Grand Prix drivers and their watches
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Grand Prix drivers and their watches

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Grand Prix drivers and their watches

Why do some of these drivers think it looks cool to wear watches that are quite obviously far too big for their wrists? You would think that the sponsors would choose something that complements them. Most of the Grand Prix drivers are only little short guys. After all, they wouldn't go out and buy a pair of size 11 shoes if they only take size 8 feet.

Check out my dope new watch - IWC Aquatimer Perpetual Calendar! #IWC #geneva #ill #timepiece... - Lewis Hamilton
    Rolex Submariner (green)
    Rolex Deepsea (45 mm)
    Rolex Daytona (black dial/steel)
    Rolex Perpetual Oyster (1950s-my late father's watch)
    Oris-Thelonious Monk Special Edition (also my father's)
    Omega Seamaster Planet Ocean (orange)
    Omega Seamaster Professional
    Tag Heuer Carrera
    Tag Heuer Monaco (blue)
    http://www.tetraplegicliving.com

Re: Grand Prix drivers and their watches

I don't think they get much say in the matter - They are just mannequins for the product.
    Hammondo likes this.
    Some people have opinions - The rest of us have taste .

I don't think that the driver has much to say in this respect. The choice of the watch is done by the sponsor who probably does not care whether it is suitable for the wearer or not, it's not the image of the wearer they are advertising but their product.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Maybe he actually likes it. A lot of people enjoy wearing huge, gaudy watches.

No doubt that thing of Hamilton's is far too big for his wrist....probably too big for anyone's wrist....but I very much doubt if he wears it while driving his GP car. He wouldn't have time to look at it, for one thing!
    Also agree that people who are given watches by the manufacturer to advertise the product probably have only a couple of choices from the advertiser but isn't that equally true for all of them? Athletes, actors, celebrities of all kinds...how many of them are interested in the products they advertise?

Getting the watch on the driver's wrist counts for a lot more than whether it actually suits him.

Quote Originally Posted by Penn Wooding View Post
    Why do some of these drivers think it looks cool to wear watches that are quite obviously far too big for their wrists?
    Because they're just like everyone else?

I think that "far too big" to a lot of folks here, is "fashionable and current" to many others.
    ​Grand Seiko SBGE033, Jaquest Droz Grande Seconde, Breitling Navitimer Cosmonaute, Prometheus Piranha, Orient Wingman, Zeppelin Flatline 7366-3, Glashutte Original PanoMaticLunar, Epos Emotion 3390, Steinhart Ocean 2 Premium, Hamilton Khaki Field, Omega 1965 Vintage, Seiko 5 SNKK27, Seiko 1977 Vintage, Nomos Orion 38, Wittnauer 1960's Vintage, Movado SL1 Chrono, Seiko SBQK085, Cyma Le Locle, Casio Oceanus OCW-S100-1AJF

No pilot wears the watch during the races, as far as I've seen. Take a look at the end of the race, before the press conference starts, when they drink water ans use the towels, some dude ( race officials or sponsor rep.) shows up with the pirelli cap and the watches for the pilots who have endorsements.

It is actually against the rules to wear jewelry during the race.
    Quote Originally Posted by Penn Wooding View Post
    Why do some of these drivers think it looks cool to wear watches that are quite obviously far too big for their wrists? You would think that the sponsors would choose something that complements them. Most of the Grand Prix drivers are only little short guys. After all, they wouldn't go out and buy a pair of size 11 shoes if they only take size 8 feet.

Check out my dope new watch - IWC Aquatimer Perpetual Calendar! #IWC #geneva #ill #timepiece... - Lewis Hamilton
    Quote Originally Posted by artec View Post
    No doubt that thing of Hamilton's is far too big for his wrist....probably too big for anyone's wrist....but I very much doubt if he wears it while driving his GP car. He wouldn't have time to look at it, for one thing!
    Also agree that people who are given watches by the manufacturer to advertise the product probably have only a couple of choices from the advertiser but isn't that equally true for all of them? Athletes, actors, celebrities of all kinds...how many of them are interested in the products they advertise?

They get PAID to wear them and the sponsors pick watches they want to showcase and the bigger ones also get noticed while they are in interviews, subtle watches would be a waste of their money. Just like they are getting paid to drive ugly cars this year.
    Last edited by ilitig8; August 24th, 2014 at 01:15.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information