"Good relationship with AD"
Like Tree24Likes

Thread: "Good relationship with AD"

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

"Good relationship with AD"

We say it's important to nurture a relationship with our AD, particularly if we're looking for discounts. But for those of us who can't afford to buy multiple 4-figure watches a year (i.e., me), does one simply make an effort to stop by and shoot the breeze every now and again? Do you just buy less expensive watches as you work your way up to a higher price range?

I've recently gotten to know a great local AD. But this was a total fluke and for me not an opportunity that presents itself every day.

Re: "Good relationship with AD"

Yeah I used to visit my AD to just look and shoot the breeze. I became friendly with a couple of the guys there, so when it was time to buy, they were usually pretty straight with me on discounts and such. They are a jeweler as well, so I bought wife gifts there also.

It takes time unless you're the person dropping a lot of cash on a regular basis.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by lecorbeau View Post
    We say it's important to nurture a relationship with our AD, particularly if we're looking for discounts. But for those of us who can't afford to buy multiple 4-figure watches a year (i.e., me), does one simply make an effort to stop by and shoot the breeze every now and again? Do you just buy less expensive watches as you work your way up to a higher price range?

I've recently gotten to know a great local AD. But this was a total fluke and for me not an opportunity that presents itself every day.
    You don't need to be good at negotiating. You can buy online :)
    Plenty of reputable sellers out there.
    Perseus likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Personally, I think the AD relationship is highly overrated...and highly depends on what neighbourhood you're in.

I reside in hk and in the last three years alone I've spent over $20K at one particular AD and I always chat with them very nicely. But when it came time when I wanted to be on the list for the 2018 GMT Master II on Jubilee? The answer I got was "it's not likely we can get it for you...not this year."

I guess $20k is a small sum compared to those who'd drop more than that in one previous metal model every year.

Sent from my F8132 using Tapatalk

It doesn't hurt too have a good relationship with your AD but it isn't necessarily going to help you get a highly coveted piece unless you give them a lot of business.

Depends on the AD. My spouse IS an AD for a major brand, and I dont think it takes much to be top of mind for that call something cool has arrived. I think you do need to be serious, decisive, and not a p.i.t.a. Learn peoples name, make sure they know yours, and make it clear you'd like to be contacted. A couple of prior sales that show increasing interest and buying power doesnt hurt of course.

No guarantees it will work at your local Rolex and Patek dealer though.
    Breguet Type XX, IWC Aquatimer Chronograph "Jacques Yves Cousteau", IWC Portuguese Automatic, JLC Deep Sea Cermet, JLC Tribute to Polaris 1965, Omega Speedmaster Professional, Panerai 233 "Dot", Panerai 439 Oro Rosso, Patek Philippe 5130G World Time, Rolex Datejust, Rolex Seadweller, Vacheron Constantin Overseas Chronograph 49150, Vacheron Constantin Patrimony Traditionnelle Chronograph.

IG: bvllitt

My sales lady was really excellent. I said “you gave me great service and treated me really well. Thank you. I’d like to let the owner know you did an excellent job for me. How can I contact him or her?” I proceeded to write a really nice email complementing her. Both remember me now, and I occasionally send over a wrist shot here and there lol. It’s gotten me VIP treatment.

I didn’t do this as a strategy, I really do try to recognize people who help me, especially when they go above and beyond. As a byproduct I’ve been offered several “hard to get” watches (Sea Dweller 43, BLNR, etc) without even asking.
    • Seiko SARX033
    • Oris Aquis
    • Rolex Daytona 116500
    • Rolex Submariner 116610LN

Haggle like a *****, show them you have watch knowledge and have a pocket full of cash > AD relationship

You might think you have a good "relationship" with your AD but he/she is just trying to make a sale. Don't take it personal.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyKarate View Post
    Haggle like a *****, show them you have watch knowledge and have a pocket full of cash > AD relationship

You might think you have a good "relationship" with your AD but he/she is just trying to make a sale. Don't take it personal.
    People talk about wanting good relationships with ADs so that they can obtain five-figure, relatively rare watches at list price; not so they can haggle a few hundred bucks off a common model.
    mui.richard and mak1277 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by mui.richard View Post
    ...depends on what neighbourhood you're in.

I reside in hk and in the last three years alone I've spent over $20K at one particular AD and I always chat with them very nicely. But when it came time when I wanted to be on the list for the 2018 GMT Master II on Jubilee? The answer I got was "it's not likely we can get it for you...not this year."

I guess $20k is a small sum compared to those who'd drop more than that in one previous metal model every year.
    Yup, spending $20k is not going to make a blip in HK...
    mui.richard likes this.
    Well, I was standing on a corner in Winslow, AZ and Clara Oswald slowed down to take a look at me and my GS Tiffany SnowflakeTM...

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread Information