The good beater quest
Like Tree18Likes

Thread: The good beater quest

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 45
  1. #1
    Member jmanlay's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    US of A
    Posts
    10,184

    The good beater quest

    I recently sold my Seiko Blumo. A great all rounder, good movement, nice finish, good price, awesome lume perfect as a week end watch really. However, a few things bugged me, low quality bracelet mainly the clasp and not so fancy adjustment, alu bezel insert and the crow at 4.

    So it is gone and I am hunting for the next best thing.

    MAX PRICE 1000 bucks
    NEW NOT USED
    rather have a ceramic bezel
    Good power reserve that will last more than 36 hours
    44 and under mm preferably closer to 42
    200 to 300 water resistant
    Good bracelet
    Prefer sapphire
    Hacking
    W a date

    So far I have this



    Or



    Advice welcomed





    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  2. #2
    Member SaoDavi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Texas (D/FW)
    Posts
    2,780

    Re: The good beater quest

    I have a 40mm Aquis. I bought a Shogun to see if it could replace it. Still have the Aquis and sent the Shogun packing.

    Cons for the Shogun:
    - bracelet and clasp is total crap
    - no sapphire crystal
    - aluminum bezel
    - date wheel doesn't match the dial (pet peeve)
    - not nearly as comfortable as the Aquis, especially on a bracelet.

    It's not a bad watch, but it's not in the same league as the Aquis (imo).

    Pros for the Shogun:
    - diashield titanium is pretty nice
    - easier strap changes and a non-integrated bracelet

    I'm still actively looking for the sub-$1k watch that will dethrone the Oris. Haven't found it yet. The Shogun could do it with a few tweaks from Seiko, but I wouldn't expect them to make any improvements.
    Last edited by SaoDavi; March 25th, 2016 at 12:03.
    Maxy likes this.

  3. #3
    Member janiboi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Espoo, Finland
    Posts
    1,275

    Re: The good beater quest

    How about this? No ceramic though and has a day too, but maybe you can live with it.
    Attached Images Attached Images

    Davidgt likes this.
    Grand Seiko SBGA229
    Omega Speedmaster 3570.50
    Omega Planet Ocean 8500
    Limes Endurance 1000 GMT3

  4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements
     

  5. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    408

    Re: The good beater quest

    Seiko SARB035, or it's dark twin the SARB033. A great, versatile, sporty watch that can also pull off dress watch duty. Solid construction. An Oyster Perpetual or Datejust like vibe - without that hideous cyclops. Good, usable bracelet, but it also looks great on a leather strap. A more sensible size (sorry, 42 mm is too big for any wrist). Well under your budget (US $325).

    What's not to like?


    Attachment 7560210


    Attachment 7560234


    Images from Seiya Japan, not mine.
    Last edited by dduck; March 25th, 2016 at 13:33.

  6. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Southern California
    Posts
    129

    Re: The good beater quest

    I like Oris, but how about a HAMILTON Khaki King Scuba Black Dial Automatic 41mm, Jomashop $440.
    Davidgt and wwarren like this.

  7. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Aurora, CO
    Posts
    1,436

    Re: The good beater quest

    Christopher Ward Trident Pro - sapphire crystal, can be both with strap or bracelet, ceramic bezel, 300m WR, 42-43mm, under $1K.
    WesternNYer likes this.

  8. #7
    Member jmanlay's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    US of A
    Posts
    10,184

    Re: The good beater quest

    Quote Originally Posted by John Price View Post
    Christopher Ward Trident Pro - sapphire crystal, can be both with strap or bracelet, ceramic bezel, 300m WR, 42-43mm, under $1K.
    been looking at CW again I do like what they have to offer. Had a jumping hour one, but I cannot get myself to pay full price when so often they discount. If I go that route I will need to wait for the next 30% 50% deal.

