greatest danger + most expensive watch - Page 3

Thread: greatest danger + most expensive watch

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    Banned

Re: greatest danger + most expensive watch

Funny thread.
    I did not realise that people babyied the watches to that extent.
    I do what I have to do, disregarding what is on the wrist that day.
    That is what they are made for.

As I only wear one watch at a time, I guess I expose them for 50% less chance of damage.

I was discussing this with my sister and her husband today. He has a TAG Monaco, wears it all day every day, has done for years. He put a little scratch in the crystal and my sister was berating him for not being more careful (he's not generally very careful anyway, and she may have been on edge as he recently lost his wedding ring after only three months of marriage :( ). But he just brushed her off and said that it's part of ownership, he's not reckless with it but these things happen. I'm with him on this one.

Having said that I do tend to take my watch off whenever I'm doing anything risky (cycling, playing baseball, wrenching on my bikes, painting, that sort of thing), and on at least a few occasions I've hit my wrist with something hard or sharp that would've surely done some damage.
    Last edited by Joe Nation; December 27th, 2010 at 20:28.

Quote Originally Posted by Chronopolis View Post
    What did I have on?: Debaufre Cesar on the left, and O&W Mirage III on the right.
    I realize I'm off-topic... but Huh? Double-fisting??? Doesn't that feel like someone slapped some manacles on you?

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

A certain number of dings and scratches are to be expected. They lend character to the watch and make it yours.

SBD

I played tennis on a dessert island during a post-apocalypse zombie invasion while wearing two watches once.

I regularly engage in questionable outdoor sports-- eg mtb, skiing, trail running, and have worn some pretty expensive watches while doing so. Until this winter actually, when I got bit by the G-shock bug-- so now I wear G-shocks or rubber HRM/fitness watches for that stuff.
    Regards.

Current Rotation: breitling cockpit -oris TT1 date black -seiko skx781 "orange monster" -seiko snm035 "landmonster" -citizen Promaster Titanium Eco-Drive 300m BJ8041-09E "ecozilla" -citizen ecodrive professional titanium BN0016-55L, blue dial "orca" -getat 44mm sterile rose gold luminor-style manual wind -getat 44mm sterile PVD orange "numbrels" manual wind --invictas: 8926c,8928ob,3712, 6410, 6024, 6924, 6926, 6927

Quote Originally Posted by Chronopolis View Post
    I don't have one but maybe I should get one! :D
    DOH! :D
    I honestly think one of the best purchases you can make watch wise is to find an atomic solar G you like and buy it. You can beat the loving crap out of them and never have to worry, solar = no batteries and atomic = never having to set the time and the power save feature turns the dial off if it hasn't been moved (and isnt receiving power from a light source)

I set my other watches to my MTG-900 which gets play time whenever I may be doing things risky for my other pieces. A buddy of mine didnt believe how old my G was and what I claimed to have done in it... I took it off, rolled it in my hand and threw it as high as I could in the air to let it fall to the parking lot concrete... after he saw it was no worse for wear (9 years old its scratched up plenty) he just smiled and said 'point taken'.

A G is the best form of watch insurance you can have IMO.
    Ω SMP 300M 2220.80 • Hamilton H78465553 • Helm Vanuatu 01AR1 • Laco Aachen • Vintage Seiko 5 6309-8239 • G-Shock GW7900B-1 • G-Shock MTG900 • DTW LE Chrono

True Grail : A. Lange & Söhne Zeitwerk

lvt

Just wear a G-shock when you do some manual works, you don't know what will happen to the watch but you'll always know how much the potential damage might cost ;)
    Ball - Casio (G-shock) - HMT - Longines - Parnis - Seagull - Steinhart - Tissot - Victorinox - Yema

Familiarity breeds contempt... Hey, yeah, I agree that would have been a loss if you broke them, but they would still be in your possession and could be possibly fixed. But these things happen.

It's not like you carelessly lost 1.8 million dollars while eating fast food...

Stradivarius violin worth £1.2m stolen in London | Music | guardian.co.uk

ouch.
    Ω SMP 300M 2220.80 • Hamilton H78465553 • Helm Vanuatu 01AR1 • Laco Aachen • Vintage Seiko 5 6309-8239 • G-Shock GW7900B-1 • G-Shock MTG900 • DTW LE Chrono

True Grail : A. Lange & Söhne Zeitwerk

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread Information