grey market question. but not the usual question
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: grey market question. but not the usual question

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

grey market question. but not the usual question

I have a tough choice to make. Usually ill buy from an AD, especially a local AD if its an expensive piece since I like to see and touch what im going to buy.
    Anyways, this one watch im after is a limited edition. Limited to only 500 pieces.
    My local AD isnt able to source one, and im having a tough time finding one through a online AD. But I did find one through a grey market site claiming its authenticity. It wont come with manufacturers warranty as you know. But is itworth it going for this particular piece through grey market considering the grey market price is in the $8k range?
    Its a real tough choice for me.

Re: grey market question. but not the usual question

If they're willing to meet you in an AD to authenticate it then I would be ok with the deal. There are a lot of very good replicas out there now which even some jewellers would have trouble distinguishing from the real thing. Which watch is it?
    Dave0944 likes this.

Its an online grey market dealer and im nowhere near them. So going to get it authenticated isnt possible. I'd cry if I paid that kinda money and got a replica. Thats why ive always been hesitant buying watches online.

Its a Zenith El Primero 410 in the dark grey dial. Theres a white dial version as well that isnt limited, but I like the dark grey more.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Is the grey established with ratings/past comments? If so, it would make me more comfortable, if not dunno. If they have history, do they have a return policy? If so, I'd (have done it) tell them I will be sending it in for authentication and will return if negative . . . .
    A.Lange & Sohne * Audemars Piguet * Blancpain * Cartier * Dornblueth & Sohne * Invicta * Jaeger-LeCoultre * Meraud * Rolex * Revolution Watch Company * Tudor

"the deeper the roots, the higher the reach" - author unknown

Yesterday I was clever, so I wanted to change the world. Today I am wise, so I am changing myself. - Rumi

Its an online grey market dealer and im nowhere near them. So going to get it authenticated isnt possible. I'd cry if I paid that kinda money and got a replica. Thats why ive always been hesitant buying watches online.
    When you buy any expensive new watch, the first thing you do is take it to a trusted watchmaker for authentication and to make sure that it's running fine. (Even a watch straight from an AD can have unexpected mechanical problems.) If it turns out to be fake, you get that in writing from the watchmaker, charge back your credit card, and come away with no loss.

That said, if the dealer is legit you should be able to figure that out with some research in advance.

It depends on who the grey market dealer is. Some have proven themselves many times over, and they can be searched here.

If it comes in and you are not pleased, they will probably provide a full refund. Check their return policy.
    Do something exceptionally mediocre today

If it is a "trusted" GM dealer then you should be fine. Tell us who the dealer is and you can get some references.

The real question for me is can the GM actually source it. Many (most) GM sites list tons of watches they don't actually have, they take your money and try to source the watch often with 4-8 weeks as the time frame, if they can't find it they refund. Before you get too stressed about this call the GM dealer and make sure the watch is in stock and can ship in a timely manner. If it is not in stock considering it is a LE they well may not be able to source it in the long run but it may be worth the attempt if you REALLY want THAT watch.

Quote Originally Posted by ilitig8 View Post
    If it is a "trusted" GM dealer then you should be fine. Tell us who the dealer is and you can get some references.

The real question for me is can the GM actually source it. Many (most) GM sites list tons of watches they don't actually have, they take your money and try to source the watch often with 4-8 weeks as the time frame, if they can't find it they refund. Before you get too stressed about this call the GM dealer and make sure the watch is in stock and can ship in a timely manner. If it is not in stock considering it is a LE they well may not be able to source it in the long run but it may be worth the attempt if you REALLY want THAT watch.
    +1 Never send grey market dealers money unless it's in stock. They will hold your money and look for it and since it sounds rare then they are not doing to find it either.

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Mediocre View Post
    It depends on who the grey market dealer is. Some have proven themselves many times over, and they can be searched here.

If it comes in and you are not pleased, they will probably provide a full refund. Check their return policy.
    This. Buy the seller before buying the watch.

If it is an El Primero with a display caseback, then it should be easy to verify its authenticity. However, as others have said, many of the grey market dealers of high-end watches do not have the watch in stock and will only source the watch after a buyer requests it. If you're truly fixated about a limited edition watch, you might consider doing the leg work yourself, and contacting other authorized dealers to see if they have one in stock.

Patek Philippe Calatrava 5119J; Vacheron Constantin Overseas; Jaeger-LeCoultre Grande Reverso Duo; Rolex Submariner 114060; Omega Seamaster 300; Montblanc Heritage Dual Time; Tudor Black Bay, Black Bay GMT.

Armida A12; Borealis Estoril; Bulova Accutron II Alpha, Moonwatch; Casio GMW-B5000D, GW-5000, GST-W310; Coach Fulton; Hamilton Khaki Field; Helson Skindiver; Orient 60th Anniversary; Seagull Tourbillon, 1963 Air Force; Seiko SNA089P, SUN025P1; Steinhart OVM; Swatch Body and Soul, Heracles, Sistem51, Uncle Charly; Victorinox Alliance, Infantry Vintage.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information