Gold watch with leather strap
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Gold watch with leather strap

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Gold watch with leather strap

Hey guys. I've been wanting to buy a watch with a gold tone and a leather strap and i was wondering if you guys have seen any good ones. i saw some from Flud but i've been questioning the quality of Flud watches.

my inspiration was a gold daytona (just happens to be rose gold)
    Name:  BASELWORLD-2011---COSMOGRAPH-DAYTONA-116515LN-%u002525E2%2580%2593-BLACK-ALLIGATOR-LEATHER.jpg
Views: 4419
Size:  52.5 KB

now i dont have the money to get a gold daytona but i found this Hugo Boss one for around $315 (my budget being around $350)
    Name:  Boss%u00252BWatches%2BHB-2020.jpg
Views: 6779
Size:  62.9 KB

really don't like the white area in the face though. rather have the face be gold all over.

If you guys know any gold toned watches (that don't have a white or black area in the face) and a leather strap, help me out. thanks

Re: Gold watch with leather strap

Quote Originally Posted by megamorter View Post
    Hey guys. I've been wanting to buy a watch with a gold tone and a leather strap and i was wondering if you guys have seen any good ones. i saw some from Flud but i've been questioning the quality of Flud watches.

my inspiration was a gold daytona (just happens to be rose gold)

now i dont have the money to get a gold daytona but i found this Hugo Boss one for around $315 (my budget being around $350)

really don't like the white area in the face though. rather have the face be gold all over.

If you guys know any gold toned watches (that don't have a white or black area in the face) and a leather strap, help me out. thanks
    Here's the thing, gold tone doesn't cut it. Modern electroplated watches have such a thin gold finish that in just a few short years you'll be starting at a partially gold tone watch. I've seen this happen quite readily with gold tone buckles. It may be visible sooner than just a couple of year.

Given your budget, it may be your only choice if you want gold tone. I'd suggest saving up for a vintage gold capped watch. However, that may still not fit you needs if you really want a chrono. Maybe a SS would be the best choice given your budget.

Mike

Banned

Save a few more bucks and get a Hamilton Jazzmaster in rose/pink gold. They have silver and black dial versions in tonneau and round cases of different sizes.
    Perseus likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Anywhere there's wine, women, and no warrants for my arrest

Quote Originally Posted by panamamike View Post
    Here's the thing, gold tone doesn't cut it. Modern electroplated watches have such a thin gold finish that in just a few short years you'll be starting at a partially gold tone watch.
    It's true most modern gold plating is quite thin, especially at the under-$500 price point. But we also have the more modern PVD methods available to us. PVD has much greater hardness and durability than gold plating (electro- or otherwise).

The other option is gold-filled (basically a shorter way of saying "really thick plating") but in modern watches that equals mucho $$$$. However, gold-fill technique was more commonly used in ~1950s-1980s.

So my suggestion: Either look for a current watch that uses PVD (physical vapor deposition) to achieve the gold tone, or seek out a vintage gold filled watch.

One possibility for you...

This Guess watch (W95086G1) has the rose-gold-and-brown colors of the Daytona that inspired you. Brown leather strap. And a chronograph, albeit with an unusual layout. ~under $200

Name:  w95086g1-1.jpg
Views: 3484
Size:  50.2 KB

Only new watch I've seen that fits both your specs and your pricepoint. Black and white faces are by far the most common.
    recently graduated from quartz fashion watches to this:
    Christiaan van der Klaauw Ariadne

wishlist:
    Martin Braun Selene (meteorite face), Jochen Benzinger 3/4 Skeleton

dreamlist:
    van der Klaauw Planetarium, Patek Phillipe Sky Moon Tourbillon, Ulysse Nardin Tellurium, IWC Portuguese Siderale Scafusia

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Baron Of Cats View Post
    PVD has much greater hardness and durability than gold plating (electro- or otherwise).
    No it doesn't. PVD is an acronym (Physical Vapor Deposition) for a process used to plate a substance onto a preformed object - meaning it's just another way to plate one substance over another instead of electroplating. The hardness depends on what element is being vaporized and plated onto the watch case. TiCN (titanium carbonitride) is typically used to make the receiving object more scratch resistant. It has a hardness like a diamond, in the range of 3600 Vickers or more. If you use PVD to gold plate, it doesn't make the gold any harder.