    Quote Originally Posted by choppit View Post
    I like Oris, but how about a HAMILTON Khaki King Scuba Black Dial Automatic 41mm, Jomashop $440.
    that date at the top is too much for me

    Quote Originally Posted by dduck View Post
    Seiko SARB035, or it's dark twin the SARB033. A great, versatile, sporty watch that can also pull off dress watch duty. Solid construction. An Oyster Perpetual or Datejust like vibe - without that hideous cyclops. Good, usable bracelet, but it also looks great on a leather strap. A more sensible size (sorry, 42 mm is too big for any wrist). Well under your budget (US $325).
    I should have mentioned I am looking for something more tool like, something you can wear hammering away, snorkeling, fishing and so on. Sarb035 and 033 are too dressy. thanks though for the input


    Quote Originally Posted by janiboi View Post
    How about this? No ceramic though and has a day too, but maybe you can live with it.
    I like Mido they are coming up with a new model with alu inlay as well (wish they would move up a bit would really make this piece a winner at that price)

    Attachment 7561642

    Quote Originally Posted by SaoDavi View Post

    Cons for the Shogun:
    - bracelet and clasp is total crap
    - no sapphire crystal
    - aluminum bezel
    - date wheel doesn't match the dial (pet peeve)
    - not nearly as comfortable as the Aquis, especially on a bracelet.

    It's not a bad watch, but it's not in the same league as the Aquis (imo).
    have not handled the bracelet from the Shogun but if same category than the Sumo albeit in Ti then prob not ideal I agree.

    seems like out of all the options the Oris or the CW would be possible winners. anyone else??

  9. #8
    Member ffritz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    The Free and Hanseatic City of Hamburg
    Posts
    6,311

    Re: The good beater quest

    Limes Endurance 1tausend, great built quality, 1000m WR, rock solid, super comfortable on the wrist, wears like a 10mm slim watch. Bezel insert isn't ceramic, though.

    Name:  Limes_r01.jpg
Views: 725
Size:  135.2 KB

    Name:  Limes_w03.jpg
Views: 720
Size:  157.5 KB

    This one is an aftermarket bracelet, the original is much better quality.

  10. #9
    Member Valdore's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    NAPST US
    Posts
    379

    Re: The good beater quest

    Quote Originally Posted by SaoDavi View Post
    I have a 40mm Aquis. I bought a Shogun to see if it could replace it. Still have the Aquis and sent the Shogun packing.

    Cons for the Shogun:
    - bracelet and clasp is total crap
    - no sapphire crystal
    - aluminum bezel
    - date wheel doesn't match the dial (pet peeve)
    - not nearly as comfortable as the Aquis, especially on a bracelet.

    It's not a bad watch, but it's not in the same league as the Aquis (imo).

    Pros for the Shogun:
    - diashield titanium is pretty nice
    - easier strap changes and a non-integrated bracelet

    I'm still actively looking for the sub-$1k watch that will dethrone the Oris. Haven't found it yet. The Shogun could do it with a few tweaks from Seiko, but I wouldn't expect them to make any improvements.
    I think Oris watches are meant to be beaters as they are not cheap but a quality time piece but not too nice to be use for special occasions or should I say, safe occasions.

    That's what's my Oris is for...


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    SaoDavi likes this.

  11. #10
    Member sticky's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    South Yorkshire
    Posts
    54,878

    Re: The good beater quest

    If you're looking at the Aquis I can't help but say "go for one"

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

    Similar Threads

    1. Beater Love. Beater Hate. Pic pls. + What is your fav beater?
      By Maithree in forum Affordable watches
      Replies: 33
      Last Post: March 12th, 2013, 18:25
    2. Beater quest - find me a watch I won't like
      By whatmeworry in forum Affordable watches
      Replies: 22
      Last Post: May 12th, 2011, 11:51
    3. Everyday beater quest - not more than 40mm or $100
      By whatmeworry in forum Affordable watches
      Replies: 10
      Last Post: March 2nd, 2011, 14:50
    4. Beater quest
      By MWILL07 in forum Affordable watches
      Replies: 20
      Last Post: September 28th, 2010, 20:30
    5. My quest for a Camping beater...
      By SquishyPanda in forum Affordable watches
      Replies: 26
      Last Post: March 22nd, 2009, 02:02

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •