Good Automatic mechanical for under $400
Like Tree19Likes

Thread: Good Automatic mechanical for under $400

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Good Automatic mechanical for under $400

I'm trying to find a new beater or daily wear watch. I was kind of set on Invicta until after I did some searching and reading on them here. I don't really want to put my money in something like that if I don't have fiull confidence in the brand; and I don't. So far, I have been recommended Seiko, Citizen, and a smaller company called NFW. I'm trying to narrow my search but everytime I gain a little ground something happens and I feel like I must start over again. The watch will be worn pretty much every day. I have a nicer Rolex GMT II with pepsi dial, but I only wear it for special occasions. I'm looking for something of similar build and features, but not the same kind of watch. I don't want another submariner look watch, especially with a red and blue bezel because I already have it. This, as we all know, seems to be the most commonly copied watch stylewise. I don't dive, so a watch that is capable of going 500ft deep isn't a necessity. Seems alot of emphasis is put on dive watches. I would like for it to be water resistant though. Some things I'm looking for--Stainless construction throughout and solid construction throughout (links and all). I don't wan't another watch with "stainless wrapped" links and a potmetal case that is plated. No gold - I don't like yellow gold at all. That has seemed to be kind of a barrier in my search. I'm not really crazy about other colors either, like gunmetal or else. I do like the occasional black watch, but only if it is a stainless that has been plated with some tough form of black that won't wear off easily. -Automatic mechanical movement. I think this is neat, and would prefer it over a battery or quartz watch. In my mind, if I am going to pay the kind of money I'm willing to pay for a watch, I'd like for it to be a mechanical. I want it to be the best I can get for the money though, because I need it to work. It's hard to justify the money for something like this if it will quit a year or two down the road and not be reliable. Losing a little time either way each day is not a huge issue either. -Can be a chronograph. I don't necessarily need this, I'm just interested in it. I have no idea what chronograph really means. All I know is that most watches that have it feature three smaller dials. What those dials do seems to vary from watch to watch. I also like the plain dials just fine, but I like for there to be something of substance there. I like the mother of pearl dials and also the more exotic stuff like meteorite, but I know I probably can't afford it in a better name brand watch. Still doesn't hurt to search for it and maybe find it. -I'm not against buying used. As long as the watch is in decent condition and not showing deep gouge marks from wear / scratches and chips on the crystal, I'm good. Also being a mechaincal, I don't think it would be wise to buy one ten years old...I feel like the movement may start to wear over time. -I don't need an exibition caseback. While neat to look at, I don't have to have it. -I like the GMT stuff because of the 24 hour read. I don't have to have it but I think it's neat.Mainly I'm just looking for comapnies or brands I should look at. I relaize there are a gazillion different watches out there that fit the bill, but I would like to know what my options are before I purchase and regret my decision. Thanks for the help.

Re: Good Automatic mechanical for under $400

Just for the record, I had spaces and paragraphs in the post, but for some reason my posts get all crammed together on this forum. I don't know if it is my browser or a setting here. Sorry for the inconvenience.

Check out Victorinox for a mechanical under $400.
    Perrelet Seacraft Chrono
    Oris Aquis Chrono
    Perrelet Seacraft GM
    Edox ERC Chronorally
    Seiko Monster
    Sumo

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Everytime someone asks for a watch at about this price range i always recommend An SKX007, and they make a GREAT beater!

Quote Originally Posted by Reliefcp View Post
    Check out Victorinox for a mechanical under $400.
    Who actually makes the Victorinox watches? They look like decent deals, but the last thing I want to do is put a good bit of money into somehting that was probably made in a sweatshop in China, not saying they are, but I know there are some that are, and I want to avoid that kind of product.
    CitizenM likes this.

It may be hard to find a highly regarded automatic that meets all your criteria for <$400.00. So maybe try buying used or maybe spend more time perusing WUS and you'll decide differently? You may want to try an all-Russian automatic watch like the highly regarded Vostok Amphibia, for <$100.00 as a start. Lots more on those in the WUS Russian forum.

Sodiac
    Too many watches, only two wrists and never enough time...

You've got a few choices here, none will light your world on fire, be mindful of that.

The Seiko SKX007--Well regarded dive watch, less than half your budget.

Then there's the Bernhardt Binnacle Anchor--another well regarded, albeit microbrand. Not a dive watch, but 200m water resistant, as I recall. Again, about half your budget.

And there's one of my personal favorites in this budget, the Hamilton King Scuba Day/Date Automatic--fair warning, it's about $50 over budget.

I'm sure there are others, but this is what I've got off the top of my head. All photos borrowed.
    CitizenM likes this.
    TAG Heuer Monaco LE|Omega Speedmaster|Seamaster 300MC|Rolex Submariner|Tudor Ranger

How did it get so late so soon?

I would shoot for something like a Tissot PRS516 automatic with a silver dial or a Laco Pilot with a Miyota movement.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Last edited by JorgeT; December 7th, 2011 at 21:06.
    CitizenM likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by J S Machine View Post
    Who actually makes the Victorinox watches? They look like decent deals, but the last thing I want to do is put a good bit of money into somehting that was probably made in a sweatshop in China, not saying they are, but I know there are some that are, and I want to avoid that kind of product.
    About the term "Swiss Army"
    There is sometimes confusion about the term "Swiss Army" as it applies to knives and watches. The Swiss Army in Switzerland (meaning the actual country of Switzerland's army) licenses and procures their "Swiss Army" knives from two companies, Victorinox and Wenger (now both under the same ownership) and has for over a century, so they are both legally and commonly called "Swiss Army" knives. However, only Victorinox Swiss Army Watches can say "Swiss Army" on the dial, they are the only "real" Swiss Army Watches. Also, originally the watches made by Victorinox were made with only "Swiss Army" on the dial. In the last few years, the watches have been produced with the "Victorinox Swiss Army" designation on the label, as Victorinox emphasizes and celebrates its brand heritage The transition between the two designations was not done overnight, but gradually as the company and its retailers sold the inventory with the old brand designation. Both Victorinox Swiss Army and Swiss Army watches are made by the same company and are the same watch. Many styles (over 100) were made using both designations on the label. As of 2009, it is less common to encounter a new watch that simply says Swiss Army on the dial.

The above info presented by Princeton Watches. Not sure if it is verified.

In addition. You like him or not, here is his response about Victorinox Swiss Army. Of course, his opinion is his opinion.

http://www.askmen.com/fashion/mens-w...atch-snob.html
    Last edited by wuyeah; December 7th, 2011 at 21:27.
    CitizenM likes this.

v76

Collection:
    A few of this and some of the other ...

"I worked my way up from nothing to a state of extreme poverty" - Groucho Marx

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread Information