granular moisture under my crystal

Thread: granular moisture under my crystal

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

granular moisture under my crystal

Hi All!
    I'm a first time poster to WatchuSeek, but have read many helpful reviews in the past. I'm hoping some of the knowledgeable people here can help me out!
    I purchased a Ulysse Nardin this year in January, and returning to USA from Europe, my crystal started to fog up. I fell asleep leaning against the side of the airplane which was very hot due to the shining sun. In any case, the watch collected a lot of "moisture" but it was actually granular. Once I got home, I opened up the crown, and after a few days, it's gone back to normal.
    It's an expensive watch, purchased through Joma, and they are not offering any help or warranty. I'm afraid, and seeking advice as to whether to just take it to a local watch repair shop, or should I be concerned with its authenticity, etc.?
    Thank you,
    AJ
    Attached Images Attached Images

N 32 deg, 47' 27.9168"; W 79 deg, 54' 30.3372"

Re: granular moisture under my crystal

Granular moisture?
    familiaritas parit contemptum; raritate admiratione wins.- Lucius Apuleius
    est necessry, accurate ad secundo? - Lysander magna
    iustum est horologium - Obscurus Genius

Moisture inside such a nice watch likely means you must have the watch serviced. Opening the back and inspecting really cannot tell much. You probably need to have it serviced. If you have a good watch smith you could have them open it up and look. But they really can't see much.

Sorry.

btw that is a lovely watch. I seriously considered that watch for a while.
    Last edited by Gary123; October 19th, 2015 at 00:40.
    Chronographs: Breitling 2 tone Chronomat Evo, Roger Dubuis Easy Diver, DeWitt Academia Sequential, Franck Muller Conquistador, IWC Aquatimer, Hublot Oceanographic 1000, Parmigiani Pershing 45, Paul Picot Plongeur, Royal Oak Offshore Gstaad, Franck Muller Vanguard Carbon, Franck Muller Conquistador, Chopard Mille Miglia, Zenith Defy Aero.. 3 Hand: Angular Momentum diver, Bucherer ScubaTec 2-tone, UN MM Diver 2-tone, Omega Ploprof, Ball Hunley, Omega SM 300 Master Co-Ax 2-tone, Chopard Pro 1, Zodiac Super Sea Wolf, Panerai Sub ti, Monta OceanKing, Breitling SOH II

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by ajain17 View Post
    Hi All!
    I'm a first time poster to WatchuSeek, but have read many helpful reviews in the past. I'm hoping some of the knowledgeable people here can help me out!
    I purchased a Ulysse Nardin this year in January, and returning to USA from Europe, my crystal started to fog up. I fell asleep leaning against the side of the airplane which was very hot due to the shining sun. In any case, the watch collected a lot of "moisture" but it was actually granular. Once I got home, I opened up the crown, and after a few days, it's gone back to normal.
    It's an expensive watch, purchased through Joma, and they are not offering any help or warranty. I'm afraid, and seeking advice as to whether to just take it to a local watch repair shop, or should I be concerned with its authenticity, etc.?
    Thank you,
    AJ
    Hum, moisture inside is not good. I'd have it looked at by a good watchmaker
    "Some day I'm going to buy a real wristwatch"

"When I only had one watch I always knew what time it was, but now I'm no longer sure"

Time is somewhat of the essence. If you have any of those gel moisture absorbing packets I'd put them with the watch into sealed jar and get it to a watchsmith. You probably should send it to an authorized Ulysse Nardin authorized repair center. I would take care of this right away, this will not be cheap. You could be looking at upwards of $1,000 to service this watch.
    Chronographs: Breitling 2 tone Chronomat Evo, Roger Dubuis Easy Diver, DeWitt Academia Sequential, Franck Muller Conquistador, IWC Aquatimer, Hublot Oceanographic 1000, Parmigiani Pershing 45, Paul Picot Plongeur, Royal Oak Offshore Gstaad, Franck Muller Vanguard Carbon, Franck Muller Conquistador, Chopard Mille Miglia, Zenith Defy Aero.. 3 Hand: Angular Momentum diver, Bucherer ScubaTec 2-tone, UN MM Diver 2-tone, Omega Ploprof, Ball Hunley, Omega SM 300 Master Co-Ax 2-tone, Chopard Pro 1, Zodiac Super Sea Wolf, Panerai Sub ti, Monta OceanKing, Breitling SOH II

If there is moisture inside the crystal then it's also in the movement and that's a big problem. It seems like anytime a watch has moisture inside the case the manufacturer assumes you left the crown open unless they can verify something is defective. Far from ideal, but it is the norm.

If you got it from Joma I wouldn't be worried about it's authenticity. But I would be worried about the moisture, find a U.N. dealer local or send it back to U.N. directly soon!

Does'nt JOMA warranty their pieces with a 3rd party company ? Less that a year old ?? I would definately push Joma into service...

BTW Beautiful watch !
    In Valor there is Hope - Tacitus

Quote Originally Posted by u2bdet View Post
    Does'nt JOMA warranty their pieces with a 3rd party company ? Less that a year old ?? I would definately push Joma into service...

BTW Beautiful watch !
    Most places would assume it was the owner not screwing the crown down or doing something else that caused the exposure (such as exposing it to too much heat and causing the seals to fail) rather than the manufacturer's fault. Just because something is under warranty doesn't mean everything is fixed for free, regardless of what Amazon has all taught us.
    Current Collection - | Ball | Bvlgari | Casio | Citizen | Credor | Girard-Perregaux | Graham | Gübelin | Hamilton | Jaeger-LeCoultre | Longines | Minase | Mühle Glashütte | NOMOS Glashütte | Omega | Rolex | Seiko | Swatch | Undone | Vacheron Constantin | Victorinox Swiss Army |
    Mulling Over - | Minase Horizon | Reservoir |
    On deck - | Omega Speedmaster Apollo 8 Dark Side of the Moon |
    Waiting to be on deck - | Omega Speedmaster Apollo 11 50th Anniversary |

If you got it from Joma it will be real but warranty work or not I wouldn't let the have a watch worth more than about $10 (I've read too many horror stories about the Joma service department) Send it to a good watchmaker or the U N service centre as a matter of urgency.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information