Grenon's of Newport recommendation
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Watchbreath
  • 1 Post By Grenon's of Newport

Thread: Grenon's of Newport recommendation

Grenon's of Newport recommendation

We were in Newport today and stopped in at Grenon's. What an outstanding experience. I dealt primarily with Betsy, but Ray and another staff member where there and they were all excellent. I went in initially to see the Ball Chronometer Red 43mm because I've been considering it as an alternative to the more expensive Omega AT. Unfortunately, they didn't have the watch in stock but Betsy was willing to go the extra mile if I really wanted the piece and offered me an outstanding price, far better than what I was offered by a local Boston Ball AD. Definitely something to consider.

After discussing the Ball at length Betsy showed me numerous pieces from some of the other brands in their inventory and even had my lady friend try on some diamonds to keep her entertained while I tried on multiple watches and asked an absurd number of questions. They had some outstanding Belmont and Alpina models (the first time I have seen these brands in the flesh) but I was really drawn to the Alexander Shorokhoff Blue Royal Automatic Chronograph and am now considering it in lieu of the Ball or AT. I want to sleep on it and research the brand a bit more but may be calling Betsy in the near future to give that watch a new home.

Name:  IMG_1139.jpg
Views: 192
Size:  112.0 KB

Name:  IMG_1140.jpg
Views: 171
Size:  84.3 KB

And while I don't need another dive watch, I also really liked a pair of Schaumburg Aquamatics I tried on.

Name:  IMG_1142.jpg
Views: 171
Size:  84.8 KB

Name:  IMG_1145.jpg
Views: 168
Size:  83.1 KB

I can honestly say this was one of the best, if not the best, experience I've ever had in a jewelery store. The entire staff was so knowledgeable and friendly. They carry a large number of brands, have a huge inventory (the entire right side of the shop is dedicated to time pieces) and they carry many brands that you don't often see state side. I was so excited when I got home and saw that their shop is a WUS sponsor. They have definitely earned a future customer. I can't say enough good things about them.
    Last edited by RyanPatrick; June 21st, 2014 at 04:18.

Re: Grenon's of Newport recommendation

2nd that, purchased a Schaumburg watch a few years ago from Grenon's, excellent service, great experience . . .
    A.Lange & Sohne *anOrdain * Audemars Piguet * Blancpain * Cartier * Dornblueth & Sohne * Invicta * Jaeger-LeCoultre * Méraud * Rolex * Revolution Watch Company * Tiffany & Company * Tudor

"the deeper the roots, the higher the reach" - author unknown

Yesterday I was clever, so I wanted to change the world. Today I am wise, so I am changing myself. - Rumi

I'll pass on the top one at 60 mph.
    Docrwm likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Watchbreath View Post
    I'll pass on the top one at 60 mph.
    Guess it's not for everyone. I really liked it. I'm really drawn to that dial.

Grenon's is a cool place. Ray is a great guy who is passionate about this hobby just like us.
    Regards,

Richard

Good to know.
    "Either he's dead or my watch has stopped"
    Groucho Marx

"The only reason for time is so that everything does not happen at once..."
    Albert Einstein

Thank you so much for the kind words Ryan! Come on by anytime and we'll be happy to show you around again!
    RyanPatrick likes this.

Second that Grenon's is a top notch AD as I've been in a few times when my daughter was attending college there.

I know you didn't ask for an opinion on the watches you looked at, but the Ball you originally sought plays WAY beyond its price point and should still be considered. The Schaumberg is also a brand that should command way more money.

Quote Originally Posted by wschofield3 View Post
    Second that Grenon's is a top notch AD as I've been in a few times when my daughter was attending college there.

I know you didn't ask for an opinion on the watches you looked at, but the Ball you originally sought plays WAY beyond its price point and should still be considered. The Schaumberg is also a brand that should command way more money.
    I'm still interested in the Ball. The problem is I can't track one down to try on in person. I've seen the 40mm but want to try the 43mm.
    The Schaumbergs I looked at did appear to be very nice given the price point.

Thread Information