Grand Seiko Service?
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: Grand Seiko Service?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Grand Seiko Service?

I am a big fan of Grand Seiko (don't have one yet but ranks highly in the to get list). I like the quality, in-house manufacturer, and accuracy (adjusted to 6 positions) etc. However, the following article The Wristwatch Guide: EDITORIAL: The Service Dilemma: Vintage Grand Seikos just puts a huge dent of my opinion on GS. The article seemed to imply that GS will only guarantee keeping parts around for 10 years for a watch repair.

While it is understandable that parts of a vintage watch may not be available, what I am interested in is the quality of GS service compared to other watches. For those of you who have GS serviced, will you share your experiences compared to other brands of watches that you have?

I hope the service is as good as the quality of their watches and this incident is an isolation due to vintage watches. Thank you.

Re: Grand Seiko Service?

I have the exact same 61gs as featured in the article you cited. It's a thing of beauty and truly unfortunate that Grand Seiko couldn't have done better. However, it should be noted that not only did the Seiko quartz kill off a number of mechanical watchmakers the world over, ironically, it also killed off the grand seiko division in 75-76. I can't remember. Mechanical grand seiko was really only reintroduced less than 10 years ago! So far from what I've heard in Singapore, its really quite hassle free getting the watches to Japan for the usual quote and service but the process may be fairly long. I suspect it'll be a little more efficient through their Japanese domestic dealership. Post this up in the Seiko / citizen forum and I'm sure you'll get more knowledgeable responses. Cheers!

No surprise there; Seiko is not exactly known for supporting its older products.
    PW13 likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I mean to be fair the 61gs was manufactured more than 40 years ago. I found it hilarious that the author of the article likened the mainspring to the alternator in a car. It's more like looking for a brand new carburetor. It'll be interesting though to find out which swiss maker carries parts like the mainspring for an obsolete movement made 40 years ago without an expensive rebuild.
    CitizenM and Watchnut12 like this.

@leathaltoes
    It is even more hilarious that you think it is like a carburetor. It was meant as an analogy. You clearly do not understand what that is, nor do you have any knowledge of the watch industry. New movements are not introduced every year, they last for years and year and years. 40 years is not that long in the Swiss watch industry, and the Swiss pride themselves on being able to fix what they make for many, many years. The movement is far from obsolete, especially considering they still make watches with similar movements. In fact, they likely even have a mainspring with the same measurements, in a current movement. And if they are not going to do the complete (expensive $450+) overhaul for which is was sent to Japan to do, then they should at least provide a resource to help the consumer find the part and/or the specs for the part. In this case, the mainspring measures: 1.05 x .15 x 340 x 10.5 mm but that was provided by a reader via a third party site, not by the company that manufactured the watch. Pretty bad on their part.
    Last edited by PW13; August 19th, 2013 at 15:59.

Quote Originally Posted by PW13 View Post
    @leathaltoes
    It is even more hilarious that you think it is like a carburetor. It was meant as an analogy. You clearly do not understand what that is, nor do you have any knowledge of the watch industry. New movements are not introduced every year, they last for years and year and years. 40 years is not that long in the Swiss watch industry, and the Swiss pride themselves on being able to fix what they make for many, many years. The movement is far from obsolete, especially considering they still make watches with similar movements. In fact, they likely even have a mainspring with the same measurements, in a current movement. And if they are not going to do the complete (expensive $450+) overhaul for which is was sent to Japan to do, then they should at least provide a resource to help the consumer find the part and/or the specs for the part. In this case, the mainspring measures: 1.05 x .15 x 340 x 10.5 mm but that was provided by a reader via a third party site, not by the company that manufactured the watch. Pretty bad on their part.
    I agree would add, that I have serviced an Omega vintage (circa 1967) at the Swatch Service Center in Miami last year with no issues and a Rolex 1675 (circa 1965) at Rolex also with no problems, last April.
    GS's are nice, lack of Service Centers in the US however is a problem and a big turn off.
    Last edited by eddiea; August 19th, 2013 at 16:11.

Ha ha. Hi Pw13. You sound really angry. I'm assuming you are the author of the article?

Quote Originally Posted by lethaltoes View Post
    Ha ha. Hi Pw13. You sound really angry. I'm assuming you are the author of the article?
    Not angry at all.

Quote Originally Posted by hawkeyes View Post
    I am a big fan of Grand Seiko (don't have one yet but ranks highly in the to get list). I like the quality, in-house manufacturer, and accuracy (adjusted to 6 positions) etc. However, the following article The Wristwatch Guide: EDITORIAL: The Service Dilemma: Vintage Grand Seikos just puts a huge dent of my opinion on GS. The article seemed to imply that GS will only guarantee keeping parts around for 10 years for a watch repair.

While it is understandable that parts of a vintage watch may not be available, what I am interested in is the quality of GS service compared to other watches. For those of you who have GS serviced, will you share your experiences compared to other brands of watches that you have?

I hope the service is as good as the quality of their watches and this incident is an isolation due to vintage watches. Thank you.
    There is really no need for any model Seiko to be sent back Japan for service. Any good watch repairman should be able to handle that locally at a lower price. The lack of USA service centers has not kept me from buying lesser known watches. Chances are that no part will need replacement on a GS mivement.
    CitizenM likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by John MS View Post
    There is really no need for any model Seiko to be sent back Japan for service. Any good watch repairman should be able to handle that locally at a lower price. The lack of USA service centers has not kept me from buying lesser known watches. Chances are that no part will need replacement on a GS mivement.
    I tend to desagree with that.....if I paying 4/5/G's (or more) for a watch like the GS line, it better have a service center reasonable close , is all about my needs , I'm after all the one paying .

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information