Good evening new friends...

Thread: Good evening new friends...

Good evening new friends...

I just registered to this site and am very excited to join in on this great passion of ours. My watch fever began earlier this year when a friend told me about a website that sold an item per day. When I visited it that day, there was a Zodiac AllStar for sale and I bought it. Upon researching it, I realized I wanted more and had a lot to learn. As the temperature increased, it led me to a blog on watches, more Google searches, and finally to your forums. I've worked a lot in the field in my life and always got by with a Timex, figuring why buy a nicer watch and have it subjected to mud and concrete. But when I started reading the blogs and your forums, I decided to jump in and just purchased an Orange Monster a couple of days ago. It immediately felt good in my hands and on my wrist - a watch for me to enjoy and use. It satisfies both the technical and artistic sides of my brain and that's the standard I'll always have when it comes to purchasing a watch from now on.

My budget is limited but in a way, I like it that way. The search for a particular watch will take time and become it's own journey - the satisfaction in ownership will be that much greater! Since I am brand new to the art of watch collecting, I set about in obtaining a diver for play, a chrono for work, and a dress watch - my Triple Crown. How many times I get to repeat the cycle, nobody knows. But for my first go-around, I now have a dependable diver and will look to getting a Magrette Moana Pacific because of its homage to Panerai. I love the minimalism but with distinction. For the chrono, I'm thinking of a Citizen BL5250-02L or a LumTec M9 or M13. As you can see, I'm trying to limit myself to a purchase of less than $350. I was wondering if you out there would give me your recommendations of a Triple Crown of watches less than #350 each, and then your own best Triple Crown.

Lastly, while I am a middle-aged man, I am excited to start from scratch with my newfound obsession. There is a lot of experience, passion, and opinions on these threads and I hope to gradually learn your distinctive voices and collections. At the risk of possible embarassment, I do want to give a shout out to kiwidj. I've read many of his replies and I must say I admire his prodigious output of posts and his sense of style and craftsmanship. I would love to have the same when I grow up!
    Last edited by westcoasttiger; March 6th, 2010 at 09:37.
    "A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives." - Jackie Robinson

Re: Good evening new friends...

Welcome! For $350 and under... maybe a Hamilton? I have a Hammy Navy Khaki with a 7750 movement that is fantastic.
    Last edited by 2thfixr; March 6th, 2010 at 10:06.
    Robert

Last edited by 2thfixr; March 6th, 2010 at 10:05. Reason: double post
    Robert

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Welcome!!! Nice to have you aboard.
    PM is not working for me. If you need to contact me, please email. Thanks! popokinui1(at)gmail(dot)com

V8

Welcome aboard. There are lots of excellent watches to be had in your price range, especially if you are buying used.

Understeer is when you hit the wall with your front end. Oversteer is when you hit the wall with your rear end. Horsepower is how hard you hit the wall. Torque is how far you move the wall.

Welcome! I would recommend a Hamilton Khaki Field for play. They also make some nice dress watches. The value for what you get w Hamilton is great! Check out Tissot as well. While I have never owned a Seiko, I hear good things. These are pieces to consider in your price range.

My current triple crown is: Omega PO, Omega AT and Steinhart GMT. If all goes to plan I am hoping to land a Zenith in the next couple months here.

You will find that there are tons of watches out there. Find the ones that make you the happiest and bring the most overall personal value, and stay away from the ones that don't. Easier said than done - this is a learning process. All the best
    Last edited by Aquaracer1; March 6th, 2010 at 16:52.

Super excited to have you here! Welcome to WUS. Looking forward to your participation in our conversations.
    Caraptor

The man who buys a particular watch to feel smarter or better than other people and the man who avoids a particular watch to feel smarter or better than other people are brothers.

Great to have you here......enjoy and post a lot!! BTW when you mention watch models you are looking at, it's nice to post photos since it's impossible to know them all by numbers...., you'll get more responses if people don't have to look them up.

M9

M13
    Later, Gary

We are the caretakers of mechanical art.
    Member NAWCC, National Association of Watch & Clock Collectors

v76

Welcome to the forum and wish you a long and happy relationship with your watches (and hobby!)

I second the choices of Accutron, Hamilton, Tissot and Victorinox (Swiss Army) for affordable mechanical chronos. You'll definitely get them used/barely worn condition for less than $350, perhaps even less (and new, if lucky). You could also look at the new auto chronos from Swatch, but they might be a bit too sporty/plastic for your taste if you're looking for a dress watch. Please do search around and listen to a lot of suggestions before you decide. Best bet would be to see the watch "in the flesh" and try it out on your wrist before you take the plunge.

Happy hunting!
    Collection:
    A few of this and some of the other ...

"I worked my way up from nothing to a state of extreme poverty" - Groucho Marx

Thread Information