GOLD - A brief discussion
Like Tree133Likes

Thread: GOLD - A brief discussion

Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

GOLD - A brief discussion

Good evening everyone and a very merry Christmas (Eve) to you all, I hope you've now all finished work and can put your feet up... for a day at least.

My story begins with the sad passing of my Grandfather (mothers side) a few years ago, he was a great Yorkshire man and one of the most intelligent men that I've ever met. From very humble beginnings he got himself a degree from the Open University and became an engineer for several power stations. However, he was never a watch guy - that was always my Dad and his father. Now, his retirement gift has appeared. A NOS Omega gold plated Seamaster day date. It's not particularly collectable but obviously has huge sentimental value and my Grandmother has been kind enough to pass this watch on to me. Without a doubt I'll wear this watch, enjoy this watch and treasure this watch but it has made me think...

Under normal circumstances, I would NEVER wear gold. A brief background - I'm 20 years old, in my final year of university studies with a job in recruitment lined up for when I graduate. I personally have virtually no money (spent most of my savings on being a student) and my family are lower middle class. We're neither struggling nor affluent. For me, gold in my generation seems very obnoxious, arrogant and ostentatious and I wouldn't every consider buying a gold piece! I never see my peers wearing gold and I think that they all feel the same way that I do... In contrast, I often see men in their 60's, 70's, 80's etc... on the bus wearing gold and it looks completely normal. My Grandfather obviously didn't consider it ostentatious otherwise he would have gone for steel! My question is, why does gold look acceptable, normal and even understated on the "more experienced" members of society but look so eye catchingly garish on the rest of us?

Should it be acceptable for us 20something's to wear a gold piece or should we leave that to when we mature a little?

(Photo from Google)

Name:  maxresdefault.jpg
Views: 700
Size:  62.3 KB

Re: GOLD - A brief discussion

"Your generation", news flash for you, Gold is real wealth, its been that way for 5K+ years.
    Robotaz, aria230, ilitig8 and 4 others like this.

Have you considered putting it on a black or brown leather strap? I think this would go some way towards removing the "bling factor".

I see a lot of twentysomethings wearing gold coloured fashion watches these days. Maybe it won't draw as much attention as you're worried that it might?
    ilitig8, aria230, schrop and 1 others like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by aria230 View Post
    My question is, why does gold look acceptable, normal and even understated on the "more experienced" members of society but look so eye catchingly garish on the rest of us?
    To me, it's also a question of whether it's an all gold watch, or an understated gold dress watch on a leather strap.

STEVIE and bigclive2011 like this.

Patek Philippe Calatrava 5119J; Vacheron Constantin Overseas; Jaeger-LeCoultre Grande Reverso Duo; Rolex Submariner 114060; Omega Seamaster 300; Montblanc Heritage Dual Time; Tudor Black Bay, Black Bay GMT.

Armida A12; Borealis Estoril; Bulova Accutron II Alpha, Moonwatch; Casio GMW-B5000D, GW-5000, GST-W310; Coach Fulton; Hamilton Khaki Field; Helson Skindiver; Ming 17.06; Orient 60th Anniversary; Seagull Tourbillon, 1963 Air Force; Seiko SNA089P, SUN025P1; Steinhart OVM; Swatch Body and Soul, Heracles, Uncle Charly; Victorinox Alliance, Infantry Vintage.

Quote Originally Posted by milnec View Post
    Have you considered putting it on a black or brown leather strap? I think this would go some way towards removing the "bling factor".

I see a lot of twentysomethings wearing gold coloured fashion watches these days. Maybe it won't draw as much attention as you're worried that it might?
    Thanks for your reply, great suggestion but I think I'll keep the bracelet on this piece as I don't particularly like the aesthetics of this case with a strap and due to the sentimental value I really don't care if people think I'm trying to be "blingy" or show off! I was thinking more hypothetically or maybe towards future pieces.
    milnec likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by mleok View Post
    To me, it's also a question of whether it's an all gold watch, or an understated gold dress watch on a leather strap.

You could be on to something there.

Keep in mind the color of precious metals goes in and out of style. For the past few years white precious metals have been in style with yellow gold at the bottom of the fashion totem pole.

My point being I don't know it is as much a generational thing as what is fashionable at the time of purchase. The older we get the less likely we are to follow fashion and start seeing "our" style as being timeless. Me I bought my first precious metal watches when white PM was in, I doubt I will ever embrace yellow gold, for me it comes with the baggage of 1980s TT and full gold Rolex watches on Wall Street wrists. Just a personal thing.

Now a legacy watch like yours I would wear with pride BUT I personally would go with the advice of milnic above and put it on a nice leather strap.
    aria230 likes this.
    ALS Blancpain Breguet Chopard GO Hamilton Hexa Hublot IWC JLC Omega Panerai Patek Rolex Tag Tudor Seiko Sinn UN Vacheron

Thanks for your reply, great suggestion but I think I'll keep the bracelet on this piece as I don't particularly like the aesthetics of this case with a strap and due to the sentimental value I really don't care if people think I'm trying to be "blingy" or show off! I was thinking more hypothetically or maybe towards future pieces.
    You do you brother!!

That watch would require a custom strap but it wouldn;t be a big deal to get a great one, but I see where you are coming from. For me the head of a watch is the important bit, I switch out straps/bracelets on a whim.
    ALS Blancpain Breguet Chopard GO Hamilton Hexa Hublot IWC JLC Omega Panerai Patek Rolex Tag Tudor Seiko Sinn UN Vacheron

Quote Originally Posted by ilitig8 View Post
    You do you brother!!

That watch would require a custom strap but it wouldn;t be a big deal to get a great one, but I see where you are coming from. For me the head of a watch is the important bit, I switch out straps/bracelets on a whim.
    I agree with you to some extent, on all my other watches I happily switch straps around but for some reason I really don't want to take the bracelet of this one.

For me, gold in my generation seems very obnoxious, arrogant and ostentatious and I wouldn't every consider buying a gold piece!
    Obnoxious, arrogant, and ostentatious ... PLUS ... spoiled, entitled, ungrateful and (generally speaking) ignorant, describes 20-something millennials (YOUR generation) to the letter!

I find it interesting that your generation has no problem wearing gold hideously displayed in their teeth and gold rings in their nose, ears, and nipples but, HEAVEN FORBID, A GOLD WATCH!?!?

To me, gold signifies maturity, sophistication, and confidence, something obviously void in your generation. So ... NO ... don't wear it ... you don't deserve it, but here's a novel idea ...

Find a soldier your age who has served in combat and lost a limb, or is otherwise disabled, and present it to them as thanks for their service and sacrifice in your place. Their unselfish act allowed you the freedom to play girly-girl at the university while they exposed themselves to the harsh reality of war.

Now THAT would give your gold Omega the home it so rightfully deserves.

OkeefenokeJoe
    Watchbreath, John MS and watchRus like this.

Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Thread Information