Grand Seiko - a brand without identity?
Like Tree96Likes

Thread: Grand Seiko - a brand without identity?

Page 1 of 12 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast

Grand Seiko - a brand without identity?

When I say brands like Omega, Rolex the most of us will classify these brands as luxury brands, they produce their high quality watches in pretty large volumes. If I say brands like JLC, AP which are exlusive compared to Rolex and Omega. And they make very complex inhouse movements with tourbillons and minute repiters. The most of us will concider them as pure highend brands, and so do I.

But a brand like GS. Their watches are exlusive, some guy on the forum told me they only make 5000 Grand Seiko watches per year! I have a site about Shizuku-ishi Watch Studio

Shizuku-ishi Watch Studio - Morioka Seiko Instruments Inc.

Shizuku-ishi Watch Studio produce watchparts and have 19 high skilled watchmakers which assamble GS, Ananta, Credor watches and have a production of totally 30 000 watches per year. Grand Seiko dont have minute repitors or tourbillons like JLC but they have the Spring drive movement which taked 28 years of research to develop, their are only 6 watchmakers which can work with and assamble these movements. And now to my thought. Where should GS be placed? Luxury or Highend? Or somewhere between? This is not a fanboy thread. I just want some objektive answers and options beacause I cant classify them for my self.
    Last edited by 80talisten; December 4th, 2011 at 22:22.

Re: Grand Seiko - a brand without identity?

is not luxury for sure because they don't have any status in the non wis community...you can't compare them to Omega, Rolex, etc...because they are targeting the low-end market (the GS are just for the fun of it...lol)

v76

I'm sure that in Japan and other parts of east (and southeast) Asia they have a fair following but probably not in many other countries. I prefer it that way, many of the brands I like fly under the radar and hence are priced a little more competitively (for the quality, features, finish, etc.).
    Collection:
    A few of this and some of the other ...

"I worked my way up from nothing to a state of extreme poverty" - Groucho Marx

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I see where you're coming from, but this reasoning only applies to the Western mentality. Japanese don't have any problem buying a super high end model from the same company that produces a $100 model.

The thing is, GS, Ananta, Credor, Brightz and so on are unimportant. They represent the tiniest fraction of Seiko's income.

The important thing to learn from Seiko is that independent Swiss brands (which thereby don't have the potential for brand stratification within a larger corporate entity) should become more like Seiko and start producing entry-level goods.

Seikosha is a thing of pride. Literally. It meant something vaguely like "The House of Fine Craftsmanship." So the Seiko goes on all the GS, Ananta and so on dials. It is more subtle in Credor, however.

People tend to want to argue the Lexus effect. But the fact is, Lexus was the exception. The other quasi-luxury brands, historically, haven't performed very well. I don't mean that to be an attack on the product, but they simply haven't risen to rival the big-names in consumer's minds, whether those consumer beliefs are legitimate or not.

I mean to say that Acura and Infiniti (and indeed, other manufacturers worldwide have attempted to do the same throughout the 20th century) didn't "work" if by work you mean they are seen to have distance from the original product and are perceived to be legitimate competitors to Mercedes, BMW and so on.

So it could work. In a way it has worked, for Citizen that is, since everyone I've ever talked to outside of the forums is convinced Citizen is a Swiss brand. And they are really, really impressed by it.

So Seiko has some options. But they don't really need to change anything. They're already dominating the watch industry.

By the way, Seiko does produce a minute repeater under the Credor name.

Now, I would be in favor of Seiko showing off its skills on some so-called haute horology pieces.

Name:  main_img.jpg
Views: 2349
Size:  52.3 KB
    mgscheue and Chronopolis like this.

Name:  090-1120104623-train-wreck-1.jpg
Views: 2705
Size:  49.8 KB
    Cheers,
    Mike

Seiko...Seiko... Ah -- that's the company that sells watches in Walmart, right?
    CitizenM likes this.

Sodiac
    Too many watches, only two wrists and never enough time...

Vintage & NAWCC Forum moderator Ben_hutcherson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by CitizenM View Post
    I see where you're coming from, but this reasoning only applies to the Western mentality. Japanese don't have any problem buying a super high end model from the same company that produces a $100 model.
    This hasn't always been the case.

In the 1880s, if an American wanted the best watch available in the world, he bought a Waltham "American Watch Company". If a working man wanted an inexpensive, durable but still functional watch, he'd very likely buy a 7 jewel movement from the same company. The company still managed to do quite well offering products at both ends of the price spectrum.
    CitizenM and Raoul Duke like this.
    Member National Association of Watch and Clock Collectors
    Member, NAWCC Chapter 149. Vice President and Secretary NAWCC Chapter 140. Member, NAWCC Convention Committee.
    Serious collector of American pocket watches-Waltham(and the predecessor companies) is my specialty.

It's a shame it's not still like that.

Of course, some Americans don't care, like myself.

Quote Originally Posted by Sodiac View Post
    Yes, they are the high-end watches that are locked behind the glass. You have to ask a Walmart associate to show them to you. They are clearly more exclusive than those Timex or Casio lying on the shelf.
    CitizenM likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Sodiac
    So did Omega till about a year ago. It took a law-suit to get them out of there .......
    CitizenM likes this.

Page 1 of 12 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast

Thread Information