"Grey Market" question
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: "Grey Market" question

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

"Grey Market" question

I know there has been a lot said about Grey Market. I basically understand from the Grey Market you get a new watch without the support or warranty from the manufactuer or AD and you pay less - sometimes significantly less. I don't understand how these watches move around and get offered at these discounts but they often appear to be rather alluring.

So my question is this. Say I buy a watch from another geographic market that I live in for example EU and I'm in USA. It is purchased at a large discount and the watch arrives with a stamped AD warranty card - did I just buy off the Grey Market or is it simply a good deal? The manufacture warranty should be valid regardless of where purchased? or not?

Thanks for any insight

Re: "Grey Market" question

Other than Rolex (theoretically, at least, RolexUS owns the distribution rights in the USA), you should be covered by a worldwide warranty no matter where you buy a watch with a legitimate warranty.
    rfortson likes this.
    Some days it's just not worth chewing through the restraints

mav

If you receive the warranty card, stamped by an AD, even if the AD is in another country, then it’s usually covered worldwide.
    Last edited by mav; May 30th, 2018 at 17:20.
    ♛ Rolex | Ω Omega | IWC | Zenith | Tudor | Seiko
    @aguynamedtommy

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

*Usually* covered globally.

If it's a model intended to be sold only within certain regions and you buy it there, you may need to ship it back there for service. It's covered but not in your current geography.
    Choose a job you love, and you'll never work a day in your life because that field isn't hiring.

That's why I ask. It is Maurice Lacroix and the warranty reads there is a service center for purchases made in USA and purchases in EU. It seems odd and I was thinking maybe that's the reason for such a discount.

I'm not sure that's the case but I think its ridiculous that one would even have to consider where the watch was purchased - if from AD - would affect what service center could repair it.

I think I'll email the ML customer service center and ask about it

Quote Originally Posted by r3nola View Post
    I know there has been a lot said about Grey Market. I basically understand from the Grey Market you get a new watch without the support or warranty from the manufactuer or AD and you pay less - sometimes significantly less. I don't understand how these watches move around and get offered at these discounts but they often appear to be rather alluring.

So my question is this. Say I buy a watch from another geographic market that I live in for example EU and I'm in USA. It is purchased at a large discount and the watch arrives with a stamped AD warranty card - did I just buy off the Grey Market or is it simply a good deal? The manufacture warranty should be valid regardless of where purchased? or not?
    If it comes with a stamped warranty card, you should be fine.

However, there is a significant difference between the US and the EU: For any new goods in the EU, you always, by law, get a two year warranty from the seller (NOT the manufacturer!). So if you have trouble within these first two years, the seller is always your first point of contact. If you go to the manufacturer directly, they can refuse it and they will kindly ask you to hand the case to the seller, who will then handle the process with the manufacturer if needs be. If the seller is a defunct ebay trader, it could get difficult..

This is an interesting topic considering how many watches are purchased in duty free airport boutiques. How are warranty issues handled when a watch is purchased on a trip in duty free? I'm assuming these boutiques are ADs, but how are they viewed in terms of geographical location. They're in kind of a no mans land aren't they?

That what I was thinking. You buy a watch from an AD when travelling and you could potentially have difficulty with warranty when you get back home?

Besides the warranty card they may/usually want a copy of the receipt. I know the little warranty card from Casio is nothing but show. They want a receipt for it from an AD.

Anyone can go to a stationary store and order a stamp block saying anything on it.

Sent from Capt. Kirks Communicator
    rfortson likes this.
    Call Sign - Wit
    Si vis pacem, para bellum
    Quote Originally Posted by kubr1ck View Post
    the benevolent caretaker of a halfway house for recovering G-Shocks.
    Quote Originally Posted by kubr1ck View Post
    And the grand rehabilitator strikes again.
    Quote Originally Posted by Time4Playnow View Post
    For most of us, when we wear a bad-a** watch, the characteristics of the watch "bleed over" to us -- and suddenly, WE are bad-a**es!
    For some members here though -- like Steelerswit, and Kubr1ck -- they have so much inherent "bad-a**ery" that when they put on a bad-a** watch, the energy flows from them TO the watch, making the watch EVEN MORE bad-a**!!! Yes, it's a real scientific phenomenon that obscure mad scientists only recently discovered.

Quote Originally Posted by ffritz View Post
    If it comes with a stamped warranty card, you should be fine.

However, there is a significant difference between the US and the EU: For any new goods in the EU, you always, by law, get a two year warranty from the seller (NOT the manufacturer!). So if you have trouble within these first two years, the seller is always your first point of contact. If you go to the manufacturer directly, they can refuse it and they will kindly ask you to hand the case to the seller, who will then handle the process with the manufacturer if needs be. If the seller is a defunct ebay trader, it could get difficult..
    Where do you get the two year thing from? I do not know of any acts in the UK that give this. Intrigued.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information