Gratuity

Thread: Gratuity

Gratuity

Is it custom to tip a master watchmaker after a simple maintenance task was performed on a watch (unhooking a spring)? Only reason I ask is because there is a gratuity conversion schedule on the back of his business card and it struck me as odd.

Re: Gratuity

No!

no unless you were bent over the counter and given the meat and 2 potatos treatment

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I would not give a "gratuity" to a watchmaker any more than I would tip my auto mechanic!

However - if that watchmaker did several small favours for me throughout the year without charging me (which mine does) I would certainly show my gratitude with a nice liquid remembrance at the end of the year.

Watch shops and decent people behind the counter are so few and far between here, and we don't have a tipping culture anyway (except for tattoos - someone puts something on you that is permanent, you want to treat them well) - and the reputable "good people" type watch shops never charge for the little things like that bracelet you just can't resize yourself or stuff like that - I always make a point to at least buy SOMETHING there. Maybe a small ticket item of if a watch catches my fancy. I try to play that kindess forward and make it worth their while, as opposed to just being a leech and going there all the time for free service.

I'm sure that's why they offer free service for those little things, hoping it will keep people coming back. But no, I don't tip and it would be a turn-off to see a tipping schedule on the back of a card.

I like PoliceDog's idea if you're going there all the time and haven't found something to buy while there.

Quote Originally Posted by cshort35 View Post
    Is it custom to tip a master watchmaker after a simple maintenance task was performed on a watch (unhooking a spring)? Only reason I ask is because there is a gratuity conversion schedule on the back of his business card and it struck me as odd.
    That is strange. But it may not be strange in the US, where tipping is engrained in the retail culture, and along with sales tax, clearly differentiated from the unadorned price of the product or service.

Short answer is no. The counter-option brought forth by PoliceDog is the method of thanks that I use.

My Watchmaker does little things like give me bracelet pins and screw-driver heads. He has literally thousands of the former and hundreds of the latter that he has collected over the years. And he does things like adjust bracelets and such for my wife's watches when I am deployed overseas. And he likes fine single malt Scotches. So I drop off a nice bottle of the water of life to him a couple of times a year, just to say thank you. He's been in the business for 40 years, used to be a master watchmaker for Rolex, and is now training his son (who goes to Geneva for the 2 year watchmaker's course next fall). Really neat guy and knows that all customer service does not deserve a tip - a simple thank-you work with a nice bottle.

Anyway, just my thoughts.

James
    AUT VIAM INVENIAM AUT FACIAM - "I will either find a way or make one."

Thread Information