Grail definition?? - Page 2
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Grail definition??

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Re: Grail definition??

Quote Originally Posted by Beyond 'The Box' View Post
    Grail, in terms of watches, to me isn't necessarily something unattainable, but rather something perfect, or so near it you wouldn't notice any imperfections. Something that suits your/my personal preference and specific tastes to a "T". I used to think like you, that it was something that I can't currently, nor in the foreseeable future, afford. That has changed though, as my desires have simplified. For me the important things are feel, aesthetic appeal, and accuracy (within reason of course). Feel is simply comfort, and I've come to learn that it can be achieved by merely finding the right strap for the watch. The looks of a watch... well, that's easy to please me, just make it a large dive watch, and there's an abundance of those sprouting up everywhere. Finally, the accuracy, which can be had with a simple tinkering by either myself of a jeweler... if I get frustrated and give up.

I don't desire names, that means nothing to me as I'd much rather have something lesser known to the average-Joe than some overpriced and over-marketed top-dog watch. Intimacy is so much better; being able to contact the owner of the company when I need new springbars or have QC issues... rather than some customer service representative that hates their job like the rest of us and just wants to get rid of me so they shine me on and I don't hear back from the, let alone get the watch back, for over two months. Grail has definitely changed for me, and I'm hoping that it stays where it is, because it's really easy to be happy with a purchase right now!

The grail changing is very true. I wish it was fixed but it seems to be a moving target for many of us.

Would you be willing to sell off everything else in your watch box, if necessary, to fund the purchase? Then it's your grail.
    In matters of principle, stand like a rock; in matters of taste, swim with the current. - Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by Beyond 'The Box' View Post
    Grail, in terms of watches, to me isn't necessarily something unattainable, but rather something perfect, or so near it you wouldn't notice any imperfections. Something that suits your/my personal preference and specific tastes to a "T". I used to think like you, that it was something that I can't currently, nor in the foreseeable future, afford. That has changed though, as my desires have simplified. For me the important things are feel, aesthetic appeal, and accuracy (within reason of course). Feel is simply comfort, and I've come to learn that it can be achieved by merely finding the right strap for the watch. The looks of a watch... well, that's easy to please me, just make it a large dive watch, and there's an abundance of those sprouting up everywhere. Finally, the accuracy, which can be had with a simple tinkering by either myself of a jeweler... if I get frustrated and give up.

I don't desire names, that means nothing to me as I'd much rather have something lesser known to the average-Joe than some overpriced and over-marketed top-dog watch. Intimacy is so much better; being able to contact the owner of the company when I need new springbars or have QC issues... rather than some customer service representative that hates their job like the rest of us and just wants to get rid of me so they shine me on and I don't hear back from the, let alone get the watch back, for over two months. Grail has definitely changed for me, and I'm hoping that it stays where it is, because it's really easy to be happy with a purchase right now!
    I think this (^^) is the lens through which I will understand "grail" from here on out---great post!

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

N 32 deg, 47' 27.9168"; W 79 deg, 54' 30.3372"

The Grail is the Chalice of the Last Supper, or it can be: the Eucharistic chalice, the dish of the Paschal Lamb, the basin in which Pilate washed his hands, and the cup in which Joseph of Arimathea received Christ's blood.

Like its Holy counter-part, watch grails are likewise defined by the searcher, worth more to certian individuals that others and often, when actually, discovered, found to be false.....
    familiaritas parit contemptum; raritate admiratione wins.- Lucius Apuleius
    est necessry, accurate ad secundo? - Lysander magna
    iustum est horologium - Obscurus Genius

Just a watch you find desirable, but for some reason or another you cannot attain yet. Does not necessarily have to be financial.

Quote Originally Posted by cavallino33 View Post
    I'd say any watch you like a lot, but cannot afford immediately and would take some time to save for. Also rarity plays a part in it too some ultra rare watch you can afford but can't find for sale could be a "grail".
    +1 to this. I would also think a grail is a watch that would make your search come to an end... But that might be stretching it a bit, based on how the term gets used generally...

Banned

For me, it is the ultimate, virtually unobtainable watch.

Personally, it is a watch that is basically out of reach unless now, but I could get with a some saving/selling other watches in the future.
    For me it is the Patek 5960P:
    Name:  5960P_015.jpg
Views: 350
Size:  56.4 KB

cheers.
    Breitling Super Avenger
    Breitling SuperOcean
    Bremont MBII
    Bremont ALT1-P
    Casio G-Shock Aviator GW-3000B
    Omega Seamaster 2541.80
    Seiko Black Monster
    Seiko SKX007
    Suunto Core "All Black"
    Suunto Core Alpine Edition
    Suunto Vector
    Tissot Sea-Touch.

"When the weight of the paper equals the weight of the airplane, only then you can go flying."

Last edited by Chronopolis; July 30th, 2011 at 00:13.

I've always believed that, in addition to a "grail" being a watch you have to save for (and in some cases, never own), that the term also signified a feeling of this is it; this is THE watch I've always wanted, and if I get it, the enjoyment of this will never be matched. I think in some cases, a grail doesn't necessarily have to be an expensive piece, but rather a rare, long out-of-print, or unique piece that somehow "speaks" to its owner like no other watch possibly could.

But what do I know.
    devilmoon likes this.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information