Gotta love brotherly love, especially when it's JLC !
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Gotta love brotherly love, especially when it's JLC !

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Picture Gotta love brotherly love, especially when it's JLC !

Gotta love brotherly love, especially when it's JLC ! Dec 02, 2011 - 08:34 PM
    Dear fellow WIS,

As promised, here are some shots of my two JLCs (big bro and little bro. Big bro just came home from a well deserved overhaul, no more misaligned chrono hands!):

And finally a full frontal shot of my beloved watch box:

Love all my watches, but imho, the JLCs truly stand out and represent the best value for money in the higher end segment.

Current mission is to replace the rather mundane TAG, which will have to give up its spot as soon as I can afford a nice, upmarket GMT (the one remaining complication still missing from this collection). Had a nice Rolex Explorer II (white face), for which I was mugged, so this time it has to be something a little less conspicuous...On that note, I wouldn't mind another JLC (Master Compressor GMT springs to mind), or a nice GP, or .... decisions, decisions....Oh well, all in due time!

Thanks for looking and have a great weekend!

Cheers,

Pieter
    Current rotation:

A. Lange & Söhne Datograph (PT)
    A. Lange & Söhne 1815 Chronograph (WG)
    A. Lange & Söhne Lange 1 Soirée (WG)
    Audemars Piguet Royal Oak Chronograph (26320ST)
    Omega Speedmaster Professional Moon (1975)
    Panerai PAM 025 Submersible
    Patek Philippe 5146J Annual Calendar
    Rolex GMT Master II Pepsi 16700
    Rolex Sea Dweller 16600
    Vacheron Constantin Overseas Chronograph (49150)
    Vacheron Constantin Patrimony Contemporaine (WG)

Re: Gotta love brotherly love, especially when it's JLC !

Nice watches.

v76

Lovely duo, Pieter! I'm hoping to end up with two JLCs as well, after a major overhaul of my collection.
    CitizenM likes this.
    Collection:
    A few of this and some of the other ...

"I worked my way up from nothing to a state of extreme poverty" - Groucho Marx

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

You should think about getting a Grand Seiko GMT to replace the Heuer. It's very low key and would-be muggers will assume it's a $200 watch. You can get it with a spring drive or an old-school 9S mechanical if you want it, so it has some variety too.

Name:  ml_image.586146.jpg
Views: 660
Size:  58.0 KB
    Name:  s_sbge001a.jpg
Views: 648
Size:  212.8 KB
    Name:  grand_seiko_gmt_sbgm001.jpg
Views: 3744
Size:  126.8 KB
    Name:  Seiko-Ananta-Spring-Drive-GMT-1-.JPG
Views: 783
Size:  67.9 KB
    Name:  Seiko-Ananta-Spring-Drive-Chrono-white-11.jpg
Views: 767
Size:  141.4 KB

Wow, how much is the total value in just that watch box alone? $10, $15, maybe even $20k? :O

Awesome collection and wear them in good health!
    -Matt

Collection
    Current: 116710BLNR ("Batman"), ♛ 116610LV ("Hulk"), ♛ 116600 ("SD4K"), ♛ Milgauss White Dial (hers), ♛ Oyster Perpetual 31 3,6,9 Blue Dial (hers), G Shock 7900B-1 Rescue Series
    Incoming:
    Wish List: JLC Master Control Date
    , Ω Speedmaster DSOTM (311.92.44.51.01.007), VC Overseas Blue Dial

Banned

Misaligned chrono hands on a JLC? From the factory or did you drop it? Did you have to pay to get it fixed? That really shouldn't happen. I think we talked about this before but I think the left four watches in your box really set the standard. And it's a high bar. Compared to that high bar the right four watches in that box fail miserably.

If I understand your collection strategy correctly, and suppose you could get rid of the entire right hand four, I'd say you are missing a real diver, a real GMT watch, a high-end Japanese watch and a German watch. Finally, a real dress watch is missing in that box. For the real diver I'd go Rolex SD or Sub. Perhaps the green sub. People will think it's a fake. And it brings a touch of color into this otherwise very serious collection. For the GMT the Grand Seiko SBGE 001 Citizen kindly posted. The one below that (ref escapes me, sorry) is too similar to an E2. You don't want that to happen again. Then get something German for the dress watch. How about a Nomos or a GO. Perhaps a Nomos Zurich. Or this gorgeous GO:

Name:  100-08-01-01-04b_main.jpg
Views: 560
Size:  71.5 KB

The sale of the right hand four would yield probably at least USD 8000. So anyone of these suggestions would be in immediate reach except the green Sub and the gold GO. But just imagine the final collection.

