Good Experience at Macy's

Thread: Good Experience at Macy's

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Good Experience at Macy's

Stopped by my local Macy's today to look at an orange Seiko diver I have had my eye on for a month or two. The young guy right away commented on my Sub LV and inquired about it. Asked lot's of questions about what I liked. He had on a Breitling and owned two others as well as an old Patek he said. He worked for Reed's but Macy's recruited him away. He knew way more about watches than most AD's I have been to. Must say that it was a nice experience to talk watches with someone who was nice and well informed.

Re: Good Experience at Macy's

Yeah, that is surprising from a department store! Most of the department store salesfolks I meet couldn't tell you any more about the watch than what fits on the hang tag! ETA vs Sellita? fugedaboutit!

It's always 5 o'clock somehwere...

Well thats great! Must have been a shock to see a guy who knew more than some people in ADS!

My Collection --> Click Here

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Strange indeed.

This is a smart ploy by MACYs. A few of the "up scale" MACYs have huge watch departments with some big names like TAG, RADO, Hamilton. I am sure having someone knowledgeable behind the counter is a big deal, and I am sure he makes decent money.

I wish they had better prices though, I mean if MACYs could compete with people like princeton watches on Hamilton pricing...I would LOVE it.
    Not as clumsy or as random as a cell phone. An elegant timepiece for a more civilized time.

That is one of those very rare cases.

As for their pricing, they sometimes have 20% off on Tag Heuers at times with a 2-year no interest plan. I don't think that is bad at all for someone starting out a collection.

Quote Originally Posted by subrosa View Post
    This is a smart ploy by MACYs. A few of the "up scale" MACYs have huge watch departments with some big names like TAG, RADO, Hamilton. I am sure having someone knowledgeable behind the counter is a big deal, and I am sure he makes decent money.

I wish they had better prices though, I mean if MACYs could compete with people like princeton watches on Hamilton pricing...I would LOVE it.

Yup, he said they paid him more than he was making at Reeds and relocated him.

Last time I was at Macy's, I noticed a bunch of thier Kinetics were dead, I ask if the Seiko rep ever charged them up. She gave me a funny look and then I told her how Kinetics work. Anyway by the time I left she had a Kinetic in each hand 'swooshing' it, and was amazed when they started ticking...... She asked if I wanted to be there Seiko rep, that they didn't have anybody, I told her I could bring my Kinetic charger by..... Kind of funny actually.
    Later, Gary

We are the caretakers of mechanical art.
    Member NAWCC, National Association of Watch & Clock Collectors

Quote Originally Posted by sixtysix View Post
    Last time I was at Macy's, I noticed a bunch of thier Kinetics were dead, I ask if the Seiko rep ever charged them up. She gave me a funny look and then I told her how Kinetics work. Anyway by the time I left she had a Kinetic in each hand 'swooshing' it, and was amazed when they started ticking...... She asked if I wanted to be there Seiko rep, that they didn't have anybody, I told her I could bring my Kinetic charger by..... Kind of funny actually.

66, you bring up an interesting point. I have an older Kinetic Seiko but the Kinetic portion does not seem to work. When it was newer you could shake it and it would adjust to the proper time. Now, I have to manually set it if I have not worn it for a few days. Is there an easy fix?

Quote Originally Posted by AIKO View Post
    Stopped by my local Macy's today to look at an orange Seiko diver I have had my eye on for a month or two. The young guy right away commented on my Sub LV and inquired about it. Asked lot's of questions about what I liked. He had on a Breitling and owned two others as well as an old Patek he said. He worked for Reed's but Macy's recruited him away. He knew way more about watches than most AD's I have been to. Must say that it was a nice experience to talk watches with someone who was nice and well informed.
    I'd be blown-outta-the-water to see a Shopping Mall store clerk wearing a Breitling. Macy's must pay more than they use to when I worked there.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information