Grand Seiko (SBGK005) vs Zenith (El Primero)
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: Grand Seiko (SBGK005) vs Zenith (El Primero)

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Grand Seiko (SBGK005) vs Zenith (El Primero)

Hello!
    As my college graduation/end of education present I am buying myself my very first high end luxury watch. After weeks of deliberating, I have narrowed it down to two models- The Zenith El primero chronomaster 38mm and the Grand Seiko Elegance Limited Edition (SBGK005).

Granted, they are not very similar but I absolutely adore both watches for different reasons. The Zenith El primero has always been one of my favourite watches, for its history, its timeless look (I love the different coloured subdials) and esp the movement. The GS was a bit unexpected, I've always admired GS for the quality of its watches but never really considered buying one. But when I first saw the sbgk005 at an AD, I was immediately blown away- I am in love with its blue Iwate dial, the manual winding movement and that the general look of the watch is very unique at least imo.

I have been stalling over the past couple of days and can't seem to decide. I need to pull the trigger soon as the SBGK005, from what I've seen, is being sold fast (esp. since that Hodinkee article). More Info: I intend to wear this watch every day and it will be worn 90% of the time with a suit. Ofc I am not asking anyone to make a decision for me but any advice/insight would be hugely appreciated as I am new to this process and am yet to hear the opinion of a knowledgeable unbiased person so far as no one in my family nor my circle of friends share this passion for watches that infected me over 5 years ago. Thank you!!!!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Re: Grand Seiko (SBGK005) vs Zenith (El Primero)

Are you looking for a GADA or a more specific purpose? Both are fantastic watches but the GS is more GADA to me. Dress it up with a nice and simple kalf leather strap or put it on mesh or perlon strap to dress it down a bit for summer.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk

Huge congrats on completing your education! I have the GS and do not like the look of any chronograph so won't be of much help but I can/will confirm that the SBGK005 is a great watch, especially since I love manual winds. Good luck to you no matter which watch you're sporting daily . . .
    A.Lange & Sohne * Audemars Piguet * Blancpain * Cartier * Dornblueth & Sohne * Invicta * Jaeger-LeCoultre * Rolex * Revolution Watch Company * Tudor

"the deeper the roots, the higher the reach" - author unknown

Yesterday I was clever, so I wanted to change the world. Today I am wise, so I am changing myself. - Rumi

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by woiter View Post
    Are you looking for a GADA or a more specific purpose? Both are fantastic watches but the GS is more GADA to me. Dress it up with a nice and simple kalf leather strap or put it on mesh or perlon strap to dress it down a bit for summer.

Thank you for your response! Yes I'm really looking for an all-purpose watch but that will be used more for formal wear. And yes I was thinking of exactly the same thing, to buy a simpler leather strap if I were to go with the GS.

Quote Originally Posted by Slipstream13 View Post
    Thank you for your response! Yes I'm really looking for an all-purpose watch but that will be used more for formal wear. And yes I was thinking of exactly the same thing, to buy a simpler leather strap if I were to go with the GS.
    Chronographs are inherently more difficult to dress up. Go for the GS for a more multi purpose watch. Both are lovely watches that anybody should be happy to own. The subdued look of the GS will not get you noticed beyond the most attentive WIS.

Whatever you end up going for I'm sure you will enjoy you watch.

I would choose the GS based on its stunning looks and versatility, however, if you are having an issue choosing still between the two, get the GS LE model now as that Zenith will be around for quite a while.
    Blitzzz likes this.

While the dial is to die for, GS is handwound and not very water resistant. It would be a better second watch than a first watch, if you know what I mean. Can’t really argue with El Primero, but you might want to keep searching, as the two watches are very different and you could get a ton of interesting models at this price point.

Are you set on the leather thing? Cause I’m not a bracelet guy but I like having an option.

IMHO

No one will care what watch you wear with a suit as long as it fits under the cuff. Or for that matter, what dress watch you wear with jeans and a polo shirt.

I think the Zenith is a better buy here. One has been on my to-buy eventually list.

As to the Uniqueness of the GS. I think the GO Sixties collection has a better look at a similar price point, and are automatic. Every time I look at the Sieko I think of how nice it is, but makes me want to go back and look at the GO Sixties again.

Name:  GlashuCC88tte-Original-Sixties-Iconic-Collection-3.jpg
Views: 72
Size:  104.8 KB
    Name:  Glashütte+Original+Sixties+Panorama+Date+Green+and+Sixties+Time+Only.jpg
Views: 72
Size:  94.2 KB
    41Mets likes this.
    Core Collection:
    H. Moser & Cie Venture Small Seconds 2327-0402, Omega Aqua Terra 231.53.39.21.06.002, JLC Reverso Flyback Chrono 255.182, JLC Reverso Grande Taille 270.3.62, Rolex OP 1966 1002, Ulysee Nardin Perpetual GMT 321-22, Longines Conquest 1959, Hamilton Electric Spectra 1957, Citizen AQ 4020–54Y, Bulova Accutron Astronaut

With what the OP said I would go with the GS in this case.
    "Life's tragedy is that we get old too soon and wise too late." -Ben Franklin
    Damasko | Hamilton | Longines | Mido | Orient | Oris | Rolex | Timex

Is your heart set on just those 2? Personally, I'd go for something on a bracelet for my GADA, then build up a good strap selection. Grand Seiko have so many that would fit the bill and as most tend to have drilled lugs switching straps out is easy.

If a straight choice between those 2 I actually prefer the Zenith, which is strange as I'm a serious Seiko fan wheras Zenith's have never really done it for me...

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread Information