Gold tone/plating for Citizen

Thread: Gold tone/plating for Citizen

Gold tone/plating for Citizen

I posted this over in the Seiko/Citizen thread but didn't get any answers. I've also tried getting an answer directly from Citizen to no avail, so I thought I'd try and see if anyone here could help. I am interested in getting the AR1113-04a model which is said to have a gold "tone." I've read up on the differences between tone, plating, and PVD and heard the anecdotes about how some brands have the coating wear off within only a couple months. After reading through a lot of the threads on this site, there seems to be a mixed feeling about the longevity of these coatings, and I have gathered that it varies between brands. As such, does anyone have any insight on the quality of Citizen's plating/tone? Anyone know how many microns are on this model or how many are typically used for "gold tone"? How long should I expect this to last if I wear it a couple times a week with a long sleeve shirt? Thanks everyone in advance.

Re: Gold tone/plating for Citizen

Citizen makes good watches and I am sure use good materials, but most gold "plating" and such for something like this is usually 2-5 microns thick at the most (and I am probably being generous with that assumption), until you get into the higher priced brands/manufactuers.

At that thickness, it will probably not hold up to much heavy/friction or contact over the long haul. But if you are careful and watch how you wear it, it should be ok.

Just depends on what is going to come in contact with and how frequent will that contact repeat itself- i.e- typing on a computer keyboard everyday, etc.
    "Either he's dead or my watch has stopped"
    Groucho Marx

"The only reason for time is so that everything does not happen at once..."
    Albert Einstein

Is it always a plating? I thought on some cheap 'gold tone' watches there was no real gold plating but the steel was coloured so it wouldn't wear off.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

The wording "gold tone" possibly implies, in my mind at least, that there isn't any actual gold used in the plating process. It could be coated with Titanium Nitride, which has a Moh's hardness of 9, making it very hard and unlikely to rub off.

Thread Information