Good-quality watch/chrono for a woman who doesn't like women's watches
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Good-quality watch/chrono for a woman who doesn't like women's watches

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Question Good-quality watch/chrono for a woman who doesn't like women's watches

Hello all,

I am a recent university graduate looking for a good quality watch to commemorate the event.

Problem is, I don't like women's watches. Most often, they are bad quality trinkets encrusted with tacky bling.
    I really like the chronograph look, but there are very few to choose from in the women's ranges. So I'm looking for a slightly smaller size men's watch. However, when I go to an actual shop, the sales clerks don't even let me look at men's watches.

So I turn to you, watch aficionados of the internet. Can you help me? I am looking for a design with clean lines. Chrono with black dial preferred, steel bracelet a must. For everyday use at work. Price range: beginner, under 500 euros.

Many thanks!

Re: Good-quality watch/chrono for a woman who doesn't like women's watches

Just tell them you are buying it for your Fiance as a wedding gift. I love the look of a rolex daytona on a woman....won't work with your price point but a watch that will last you a life time and something you can always get your money back if ever needed.

Moderator at Large stuffler,mike's Avatar

Have you flicked through ebay offers, a lot of "masculine" chronographs within your limit, from vintage mechanical to contemporary quartz. Tissot PRC 200 came to my mind.
    Kind regards
    Mike

Instagram @mikestuffler

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I'm having problems associating the captions with the appropriate picture, but I'm sure it will be obvious. Also, the borrowed photos are not to scale. The Citizen appears to be larger while in reality it is 4 mm smaller.

The 36 mm Archimede Pilot S may not be a chrono, but its size might be just right.

If you don't mind a quartz watch, there is a 32 mm Citizen ladies chrono with a black face.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Tag Heuer Formula 1 chronograph. 41mm, and I think that would look lovely on a woman's wrist.
    TAG Heuer Monaco LE|Omega Speedmaster|Seamaster 300MC|Rolex Submariner|Tudor Ranger

How did it get so late so soon?

I find it hard to believe sales clerks "don't let you look" at men's watches. They might be surprised by your preference, but they will let you look at anything you're willing to pay them for. That's their job. I've tried on men's watches at any number of stores. No one has ever balked at letting me, and frankly no one has even blinked when I asked even though I made it clear I was looking for myself.

Just tell them what you want and don't worry if they roll their eyes a little (though I still don't think they will as their primary goal is to sell you something--the more expensive the better). You really need to try a man's watch on to get a proper idea of the fit. If you have a smaller wrist, some of them may not fit right without some effort.

Jeannie
    Last edited by GinGinD; March 16th, 2011 at 05:35.
    Vivian886 likes this.

Thank you all for your advice -- I'm a terrible liar, so I have trouble going to a shop and saying it is for someone else. So the plan is to know exactly what I want and ask for specific models. Unfortunately just browsing for men's watches was almost impossible.

Siodad, those two definitely fit the bill.
    I went to see the Archimede website, and their watches are amazing -- I wish I could afford the Archimede Chronograph! Maybe later, especially when I'll be looking for a nice leather strap watch. The Citizen Lady Chrono I have seen -- it was the most bearable watch they showed me. It is on my list of options, but quartz is not preferred.

Mike, the Tissot PRC 200 is now on my list of choices -- many thanks! I am primarily looking for a new one, since it is a commemorative watch, and I'm a watch newbie, so can't risk a bad purchase.

Raza, I like the brushed steel look -- but TH F1 is slightly out of my price range.

Jeannie, it is the sad truth. I went to three shops. I guess I was a tiny bit bashful about it in the first one, but even when I said I don't actually like women's watches, they proceeded to show me -- women's watches!

I've had this problem before with other stuff. I guess it depends on location as well. I will go again, this time armed with knowledge.

So many beautiful watches out there!

At just a hair over 41mm, the Accutron Gemini with a V7750 movement is worth a look. They can often be found in the $700/500 Euro range. Models 26C02 and 26C10 have a black dial but it is hard to find one with a black dial and SS bracelet. The bracelet with curved ends that came with my Gemini was not a good fit on my small wrist so, I had a jeweler custom fit one with straight ends. It has massive links and nearly doubled the weight.
    Also, have a look at the Hamilton Jazzmaster.
    https://forums.watchuseek.com/f357/ja...04-501317.html

Unfortunately, my next suggestion is well above your 500 euro limit, but it gives you a grail to work towards: the ladies version of the Omega Speedmaster. 38 mm, which just a few years ago would have been considered a man's size.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by fennica View Post
    Hello all,

I am a recent university graduate looking for a good quality watch to commemorate the event.

Problem is, I don't like women's watches. Most often, they are bad quality trinkets encrusted with tacky bling.
    I really like the chronograph look, but there are very few to choose from in the women's ranges. So I'm looking for a slightly smaller size men's watch.
    However, when I go to an actual shop, the sales clerks don't even let me look at men's watches.

So I turn to you, watch aficionados of the internet. Can you help me? I am looking for a design with clean lines. Chrono with black dial preferred, steel bracelet a must. For everyday use at work. Price range: beginner, under 500 euros.

Many thanks!
    Hi. In the highlighted text you are described the things that you like. Not what she likes. Before you buy a chronograph you might think a little more about the kinds of things she likes and does not like and post a list. For example, does she not like all womens watches, or just small highly decorated watches that are hard to read.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information