WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

The good beater quest

3K views 44 replies 29 participants last post by  Covenant 
#1 ·
I recently sold my Seiko Blumo. A great all rounder, good movement, nice finish, good price, awesome lume perfect as a week end watch really. However, a few things bugged me, low quality bracelet mainly the clasp and not so fancy adjustment, alu bezel insert and the crow at 4.

So it is gone and I am hunting for the next best thing.

MAX PRICE 1000 bucks
NEW NOT USED
rather have a ceramic bezel
Good power reserve that will last more than 36 hours
44 and under mm preferably closer to 42
200 to 300 water resistant
Good bracelet
Prefer sapphire
Hacking
W a date

So far I have this

Or

Advice welcomed

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
I have a 40mm Aquis. I bought a Shogun to see if it could replace it. Still have the Aquis and sent the Shogun packing.

Cons for the Shogun:
- bracelet and clasp is total crap
- no sapphire crystal
- aluminum bezel
- date wheel doesn't match the dial (pet peeve)
- not nearly as comfortable as the Aquis, especially on a bracelet.

It's not a bad watch, but it's not in the same league as the Aquis (imo).

Pros for the Shogun:
- diashield titanium is pretty nice
- easier strap changes and a non-integrated bracelet

I'm still actively looking for the sub-$1k watch that will dethrone the Oris. Haven't found it yet. The Shogun could do it with a few tweaks from Seiko, but I wouldn't expect them to make any improvements.

#4 · (Edited)
Seiko SARB035, or it's dark twin the SARB033. A great, versatile, sporty watch that can also pull off dress watch duty. Solid construction. An Oyster Perpetual or Datejust like vibe - without that hideous cyclops. Good, usable bracelet, but it also looks great on a leather strap. A more sensible size (sorry, 42 mm is too big for any wrist). Well under your budget (US $325).

What's not to like?

View attachment 7560210

View attachment 7560234

Images from Seiya Japan, not mine.

#7 ·
been looking at CW again I do like what they have to offer. Had a jumping hour one, but I cannot get myself to pay full price when so often they discount. If I go that route I will need to wait for the next 30% 50% deal.

I like Oris, but how about a HAMILTON Khaki King Scuba Black Dial Automatic 41mm, Jomashop $440.
that date at the top is too much for me

Seiko SARB035, or it's dark twin the SARB033. A great, versatile, sporty watch that can also pull off dress watch duty. Solid construction. An Oyster Perpetual or Datejust like vibe - without that hideous cyclops. Good, usable bracelet, but it also looks great on a leather strap. A more sensible size (sorry, 42 mm is too big for any wrist). Well under your budget (US $325).
I should have mentioned I am looking for something more tool like, something you can wear hammering away, snorkeling, fishing and so on. Sarb035 and 033 are too dressy. thanks though for the input

How about this? No ceramic though and has a day too, but maybe you can live with it.
I like Mido they are coming up with a new model with alu inlay as well (wish they would move up a bit would really make this piece a winner at that price)

View attachment 7561642

Cons for the Shogun:
- bracelet and clasp is total crap
- no sapphire crystal
- aluminum bezel
- date wheel doesn't match the dial (pet peeve)
- not nearly as comfortable as the Aquis, especially on a bracelet.

It's not a bad watch, but it's not in the same league as the Aquis (imo).
have not handled the bracelet from the Shogun but if same category than the Sumo albeit in Ti then prob not ideal I agree.

seems like out of all the options the Oris or the CW would be possible winners. anyone else??

#13 ·
#20 ·
The Oris Aquis is a great watch and the stainless steel bracelet is SPECTACULAR. Having said that I happen to like Nato straps and happen to like to wear dive watches on MY choice of bracelets which I CANNOT do with Oris thanks to their proprietary lug design. I dont regret getting the Oris, its an amazing watch but this strap business is a MAJOR downside that you probably want to consider before purchasing. Fyi.

#24 ·
Oh well, it is not my habit to post only a picture. The Oris on Nato was a comment on the proprietary lug design of the Aquis,
just to show you that there _are_ options. Still far less choice than other watches.

If the task ahead of the watch you look for is "be a beater watch and survive" all options mentioned are ok.
If the task is "be a beater watch and keep looking good" however: the oris has polished bracelet that scratch up
easily. You may not like that.

The Shogun is comfortable to wear (light) and the Ti is hardened so it will look better in the long run.

Other options: Archimede Outdoor Protect (not a diver but toolish allright, and hardened steel. 200M WR! Lower profile also.
€775 on bracelet
View attachment 7598610

If you don't scratch your watches so much or you just don't care (You can allways wear a G Shock doing real rough stuff) :

Certina DS Action Diver

View attachment 7598618

Also in blue, or Ti.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.