.1 KB

And something like this: vintage,maybe.

Name:  longines-flagship-p142-3.jpg
Views: 192
Size:  40.4 KB

Am the only person in the history of the world to like these: no, doesn't make sense to me at 4x price of SS. IMO It just doesn't add anything to the appeal of the watch.

Plus I'm a fan of the. my wife is from PIT, so we're often at opposite ends of the family room on Sundays

So the answer is "yes" and "it depends"...

...because:

Name:  jlc.jpg
Views: 185
Size:  58.8 KB

The former is the Steelers ridiculous bumblebee throwbacks and the latter looks like the ugliest eel in the ocean. so totally agree!
    as above.
    ljb187 likes this.

Just realized that I've owned a handful of colored gold watches over time but they've all moved on. Guess my preferred metal color is white.
    #4 Many times no choice. Would always take stainless over white gold from a cost/price perspective . . .
    #5 If I like the look and can afford to have it, wouldn't care much who manufactures the watch or watches . . .
    A.Lange & Sohne *anOrdain * Audemars Piguet * Blancpain * Cartier * Dornblueth & Sohne * Invicta * Jaeger-LeCoultre * Méraud * Rolex * Revolution Watch Company * Tiffany & Company * Tudor

"the deeper the roots, the higher the reach" - author unknown

Yesterday I was clever, so I wanted to change the world. Today I am wise, so I am changing myself. - Rumi

Quote Originally Posted by mikeylacroix View Post
    Holy f**kstick Batman! I never thought I'd see the day. That is the very first Rolex I've ever seen that I would wear without a gun put to my head. Very nice indeed. Too bad I'll never be able to afford it. 8^(
    mikeylacroix likes this.
    I am Dyslexia of Borg. Futility is resistant. Your ass will be laminated.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Dienekes View Post
    In my view gold is still in style as long as the watch is on a strap. Gold bracelets however not so much TT or other. No offense to those who love them....
    This. Gold, any gold, on strap -- classic.

The two white gold pieces I own aren't offered in ss. Frankly, I can't tell the difference between platinum, white gold and ss, but sure would rather pay ss price.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread Information