greatest danger + most expensive watch - Page 5

Thread: greatest danger + most expensive watch

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5

Re: greatest danger + most expensive watch

Quote Originally Posted by enkidu View Post
    I'm with Chris H on this one. Tools, watches, knives are all meant to be used. I'll take my watch off for certain activities (sleeping, showering, boxing, and kettlebell), but wear mine pretty much all the time; wear marks add character.
    Oh, absolutely: I'm with you there. Watches ARE meant to be used - within "reason" of course.
    My point was, it's just that sometimes we find ourselves in a situation we didn't expect that requires our active intervention, but somehow we are reluctant - choose to forget? - to take our watches off for some reason! (Who knows why?) At that point, it's all just a matter of luck whether the watch survives the adventure.

Just sayin', if I were PLANNING to go on a camping trip or do roof repairs, I JUST MIGHT choose to leave at home that Harrison Ford (or some other icon of "ruggedness" LOL) designed "rugged" and "high action" mechanical chrono that cost me $2000+ , and take instead one that I COULD bang up nicely and not lose sleep over.
    So the watches that ends up getting most of the "character" are the ones that were never advertised as "rugged"; and didn't have "Explorer" as part of its name; and was never shown next to pictures of guys in sub-zero gear; or pulling 4-Gs, or rope on a sailboat.

Quote Originally Posted by Terry M. View Post
    If someone wants to wear two watches at once, that's their right. Just not for me.

Anyway, I wore an Omega Planet Ocean to work (blue collar) a number of different times. I work with wrenches, and other tools all day long.
    Wow, that is surprising. What made you decide to do that? Was the OPO already "full of character" that it could take on a bit more?

My greatest danger? Taking the NYC subway at all hours of the night in the early 90s with a vintage rolex explorer ii on my wrist. Okay not quite K-2. But probably more risky for a nice watch.
    Now: Rolex Explorer II ref. 1655, ca. 1971, Rolex Milgauss (black) ca. 2008, IWC GST Aquatimer (titanium) ref. 3536, ca. 1999, Omega dress watch (601 movement, 1960s, bought in 1966)
    Gone baby gone: Rolex Submariner ref. 5512, Rolex Submariner ref. 5513, Rolex GMT Master, Rolex Datejust, Rolex Air King (1st 'nice' watch), Hamilton Tank (10K vintage), IWC Mark XII ca. 1998,
    IWC Compass Watch ca. 1980 ref. 3510, JLC Memovox (ca. 1965), Omega Moonwatch (30th anniversary), Omega Seamaster (552 movement, 1960s), Omega Seamaster Multifunction, Seiko Marinemaster 300m ref SBDX001 (2007), UTS 500m (platinum dial)

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Chronopolis View Post
    Oh, absolutely: I'm with you there. Watches ARE meant to be used - within "reason" of course.
    My point was, it's just that sometimes we find ourselves in a situation we didn't expect that requires our active intervention, but somehow we are reluctant - choose to forget? - to take our watches off for some reason! (Who knows why?) At that point, it's all just a matter of luck whether the watch survives the adventure.

Just sayin', if I were PLANNING to go on a camping trip or do roof repairs, I JUST MIGHT choose to leave at home that Harrison Ford (or some other icon of "ruggedness" LOL) designed "rugged" and "high action" mechanical chrono that cost me $2000+ , and take instead one that I COULD bang up nicely and not lose sleep over.
    So the watches that ends up getting most of the "character" are the ones that were never advertised as "rugged"; and didn't have "Explorer" as part of its name; and was never shown next to pictures of guys in sub-zero gear; or pulling 4-Gs, or rope on a sailboat.
    I'm totally with you there. I don't have a chrono, but I'd definitely forgo taking it to the beach or on a climbing/hiking trip.
    Nomos Orion Anthracite; Destro watches: Ω "Great White" GMT, MKII Blackwater, Sinn EZM1 LE, IWC 3536-001, MKII Kingston, Precista Speedbird I, Casio MR-G120, Casio GW-5000, Sinn EZM2; Former Watches: Corvus Bradley

Quote Originally Posted by ulackfocus View Post
    I assembled a room sized display at work with the VC on. The cash drawer slammed shut on it the same week. I survived as did the watch. Really, it did.
    I assemble a lot of stuff at work with my Explorer on. It also has survived cash register incidents... and much much worse. I lift weights with it on sometimes, I could easily destroy it in the process I am sure- but I forget I have it on.

Quote Originally Posted by Kmeqk View Post
    I assemble a lot of stuff at work with my Explorer on. It also has survived cash register incidents... and much much worse. I lift weights with it on sometimes, I could easily destroy it in the process I am sure- but I forget I have it on.

I do admire the "dontgiveashit" attitood. I aspire to attain that actually.
    Not to be careless with things, but just more detached.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5

Thread Information