Chrono auto: JLC Master
    Chrono manual: Speedy Pro
    Three hand classic: JLC Master
    Titanium sports watch: IWC Inge
    Diver: Rolex SD 16600
    GMT: Grand Seiko SBGE001
    Gold watch: Glashuette Panorama

KILLLER! :)

That, dear Pieter, is about the meanest (yet somewhat achievable) set of seven. Only top brands. Only in-house. Only excellent examples in each category. Covering Swiss and Japanese. Covering the main complications and the main materials. Covering any and all occasions a watch can be worn. With that set of seven you could close the watch box and start collecting stamps (hopefully not food stamps LOL).

Aww Alex,

Just when I thought I had it all figured out without having to break the bank, you hit me with this email and have me doubting again...now why did you have to do that ?

As regards your suggestion to get a 'real diver', have always admired the SD, the Sub not so much, though, as it's a bit too ubiquitous imho (and I do not dig the looks of the Frogman Sub, at all)....How about the new PO with the in-house calibre 8500, would that,in your opinion, qualify as a 'real' diver ?

Now the Portuguese Chrono Panda, I am really fond of that watch, and as it's quite a rare version, I'd rather hang on to it...read too many stories of ppl who regretted selling the 3714, as it's such a versatile piece....Also fail to understand why the Master Control Automatic would not work as a dress watch, is it a prerequisite for a dress watch to be made of(rose)gold? That being said, I DO love that GO, though, it's truly gorgeous, and I would gladly add a German piece to my stable.....
    Also would be willing to flip the Pilot Automatic, as I don't wear it too often, but prolly wouldn't swap it for a Navitimer, as you suggested in your previous post. Used to have a Navi 50th Anniversary, and fail to see how it could be considered superior to the IWC, save for its stronger aviation pedigree.

Now for the GMT suggestions, have never handled a Grand Seiko in the steel, so will reserve further judgement until having done so...My in-laws live in Korea, may visit them early next year, so that should give me plenty of opportunities (also assume they are cheaper over there than in Europe?)...

Finally, I would like to thank you all for reverting and the compliments on the collection, much appreciated!

Cheers,

Pieter
    Current rotation:

Rolex Sea Dweller 16600

Banned

Ha, ha! :) Sorry, Pieter. I just had to. ;)

Funny you mention the new PO. I just wrote about that in another post, saying that the Sub has priced itself finally too high. And I couldn't agree more that the Sub is too common. Which is why I have the SD. ;) What I said in that post is that I would now wait for the titanium version of the PO 8500. Superb watch. Totally worth its money. Seiko Marinemaster 600 in Ti is not bad, either, though. It would be between these two watches for best dive watch in the world right now (besides the new Sea Dweller which is just bizarre).

I expressed myself not well enough. Happens. I mean a dress watch grade 1. The JLC MC is the ultimate dress watch grade 2 for me. Wonderful piece. But it wouldn't hurt to have one really fine gold piece in the collection with only two hands, no date, flat, super elegant. I'm almost forty and don't have one yet. I think this is the kind of watch that can wait a little.

As for the new Navitimer it has the advantage of having the in-house B01 movement. Superb ticker. And it's Breitling's most iconic watch. So to fill the aviation spot in the collection I cannot imagine anything more fitting. Plus, I think such a universally well-balanced collection strategy as yours should have a Breitling as one of the big brands. Of course, you could upgrade that to a Breguet Type XX, too. They are going for not much more than the new Breitling models with in-house.

And I see that you don't have a Rolex in there. Did you say you didn't like the brand? In that case, don't bother. Then again, you wouldn't have bought the E2 in the first place. So why not look at it again. Perhaps you could make the gold watch a Rolex Cellini. Very fine watches and among the most affordable gold watches (under $10).

As for Seiko, CitizenM and I are severe fanboys, so take it with a grain of salt. But my bet is that once you have experienced a GS or Ananta you will want to own one. And, as I said, it would be a mighty fine addition to your collection that would make it even more well-rounded.

I like balanced and well-rounded things. Must be my European Renaissance Man influence. ;)

Hi exiLe,

Thanks for reverting. Not that it's all that important, but if we're talking RRP, sticker price on the JLC MC Chronograph alone is USD 10K, so the total value would be considerably more than the amounts stated in your email.

Cheers,

Pieter

Quote Originally Posted by exiLe View Post
    Wow, how much is the total value in just that watch box alone? $10, $15, maybe even $20k? :O

Awesome collection and wear them in good health!
    Current rotation:

Rolex Sea Dweller 16600

A sportier JLC would be an excellent addition to an already nice collection.
    "Using no way as way, having no limitation as limitation." - Bruce Lee

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information