Is it good to get a quality watch when young, or best savoured after putting in the years

Thread: Is it good to get a quality watch when young, or best savoured after putting in the years

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Is it good to get a quality watch when young, or best savoured after putting in the years

Well on one hand the answer is probably 'of course it is!'

But my question is whether, in the long run, satisfaction comes from waiting for such a thing.

I got a tag heuer 2000 as a wedding gift at the age of thirty, and with forty (and tenth wedding anniversary) round the corner, have just splashed out the £2000 budget I allowed myself to mark this occasion, for which (with some bargaining) I managed to get a speedmaster date and oris tt1 diver for around about £2100 with some bargaining; thus meeting my aspirations toward both a diver and a chrono.

Anyway, one thing I have in mind is these being things I pass on to the lad one day. Hopefully he'll be no spring chicken when that time comes. But equally hopefully, I hope to be in a position to to buy him an Omega or even a Rolex or Breitling when (if) he graduates.

But this line of thought got me to wondering - while I'd have loved to have received such a gift at a young age, the other side of the coin is that for me, it's really special to be able to own such a watch as an omega to mark such a milestone as the big 4-0.

And that got me to thinking, if I'd had it young - what would there be to aim for in terms of marking life's big moments? My remaining target is something like a Vacheron Constantine. With a bit of luck an entry level model might be attainable for me, around about the time I retire. So, again, that's a nice way (in my eyes at least) of marking out life's big changes with real step changes in something to mark it like a watch.

Anyway, this is a bit of a ramble, but I am interested in others views. Do you see the acquisition of a quality watch as being something that is best savoured after years of 'earning it' through getting the family finances secured first and so on, or would you prefer to get em as soon and as fast as possible!

Finally; the last thing I want is for this to be interpreted as moralising on the subject. Hopefully noone would have but just to dispel the possibility, this is not a value judgement, it's about how you see it.

Re: Is it good to get a quality watch when young, or best savoured after putting in the ye

Yep, I bought my Lucien Piccard when I was 20.

Vancouver Island / California (depending on the citizenship I use)

Re: Is it good to get a quality watch when young, or best savoured after putting in the ye

To my mind, more than early or late in life, lies the concept of 'earning' something. I always find that things are better when they celebrate something you've achieved. It might be a big birthday, or a retirement. It might also be the achievement of a particular educational goal, or entering into a particularly amazing career.
    Daily Rotation:
    Seiko
    "Save the Ocean" Turtle; Tudor Black Bay; DOXA 1000T Project Aware (75/92); Seiko SKX013; Garmin Descent; Tissot PRS200

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

My grandfather got his Hamilton 992B at the age of 75. That was when he could finally afford it. You might say he savored it.
    The 5th generation is now in line to get that Hamilton.

There are fathers who do not love their children; there is no grandfather who does not adore his grandson. ~ Victor Hugo

Quote Originally Posted by Ray MacDonald View Post
    My grandfather got his Hamilton 992B at the age of 75. That was when he could finally afford it. You might say he savored it.
    The 5th generation is now in line to get that Hamilton.
    without wanting to glamourise having less money, that's a really great story Ray.

Buy something amazing now. When you're old, it'll be an amazing vintage.

I bought this Seamaster new when I was 26. Now we're both antiques.

-Dave

Here's my grandfather (and me) ca 1955. He's got the Hamilton on his watch chain.

And here's the 5th generation guy (he has a little waiting time....)

There are fathers who do not love their children; there is no grandfather who does not adore his grandson. ~ Victor Hugo

Great seamaster NN.

If I can be bold enough to ask the question, without being to precise about age - how did prices for an Omega (for example) compare back then to now, in relative terms.

Was it the same 'size of purchase' relative to the price of other things back then, or has the luxury status of watches like this evolved since then. Sorry if this is a basic question, I'm a newbie at all this.

It's a 105.001-62. The movement (321) dates from 1958. I bought the watch from an Omega dealer in 1969 for $195 Canadian.
    Ah, those were the days.

-Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Ray MacDonald View Post
    Here's my grandfather (and me) ca 1955. He's got the Hamilton on his watch chain.

And here's the 5th generation guy (he has a little waiting time....)

awesome ray

welcome racing green. i am for buying it when you can afford it because tomorrow is never promised to anyone......unfortunately!
    Enjoying a life far better than I deserve...

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread Information