greatest danger + most expensive watch - Page 4

Thread: greatest danger + most expensive watch

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Re: greatest danger + most expensive watch

just today, I was moving a elliptical machine to 2nd floor with this watch on, I wear my watches all the time and if it gets scratched , really no big deal ...
    KOBOLD x 4, ROLEX , Corum, concord im

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Hughes View Post
    A certain number of dings and scratches are to be expected. They lend character to the watch and make it yours.

+1 !
    Last edited by Chronopolis; December 28th, 2010 at 21:36.

Confused Re: greatest danger + most expensive watch

Actually, this is an interesting question. My perspective is from the mechanical side. I have a number of mechanical watches (all of which have ETA works in them, incidentally). How much vibration and punishment can a mechanical movement take? Personally I ride a bike 10 kms to and from work every day on both bumpy tarmac and gravel road. So far I have not had any problem, but should I be worried? I believe the new british brand Bremont puts their watches through a lot of punishment, including shooting them out an Martin Baker ejector seat.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Mechanicals are made to take abuse. Their entire history, going all the way back to pocket watches, is focused on robust design. People baby these things WAY more than they need to.

Quote Originally Posted by hidden by leaves View Post
    All I can think about is why on earth anyone would wear two watches at once. Beyond doubling the chances of damaging, it is just silly.

Otherwise, I think most watches should be able to be lived in and with no matter what comes up (within reason).
    I've worn two watches when I needed to time multiple things at once. Like when in the kitchen, I'll wear a standard chronograph or watch with a dive bezel on my left and my G-Shock with countdown timer, alarm, and stopwatch on the right. Very useful.
    TAG Heuer Monaco LE|Omega Speedmaster|Seamaster 300MC|Rolex Submariner|Tudor Ranger

How did it get so late so soon?

Reasons I wear two watches sometimes;

1) I'm a big dork.

2) I only have a two slot winder, so I tend to wear my Kinetic on my left wrist one evening a week to keep it charged up (it doesn't work in the winder) or one of my other watches that needs winding up.

3) I'm a big dork.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Nation View Post
    I was discussing this with my sister and her husband today. He has a TAG Monaco, wears it all day every day, has done for years. He put a little scratch in the crystal and my sister was berating him for not being more careful (he's not generally very careful anyway, and she may have been on edge as he recently lost his wedding ring after only three months of marriage :( ). But he just brushed her off and said that it's part of ownership, he's not reckless with it but these things happen. I'm with him on this one.

Having said that I do tend to take my watch off whenever I'm doing anything risky (cycling, playing baseball, wrenching on my bikes, painting, that sort of thing), and on at least a few occasions I've hit my wrist with something hard or sharp that would've surely done some damage.
    Ooh, as a Monaco owner, that makes me cringe. My Vintage has an acrylic crystal that scratches so easily and it only has 30m WR and the watch is my most valuable, both in dollar and sentimental value. I'm incredibly careful when I wear it. It's strange to think that when I first got it, I would wear it every other day, as I only had two watches. Now I wear it once a week. Kind of sad, really.
    TAG Heuer Monaco LE|Omega Speedmaster|Seamaster 300MC|Rolex Submariner|Tudor Ranger

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Hughes View Post
    Reasons I wear two watches sometimes;

1) I'm a big dork.

2) I only have a two slot winder, so I tend to wear my Kinetic on my left wrist one evening a week to keep it charged up (it doesn't work in the winder) or one of my other watches that needs winding up.

3) I'm a big dork.
    Full disclosure, I saw Will Smith wearing two watches in I Am Legend and I thought it looked cool, so yes, sometimes I wear two when lounging my apartment.

If someone wants to wear two watches at once, that's their right. Just not for me.

Anyway, I wore an Omega Planet Ocean to work (blue collar) a number of different times. I work with wrenches, and other tools all day long.

I'm with Chris H on this one. Tools, watches, knives are all meant to be used. I'll take my watch off for certain activities (sleeping, showering, boxing, and kettlebell), but wear mine pretty much all the time; wear marks add character.
    Last edited by enkidu; December 29th, 2010 at 09:57. Reason: added sleeping
    Nomos Orion Anthracite; Destro watches: Ω "Great White" GMT, MKII Blackwater, Sinn EZM1 LE, IWC 3536-001, MKII Kingston, Precista Speedbird I, Casio MR-G120, Casio GW-5000, Sinn EZM2; Former Watches: Corvus Bradley

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread Information