A grand feu enamel watch from Glasgow...
Like Tree66Likes

Thread: A grand feu enamel watch from Glasgow...

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

A grand feu enamel watch from Glasgow...

Lately my watch collection has focused on enamel dial watches. To me, the incomparable depth and vibrancy of color makes this a compelling choice .. So Ive acquired a 2001 IWC Portofino, a 2015 Ball Trainmaster Power Reserve and a Seiko SPB069 ...all very attractive dials. My newest is from a micro brand based out of Glasgow, Scotland ..AnOrdain. I’m sure most here are familiar with the grand feu
    ( great fire) or Vitreous process. Firstly, there are only a handful of makers in the world practicing the craft. AnOrdain sources their powdered enamel from several places ; mostly from the Stoke-on-Trenton area, famous for its pottery glazes and dyes. (enamel is basically colored glass) . The powdered enamel is sieved in a powder form onto a wafer thin copper disc. Copper makes for a good base when creating an opaque dial as opposed for example a transparent enamel dial which might use a silver disc . Then it goes into the kiln which is heated to about 950 degrees C.... the powdered enamel melts and flows into a smooth surface which is then cooled and sanded by hand. AnOrdain utilizes an extra step “contre emaillage” which is applying a base enamel coat on the other side of the copper disc to help ensure the stability
    ( many a disc are destroyed by this intense heat) of the fledgling dial. This adding enamel powder , heating and sanding is repeated up to 8X..Another important distinction between most enamelers and AnOrdain - they sand completely by hand in between steps. No machine sanding. This helps create a stunning finish to the dial. No cold enameling or liquid “sip”. ( I love my Seiko SPB069- but Seiko uses a liquid enamel approach.) Enamel watches are expensive because it’s a painstaking process and many dials are discarded for sundry reasons: cracking and warping , impurities contaminating the dial, etc. AnOrdain is inspired by their Scottish Highland (Loch Ordain) rooya. ... the watches dial typography was influenced by old British Ordnance Survey maps of the area. The nickel finished compass shaped open-work hands were designed in house for AO and made by Estima .. The 316L stainless steel in from Germany and although not Sinn hard, at 800 Vickers is good enough for my desk diving. Double - domed sapphire , each side coated w 12 layers of anti-reflect ...6 on the underside and six on the surface. The exhibition sapphire caseback gets the same treatment. Sellita 200-1, elabore grade finish with Swiss paper snail rotor, Incabloc and a higher cannon pinion to accommodate the enamel dial. Perfect dress size 38mm . 45 L2L,
    A little over 12mm high.
    5 year warranty...I bought mine on a Staib mesh bracelet but they threw in a German grey suede. I think the Iron Creme dial pops better. The Milanese strap takes too much away from the stunning creamy dial IMO.
    This is a watch where the dial is the attraction. No, not the movement. I agree .. The reason I’m posting this is because I think it’s fantastic that a half dozen young artisans/watchmakers are creating something really exciting and helping to continue the fine art of watchmaking.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Name:  958C85E1-3D1F-48E5-860E-9C15F3FD6B76_1553818665503.jpeg
Views: 425
Size:  1.32 MBName:  F98D63B8-84B4-4191-9E41-989033EE0EC6_1553818602179.jpeg
Views: 401
Size:  1.95 MBName:  3EF89CDA-DEED-4245-B768-218C1ADCECED_1553818636946.jpeg
Views: 399
Size:  1.10 MBName:  05FA5AC4-0D59-477E-8570-86895777DFA0_1553818587478.png
Views: 388
Size:  3.34 MB

Re: A grand feu enamel watch from Glasgow...

I'm also a sucker for enamel. Congrats on your pickup, and it's great to see the personal touch from the watchmakers. One of the best parts of the internet is its role in fostering niche markets and helping them to thrive while remaining true to their vision.
    ffritz, pdsf, TJ Boogie and 1 others like this.
    HAVE WANT GRAIL
    -Citizen Skyhawk A-T -Panerai Radiomir 997 -Breguet 7147 (Enamel/Rose Gold)
    -Orient Sun & Moon v3 ​-Rado Original Automatic
    -Red Star One Hander -Reservoir Supercharged Classic
    -Casio G-Shock DW-6900-1V
    -Archimede Pilot Type B (Bronze)
    -Seagull M172S (Resurrected)

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Seen these. Tempted, as I love enamel too, but I have that itch scratched already...Ball, Seiko, and a KS (!) offering from Bleau. One of their options was a cream enamel.

One really nice thing with the AnOrdains is 6 different enamel colors. The cream's a nice, general-purpose but not boring-traditional, choice, the fire engine red is one I *would've* gotten save that I've got another pretty unique red dial from Celadon. I think the Hebrides blue is a new color, NOT at all common.

They're doing fairly well, too. Order pages are saying a 4 week wait time.
    Actium likes this.
    The truth is rarely pure and never simple.

Oscar Wilde, The Importance of Being Earnest

Beautiful watch. But if they regulated it for wearing on your right wrist, why are you wearing it on the left? The personalized note is a fantastic touch to an already special work of art. Congratulations!

Wow, pretty nifty, love it!!!
    A.Lange & Sohne * Audemars Piguet * Blancpain * Cartier * Dornblueth & Sohne * Invicta * Jaeger-LeCoultre * Meraud * Rolex * Revolution Watch Company * Tudor

"the deeper the roots, the higher the reach" - author unknown

Yesterday I was clever, so I wanted to change the world. Today I am wise, so I am changing myself. - Rumi

Lovely! Congratulations, and wear it in health.

Quote Originally Posted by Time Exposure View Post
    Beautiful watch. But if they regulated it for wearing on your right wrist, why are you wearing it on the left? The personalized note is a fantastic touch to an already special work of art. Congratulations!
    Lol.. Great catch ! I was going back n forth via email with Lewis Heath, AnOrdain’s design lead when one of the questions we discussed ( wrist size etc.. was “are you a lefty because we can regulate it differently..” implying that Id be wearing it on my right wrist”. I told him I was a southpaw - but I neglected to tell him I still wore my watches on same nonetheless.

Wow that's a very nice dial for the price! Amazing value-prop.

Quote Originally Posted by gangrel View Post
    Seen these. Tempted, as I love enamel too, but I have that itch scratched already...Ball, Seiko, and a KS (!) offering from Bleau. One of their options was a cream enamel.

One really nice thing with the AnOrdains is 6 different enamel colors. The cream's a nice, general-purpose but not boring-traditional, choice, the fire engine red is one I *would've* gotten save that I've got another pretty unique red dial from Celadon. I think the Hebrides blue is a new color, NOT at all common.

They're doing fairly well, too. Order pages are saying a 4 week wait time.
    It was just over 4 weeks. It’s the dial. Some weeks they only produce 1 to 2 dials or are short an enameler. In fact, Lewis Heath said they were on a “great run” as they were able to produce “twelve dials in the last three weeks”. I was really thinking of the Hebrides Blue; but I went w the Iron Creme one I have. It’s certainly different from the stark white of my IWC and Ball.

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Thread Information