The Great Dilemma: A watch for my future wife.
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: The Great Dilemma: A watch for my future wife.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

The Great Dilemma: A watch for my future wife.

I'm having a bit of a dilemma that hopefully some of the members can help me with. Some female input would be extra appreciated.

I'm getting married in a few months, and would like to get a watch for my bride to celebrate the occasion. I'm looking for something timeless and elegant, that she can have hopefully still have 20-30 years from now. She supported me buying a nice watch a few months ago (a Speedy Pro), and I'd like to return the favor and get her something equally nice.

My girlfriend is not necessarily into watches, but one brand that she always mentions liking is Michele. For the last year every time the subject comes up, it's Michele this or Michele that. Here's an example of the one she likes, the Michele Deco:

Now, I don't think the Michele watches are particularly ugly (although some of the definitely get blinged-out too much for my taste), but I have a sense they are a definite trend these days. I see them in every watch shop and department section, and in-the-wild sightings are not uncommon. The check out girl at the grocery store yesterday had one.

So here's my dilemma. There is no doubt in my mind that she wants a Michele watch, and if this was a regular birthday gift, I would get it for her. However, I would like this watch to be something that lasts, and I'm not convinced that Michele is the way to go. I feel like it is trend that in 2-3 years will most likely be a little passe and I'm a tad uncomfortable spending a grand on a fashion watch.

So, the question is, do I bite the bullet and get the Michele, or buy her something that is similar in style, but perhaps more elegant and from a brand with a little more watch cred?

While my budget has always been under 2k, my initial thought was to stretch my limit a bit and get her a JLC Reverso, as in watch terms its hard to get any more elegant and timeless! But one day when i was browsing some watches online, and casually asked her opinion, she dismissed it and said it was too old-fashioned….. so that was that. I've seen them in person and I think they are stunning, but I'm not going to invest 4k in a watch she is ambivalent about!

I then landed onto the Cartier Tank Solo, which is similar in shape and style to the Michele, but of course has a little more history behind it. While Cartier isn't necessarily the watchmakers watch, it's a nice combination of history and of course offers brand recognition that a non-WIS would appreciate. She does like that one as well (her boss had one and she mentioned it one day.) At the moment, it's my favorite for her, but part of me is still unsure if I should forget about the future, value for money, and all that reasoning and get her the Michele.

The Cartier Tank Solo:

So what would you do? I know the prevailing opinion is to get them what they want, but keep in mind that I'm not in the financial position of spending thousands on a watch every year, so this one should count for the long-term.

Do any members here have any experience with Michele watches? What are your opinions on them? Do you see them being a long-term watch brand, or just a passing fad?

I also wouldn't mind a few other suggestions if people have them. If so, keep in mind the following criteria:

- Rectangular/ Tank-style shape
    - Elegant and timeless as possible
    - Under 3k
    - Stainless Steel case and bracelet
    - A little bling is ok, just nothing obnoxious.

Thanks in advance for any guidance or opinion....

Re: The Great Dilemma: A watch for my future wife.

Get her the Michele! I used to sell them and sold a lot. The lower end is Japanese and higher is Swiss. Not a passing "fad" and
    besides, Michele is a babe. For what they are, there're a very good timepiece. "Timeless", another overused word on these
    forums.

Banned
    where leaves, boatmen, dinosaurs, and a bevy of other losers pretend to play sports

Nothing says timeless classy love like an iced out frogman. Maybe a few battery swaps, but it's got 30 years on it easy.

Name:  frosted frog.jpg
Views: 2732
Size:  105.8 KB

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

How about this Longines DolceVita?

Regards,

Richard

That is tough, it does seem all the girls love michele watches. I would go with the cartier for sure though, especially for your wife. That watch will never get old.

Michele. You know what she wants. You've got a lifetime to teach her to appreciate a Cartier which you can get for your 5th anniversary.
    cp_ste.croix likes this.

There are fathers who do not love their children; there is no grandfather who does not adore his grandson. ~ Victor Hugo

Quote Originally Posted by Ray MacDonald View Post
    Michele. You know what she wants. You've got a lifetime to teach her to appreciate a Cartier which you can get for your 5th anniversary.
    This is the right answer...regardless of how much "better" the alternative watch may be, it won't be the one that she wants.

The choice might depend somewhat on the occasion. My first Christmas gift to my girlfriend who would become wife was a gold plated Seiko (it was a lot of money for an 18 year old). Now 3 decades later the gold is worn off to the point that it looks ugly and she doesn't wear it. Think about something that will last if the occasion is one that you will always mark. As you said, if this was a birthday gift, then get the Michelle, birthdays come every year. But you are only going to marry her once, so I would choose the Cartier. It also depends on her personality. If she is very practical she might not want a watch at $2k that ends up sitting in a box when it is no longer fashionable so a Cartier is the better choice. But if she is really sentimental (women usually are) then she will love the Michelle and even if it is out of style in 20 years and she never wears it, she will still love it. The Michelle might be the sentimental choice.

Woah, I seem to have gone through a wormhole and arrived in a bizarre parallel dimension where WUS members recommend a Michele over a Cartier.

Ooops. I found the problem. I've got the URL wrong...http://you-cant-be-serious.watchuseek.com....

Get the Cartier.

Quote Originally Posted by interested_party View Post
    Woah, I seem to have gone through a wormhole and arrived in a bizarre parallel dimension where WUS members recommend a Michele over a Cartier.
    Asking about a watch? Get the Cartier. But...

He's not asking for advice about a watch.

He's asking for advice about women.

Last edited by SynMike; March 15th, 2011 at 04:21.
    cp_ste.croix likes this.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread Information