Sinn's Tegimented steel has a hardness of 1200-ish Vickers.
    Last edited by Doodler; February 1st, 2012 at 22:34. Reason: spell corrector got me again

It's true most modern gold plating is quite thin, especially at the under-$500 price point. But we also have the more modern PVD methods available to us. PVD has much greater hardness and durability than gold plating (electro- or otherwise).
    PVD is a better way to apply the gold, but it's still only microns thick. It will hold better, but will still eventually wear off...

The other option is gold-filled (basically a shorter way of saying "really thick plating") but in modern watches that equals mucho $$$$. However, gold-fill technique was more commonly used in ~1950s-1980s.
    GF = Gold Capped = Gold Plate = Plaque. check out this link to see more.

Gold-filled jewelry - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Electroplate is typically 5 microns or can be as thin as 2.5 microns. This is very thin. A micron is 1/1000 of a mm! It really doesn't take much to take it off.

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by Doodler View Post
    No it doesn't. PVD is an acronym (Physical Vapor Deposition) for a process used to plate a substance onto a preformed object - meaning it's just another way to plate one substance over another instead of electroplating. The hardness depends on what element is being vaporized and plated onto the watch case. TiCN (titanium carbonitride) is typically used to make the receiving object more scratch resistant. It has a hardness like a diamond, in the range of 3600 Vickers or more. If you use PVD to gold plate, it doesn't make the gold any harder.
    OK, I stand corrected there. I oversimplified the matter, but I was not meaning to imply that PVD is a magic process to make gold harder. Rather that the typical PVD-finished watch is going to have a more durable finish than one plated by other means. i.e. Wouldn't it be true to say that as typically applied in watchmaking to get a gold tone the PVD process will normally include TiCN, thereby increasing the durability of said "gold tone" finish?

Quote Originally Posted by panamamike
    GF = Gold Capped = Gold Plate = Plaque. check out this link to see more.
    Right, but quoting directly from said link "In the USA the quality of gold filled is defined by the Federal Trade Commission. If the gold layer is 10 kt fineness the minimum layer of karat gold in an item stamped GF must equal at least 1/10 the weight of the total item."

If I market my item as "gold plated" there is no such minimum requirement. Consequently, and again correct me if I am wrong, wouldn't it be correct to say that in typical watchmaking applications a watch marketed as "gold filled" is in the majority of cases going to have a thicker layer of gold than one marketed only as "gold plated"?

By all means correct me further if need be. There seems to be a lot of conflicting information about this stuff out there. Heck, even some jewelry salesmen are confused.

Banned

OK, I stand corrected there. I oversimplified the matter, but I was not meaning to imply that PVD is a magic process to make gold harder. Rather that the typical PVD-finished watch is going to have a more durable finish than one plated by other means. i.e. Wouldn't it be true to say that as typically applied in watchmaking to get a gold tone the PVD process will normally include TiCN, thereby increasing the durability of said "gold tone" finish?
    No, it isn't typical at all to have TiCN applied with gold. Usually the gold is plated directly to the base metal case. If TiCN is used, the gold layer is applied after the TiCN (or any other material), so the gold is just as susceptible to scratching and denting as if it were applied in any manner of plating.

Quote Originally Posted by Doodler View Post
    No, it isn't typical at all to have TiCN applied with gold. Usually the gold is plated directly to the base metal case. If TiCN is used, the gold layer is applied after the TiCN (or any other material), so the gold is just as susceptible to scratching and denting as if it were applied in any manner of plating.
    Well, if that isn't just the direct opposite of something I had read elsewhere. Go figure. Thanks for the clarification.
    recently graduated from quartz fashion watches to this:
    Christiaan van der Klaauw Ariadne

wishlist:
    Martin Braun Selene (meteorite face), Jochen Benzinger 3/4 Skeleton

dreamlist:
    van der Klaauw Planetarium, Patek Phillipe Sky Moon Tourbillon, Ulysse Nardin Tellurium, IWC Portuguese Siderale Scafusia

thanks for the insight about gold plated. i know a guy who's a goldsmith and i'mma ask him about some watches that are pvded with more durable materials

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information