Got robbed and my watches are gone, how best to start over?
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Got robbed and my watches are gone, how best to start over?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

My house was broken into and the thieves took my watch box, with 13 watches inside of it, right off the bedroom dresser.

The watch I was wearing the day of the break in was the cheapest one I owned, just a $90 brown Fossil that matches my flight suit.

My collection ranged from $150 to $500 a piece and it took me a few years to build it up. My insurance is only covering $2500 to pay for my wife's and my jewelry, my watches totaled over $3000

I had a few pilot watches, a few dive watches, a few nice dress watches as well as some general utility watches.

I feel really weird wearing the same watch every day, and I would like more as soon as possible, but I dread spending hours and hours in front of the computer shopping for an all new set.

When we do get paid, I am not sure how to even start over, do I look for similar watches or just go a completely new direction? I'm really confused on the direction to go.

Thanks guys.

Sorry to hear you got done over.

At least there's the insurance payout.

I'd try to look at this as an opportunity. For me half the fun is in the hunt. Try to see this as an opportunity to buy a load of watches without feeling guilty, or having to save, or sell stuff.

Re: Got robbed and my watches are gone, how best to start over?

I'm sorry to hear that. I would take the time to re-envision your collection, think about which watches you wear the most often, and consider consolidating into a smaller number of nicer pieces.
    cap10amazing likes this.

Patek Philippe Calatrava 5119J; Vacheron Constantin Overseas; Jaeger-LeCoultre Grande Reverso Duo; Rolex Submariner 114060; Omega Seamaster 300; Montblanc Heritage Dual Time; Tudor Black Bay.

Armida A12; Borealis Estoril; Bulova Accutron II Alpha, Moonwatch; Casio GMW-B5000D, GW-5000, GST-W310; Certina DS-2; Coach Fulton; Hamilton Khaki Field; Helson Skindiver; Orient 60th Anniversary; Seagull Tourbillon, 1963 Air Force; Seiko SNA089P, SUN025P1; Steinhart OVM; Swatch Body and Soul, Heracles, Sistem51, Uncle Charly; Victorinox Alliance, Infantry Vintage.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I can't imagine how hurt I would feel. Feel safe at home first, buy a safe, bolt it to the floor in a linen closet. Then buy the first watch that you can afford that makes you happy.
    Horoticus and Ottovonn like this.

Heuer Monza calibre 15
    Omega Speedmaster 3210.51
    Oris Big Crown BC3
    Tissot Seastar 1000 auto,
    Hamilton Khaki Twilight,
    Seiko UFO chrono circa 1970's
    1972 Bulova Oceanographer
    70's Mido Multifort
    1950's Movado
    Citizen Ecozilla
    Zodiac Hermetic
    Luminox 3200
    Casio Pathfinder PAG-40B-2VCF

That, I think, is pretty good advice.

I liked wearing a new watch all the time but the favorites inevitably ended up on my wrist more often. I think I could see myself having a smaller set.

My favorite watch was a Seiko Flightmaster my grandmother bought me when I graduated Flight Engineer school. I am however getting out of the military, and I think the need for aviation watches is diminished, even though I absolutely love the style of them.

I feel like it's going to take even longer to "re-imagine" my next collection than it did my first, I lack any clear direction this time.
    Last edited by snowmanZ; March 25th, 2013 at 08:04.

Quote Originally Posted by snowmanZ View Post
    That, I think, is pretty good advice.

I liked wearing a new watch all the time but the favorites inevitably ended up on my wrist more often. I think I could see myself having a smaller set.

My favorite watch was a Seiko Flightmaster my grandmother bought me when I graduated Flight Engineer school. I am however getting out of the military, and I think the need for aviation watches is diminished, even though I absolutely love the style of them.

I feel like it's going to take even longer to "re-imagine" my next collection than it did my first, I lack any clear direction this time.
    Very sorry for your loss, first of all. But as others have said, look at it as the opportunity to go through the excitement and fun of looking for the perfect watch all over again. You lack any clear direction because there isn't one. You can go wherever you like from here, this is a blank slate. At this point you won't go through the agony of seeing a watch you love but having the thoughts in the back of your head "But i already have one that looks like that", "but I already have one that does what this does". Any watch you see and love can be purchased with 100% certainty that you will love it.

But overall I hope you are able to get over your losses, you and your wife are still both healthy and unharmed and I hope you believe in karma as the thiefs will get what's coming to them.

Calgary, Canada via Marin County, California

Quote Originally Posted by mleok View Post
    I'm sorry to hear that. I would take the time to re-envision your collection, think about which watches you wear the most often, and consider consolidating into a smaller number of nicer pieces.
    I agree 100% with mleok.

You now have the rare opportunity to evaluate what you owned versus what you really loved to wear. Use those gems as your starting point and branch out from there. I probably have around 30 watches ranging between about $500 to $15,000 in value, but if they were all stolen there are probably only four or five that I couldn't live without and would absolutely want to replace. After that I would take my time and not be in a rush.

Sorry to hear about this. Personally, I would re-buy my favorites; and all the stuff that I didn't wear as often I would just forget about it. I feel like 12 watches is kind of my limit and all my favorites at this point would amount to 4 watches. That leaves me a lot of options for the rest of the collection. Right now I only have 8 watches though, so I still have a lot of options to grow my current collection and I still get confused about what to buy next sometimes.
    WPAC Member #35.
    "No Desire to Acquire!"

WnS

I really sorry to hear that, it's a nightmare for any watch lover.

How about getting 3 fine watches for a regular rotation?

1. Pilot
    2. Dress watch
    3. Diver

Take care of those, you may need another "gym watch" as a beater for rough activities (if you don't already have one). Depends on your tastes, though, if I was only allowed 3 watches, they'd all be divers.
    I'm content with my watch collection

Sorry to hear that. This is terrible, especially for watches with which we become emotionally attached.
    I would only replace a few of them and see this as a way to start a new collection. I agree with WnS, choose 3 watches to start.
    My modest collection:
    Omega: 231.10.42.21.06.001
    , 2503.30, 2531.80, 3590.50, 2234.50, 3290.50, 2221.80
    Tissot: Le Locle , Tissot PRS516 Automatic, Tissot PRS516 Chrono Quartz, Tissot T-Touch
    Archer Aero II, Bulova precisionist, Duke mechancial, Scurfa Diver One

"If you know what you're doing... It's not research..."

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information