Grey Market new or Used

Thread: Grey Market new or Used

Grey Market new or Used

Hi everyone,

What would you do if you could get the same watch, brand new with tags (grey market) or used, when the price difference between the two is less than $100?

For example, I'm currently in the market for a watch with an overpriced MSRP of $1,695. There are two offers on eBay, one for a used one for $630 (it says that the watch is in good condition with minimal signs of wear), and another for a "New with tags" one for $700. Is it worth to get it new? Wouldn't it be better to get the used one and use the extra funds for a strap (comes with a black strap and I want to see how it looks with a brown one)?

BTW, do you think it is a good price for a watch with a 7750 Valjoux movement?
    Last edited by DarthVedder; June 24th, 2013 at 08:45.

Re: Grey Market new or Used

If it was from a reputable grey market dealer, then I absolutely think it would be worth a 10% premium for a new watch vs. a preowned watch.

Patek Philippe Calatrava 5119J; Vacheron Constantin Overseas; Jaeger-LeCoultre Grande Reverso Duo; Rolex Submariner 114060; Omega Seamaster 300; Montblanc Heritage Dual Time; Tudor Black Bay, Black Bay GMT.

Armida A12; Borealis Estoril; Bulova Accutron II Alpha, Moonwatch; Casio GMW-B5000D, GW-5000, GST-W310; Coach Fulton; Hamilton Khaki Field; Helson Skindiver; Orient 60th Anniversary; Seagull Tourbillon, 1963 Air Force; Seiko SNA089P, SUN025P1; Steinhart OVM; Swatch Body and Soul, Heracles, Sistem51, Uncle Charly; Victorinox Alliance, Infantry Vintage.

by buying new, you save money in terms of delaying the need to get service. and $700 is a good deal for a valjoux7750. The absolute cheapest 7750 based watch I have ever seen is around $500, and they can go all the way up to several thousand on say a baume et mercier or panerai.
    :)

14060m, 16200, Pam48, AT8500, El Primero 1969, Speedy FOIS, Antea KS, Orion Minimatik, ST8000SA Tourbillon, Zeppelin 7618-1

want: ALS Saxonia, PP Nautilus,

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

The service part is a great point. I will go with the new one, since it's only a 10% difference in prices.

New
    Pretty good price for a 7750.

For this small of a price differential, I would buy new every time.
    "The stuff that dreams are made of…" - RGM ‘801 EE Motor Barrel’

Grey.....Sometimes you even get a factory warranty in there too. Happened to me 3 times.

Thread Information