Grail definition??
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Grail definition??

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Grail definition??

I see the term Grail used a lot, and wonder what WIS' consider a grail. To me it is a watch that is out of my price range and I'd have to save for a long time to afford. Either that or win the Lotto. I see many watches that I'd love to own, but I don't have a need for a lot of watches, so I pass on buying them. But there are a few that I would love to have and pass on to my sons.

Don't make me go Blackbelt on ya!
    Terry
    -------------------
    Breitling Navitimer 01 LE, Breitling SuperOcean Steelfish, Bathys Aquaculture black PVD, Seiko Sumo, Seiko Orange Monster, RXW MM20,
    RXW MM25, Chase-Durer conquest, Movado series 800 Diver, Movado Museum, Citizen Ecodrive chrono, Bulova Precisionist

Born in South Korea - Canadian citizen - Living in Philly Suburb

Re: Grail definition??

For me "Grail" watch should be something that I can NOT attain in my lifetime/or unless I go insane.

Thus, my current "Grail" watch is: JLC Reverso Gyrotourbillon. ($350K)

My previous "Grail" was UN Freak, but after seeing it for $40K on TZ Showcase, I had to move my "Grail" higher because even though I know I won't spend $40K on a watch in reasonable time, I probably CAN (In reasonable time) and may actually get TEMPTED. (Can not happen if I want to keep my marriage - maybe I can convince my wife that it would be good thing for my 40th birthday. - which is quite a bit off, but it gives her time to prepare.. ha ha!)
    Chronic flipper...

I'd say any watch you like a lot, but cannot afford immediately and would take some time to save for. Also rarity plays a part in it too some ultra rare watch you can afford but can't find for sale could be a "grail".

i.e. for me right now it's a chronoswiss delphis
    MH434 likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

It's the one watch you've always wanted since the first time you saw it and haven't been able to get it for whatever reason, be it price, rarity, a father who refuses to die or any other...

to me a Grail watch is a watch that is out of your immediate price range. One that if you bought, would mean you would be sleeping on the couch for a considerably long time.

But also, the grail watch should be one that is attainable maybe as a retirement present.

My grail watch is the Vacheron Constantine Patrimony Bi-retrograde. It's about $30,000. Can I afford it now? absolutely... will I have to sleep on the couch, absolutely.

Everyone has their own definition I guess.

Affordable Grail: Dino Zei San Marco, Anonimo Professionale Chrono

Not So affordable Grail: Glashutte Original Panomatich Chrono in Platinum.

stuffler,mike

Never used that term and don't need it either

Quote Originally Posted by cavallino33 View Post
    I'd say any watch you like a lot, but cannot afford immediately and would take some time to save for. Also rarity plays a part in it too some ultra rare watch you can afford but can't find for sale could be a "grail"..
    Agreed.

Grail, in terms of watches, to me isn't necessarily something unattainable, but rather something perfect, or so near it you wouldn't notice any imperfections. Something that suits your/my personal preference and specific tastes to a "T". I used to think like you, that it was something that I can't currently, nor in the foreseeable future, afford. That has changed though, as my desires have simplified. For me the important things are feel, aesthetic appeal, and accuracy (within reason of course). Feel is simply comfort, and I've come to learn that it can be achieved by merely finding the right strap for the watch. The looks of a watch... well, that's easy to please me, just make it a large dive watch, and there's an abundance of those sprouting up everywhere. Finally, the accuracy, which can be had with a simple tinkering by either myself of a jeweler... if I get frustrated and give up.

I don't desire names, that means nothing to me as I'd much rather have something lesser known to the average-Joe than some overpriced and over-marketed top-dog watch. Intimacy is so much better; being able to contact the owner of the company when I need new springbars or have QC issues... rather than some customer service representative that hates their job like the rest of us and just wants to get rid of me so they shine me on and I don't hear back from the, let alone get the watch back, for over two months. Grail has definitely changed for me, and I'm hoping that it stays where it is, because it's really easy to be happy with a purchase right now!
    Last edited by Beyond 'The Box'; January 28th, 2009 at 20:34.

To me, a grail is a stretch. Something that takes some work and savings and maybe some sacrifice. A watch, that may be one that will stop you from needing to buy others. I thought the Rolex I just bought may be my grail but within a week I am already thinking of other Rolex and an IWC. Nicest watch I have owned but maybe not my grail.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information