Good time keeping

Thread: Good time keeping

Good time keeping

I have a marvin Watch that i purchased some weeks ago ,and i have been monitoring its time keeping over a period of 36 hours it looses about 1 min 15 secounds,how does this compare with other wind up watches (not automatic).I have started winding the watch up fully every morning,is this ok to do photo of watch, as you can see. I purchase the watch from Germany. It was in mint condition (dont think it has ever been on anybodys wrist).and the original box was with it.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Re: Good time keeping

Seems like a lot to lose in such a short time to me, but I don't have any nor do I desire to have any manual-wind mechanical watches, so I might not be the best source for comparative information.

My (5) manual watches range from +4s to +28s per day.
    Winding once per day at the same time (as you are doing) is widely recommended. Having the watch wound to a consistent level should result in consistent timekeeping, though not necessarily accurate timekeeping.
    Regulating the watch may be all that is needed to improve the accuracy. Your Marvin looks like an older model (and a very nice one) and the lubricants may be suffering from old age too: the more modern the lubricants the longer their lives.
    Dom
    If it looks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, we have at least to consider the possibility that we have a small aquatic bird of the family Anatidae on our hands.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Moderator: F72 and F71 AlbertaTime's Avatar

I really enjoy my mechanical watches and find most of mine run within 10-20 seconds a day, so I might be a little unhappy with a minute/15 over 36 hours.

I wind my mechanicals each once in the morning and once in the early evening, and never a tight wind...but that's just because:

A) I find the few moments holding them relaxing. Like feeding pets.

B) And so I can pick up any one of them and go any time I want.

Mostly A.
    Curator: Alberta Museum of Chinese Horology in Peace River (AMCH/PR) 中国手表博物馆,皮斯里弗,艾伯塔省; Member: China Horologe Association; Chief Expert: China Watch Overseas Working Committee (CWOWC), a formally instituted CHA Working Committee; Sino-Canadian Horological Cultural Affairs Advisor: Guangzhou Watches and Clocks Association

Hi Loddonite i think some attention to the lubricant is in order,to improve accuracy,have no idea if it had been serviced before i bought it ,so a overhaul i think is in order

My oldest mechanical watch is my most inaccurate. I am torn between the cost of having the watch serviced and the value of the watch (£zilch).
    Good luck with that dilemma - I have no answer.
    Dom
    If it looks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, we have at least to consider the possibility that we have a small aquatic bird of the family Anatidae on our hands.

Thread Information