Good news or bad news to F.P Journe Collectors? [Chanel acquires a 20% stake in F.P.Journe]
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: Good news or bad news to F.P Journe Collectors? [Chanel acquires a 20% stake in F.P.Journe]

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Lightbulb Good news or bad news to F.P Journe Collectors? [Chanel acquires a 20% stake in F.P.Journe]

Been considering getting a F.P. Journe recently but not sure how this news will affect the brand, what do you guys think?

It will be bad for the brand. Think Frank Muller. The brand regressed. Same can be said for FP .
    ap1984 likes this.

Re: Good news or bad news to F.P Journe Collectors? [Chanel acquires a 20% stake in F.P.Journe]

I'm not sure that is the case (i.e. bad for the brand).

F.P.Journe is not and has not been in trouble. In fact it has always been in profit and has enjoyed a steady growth since it's inception in 1999. François-Paul Journe has turned down more than a few offers to buy out his company. But he has turned them all down, because he did not want to become someone else's employee. Being privately owned he is in full control. So it is more than likely that the deal struck with Chanel to buy a minority stake of 20% is for mutual benefit, over and above the injection of funds that FPJ will get. I can't see how it could possibly be bad for either brand given the circumstances, unless by some misfortune something goes wrong with the relationship.

[UPDATE] I just found the following link to a nice little editorial piece: http://thejourneguy.com/f-p-journe-s...-independence/

In short, it's all fine. Buy, keep and wear your FPJ in confidence and good health.
    Last edited by meson1; September 17th, 2018 at 11:06.
    ap1984 and rfortson like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Re: Good news or bad news to F.P Journe Collectors? [Chanel acquires a 20% stake in F.P.Journe]

^^^^^
    What he said.

I would imagine that Chanel would get a seat on the board and probably as part of their due diligence they have determined that the company is well run.

It might be worthwhile to consider. as was mentioned in the article, what would happen if FP were no longer around.

I think the mention of "peace of mind" for FP should also be considered as peace of mind for current watch owners as well.

No one lives forever and I believe it is beneficial to have that sort of strength behind the brand.

Have a look around and no other brand has an FP behind them (now).
    Old enough to appreciate the saying
    "Experience is what you get when you don't get what you want!"

I agree, successful companies can start to struggle after the founding fathers demise. The share balance also seems right - making it worthwhile for both parties

Well, on the upside, the watches might now come with a nice fragrance gift bundle. Or maybe the straps will be pre-soaked in Bleu De Chanel.
    mattiey likes this.
    Nomos Club Datum 733
    San Martin Damascus Radiomir
    + always on wrist: Fitbit Inspire HR

Imagine RLL or Cartier buying a 20% stake in Rolex. Oh man! The kind of reputation Rolex will get.

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk
    What you gotta do, you gotta do!!!

Collection :
    Omega, Rolex, Blancpain, Zenith, Tudor, IWC

Quote Originally Posted by achilles View Post
    Imagine RLL or Cartier buying a 20% stake in Rolex. Oh man! The kind of reputation Rolex will get.

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk
    Sorry but I don't think that is a reasonable comparison.

What would be the value of FPJ if FP was a workaholic and smoked like a chimney and his only exercise was lifting his tweezers.
    Because of that he suffers a heart attack and is with us no more.
    Before you say it can't happen I might point you to Sergio Marchionne who was (before he died a few months ago of a heart attack while in the best hospital in Austria) leader of the FIAT Group which includes Ferrari and Alfa Romeo.
    They got hit by the sharemarket and, I'd say, he was far less significant than FP.
    Old enough to appreciate the saying
    "Experience is what you get when you don't get what you want!"

Expect to see an FPJ designed movement in a Chanel high-end piece in the future. Expect FPJ to continue with his/their design cues and audacious concepts (quartz, aluminum, resonance,...) The FP Journe brand will certainly live onto the next generation, as his son is working in the business, beyond that is anybody's guess.

Quote Originally Posted by ap1984 View Post
    Been considering getting a F.P. Journe recently but not sure how this news will affect the brand, what do you guys think?
    It's 20% not 100%. And even if it became 100% would that alter the enjoyment you would get from a Journe watch you had purchased?

Most of us own watches from companies that have undergone an ownership change. Most active Swiss brands are owned or controlled by someone other than the original owners. And many watch brands are one of several affiliates under a parent company that may have significant non-watch interests.

The investment you describe would not deter me from buying a watch that I was interested in. The investment should be seen as a positive in that it may give Journe additional access to capital.
    drhr and ap1984 like this.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information