Greymarket
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: Greymarket

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Greymarket

Has anyone experienced any MAJOR
    downsides to buying greymarket from a place like Jomashop? Obviously the warranty can be different/non-existent, but are there other issues?

I'm thinking its time to treat myself and I live in an area with few watch choices short of "mall watches." I hesitate to pull the trigger without a little discussion first.

Thanks-

Re: Greymarket

There are clearly risks but the vast majority of the orders go fine.

Just make sure you carefully inspect your watch before you put it on. It doesn't take much to void the return policy.
    rearwindowfan likes this.

No problems....What brand, might be able to tell you a better deal?
    Any watches posted may be seen as gifts,borrowed or found property and not as personal property of Little Big Feather.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by little big feather View Post
    No problems....What brand, might be able to tell you a better deal?
    Right now: Longines. Maybe a master chrono or a st imer.
    Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1404420402.804550.jpg
Views: 237
Size:  103.0 KBName:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1404420412.702573.jpg
Views: 238
Size:  191.0 KB

Be sure to read up on the various Gray Market sellers here. Then read their return policy, closely. Follow their rules, to the letter. Inspect the watch closely when it arrives, without wearing it. Keep EVERYTHING that comes with it, however trivil it may seem. Only when satisfied its in good shape do you wear it. Frankly, I'd do all those things at an AD too.

If you do those things the risks are minimal IMHO and the benefits financially are substantial.
    Last edited by Docrwm; July 3rd, 2014 at 23:48.
    -Robert
    Buy what you like, keep what you love, don't spend too much.
    As long as you follow those simple rules - you shouldn't listen to anyone about your watches.

PM'd the info. on Alan Furman.
    Any watches posted may be seen as gifts,borrowed or found property and not as personal property of Little Big Feather.

If you just Google Jomashop (or other grey-market sellers), you'll find plenty of complaints. Jomashop's Yelp page is nothing but bitter complaints. How many of those are reasonable or justified is hard to tell. Certainly, one of the things that grey-market sellers cut back on to keep prices low is customer support, so if there is a problem you shouldn't expect the same level of communication and support that an AD would give you.

I've personally never had a problem with any of the major grey-market sellers, however. If you're worried, try to buy the watch from or through Amazon.
    Mediocre and rearwindowfan like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Likestheshiny View Post
    If you just Google Jomashop (or other grey-market sellers), you'll find plenty of complaints. Jomashop's Yelp page is nothing but bitter complaints. How many of those are reasonable or justified is hard to tell. Certainly, one of the things that grey-market sellers cut back on to keep prices low is customer support, so if there is a problem you shouldn't expect the same level of communication and support that an AD would give you.

I've personally never had a problem with any of the major grey-market sellers, however. If you're worried, try to buy the watch from or through Amazon.
    Amazon actually would be a very poor place to buy a fancy watch from should it need service because the warranty will turn out to be non-existent. Jomashop, Ashford or other online dealers that have been around for a while would provide and HONOR their own warranty, they are watch dealers before all, not just a 'marketplace' for buyers and sellers like Amazon.

Amazon actually would be a very poor place to buy a fancy watch from should it need service because the warranty will turn out to be non-existent.
    You are... quite wrong. Amazon's warranty is actually better than an AD warranty. At the very minimum, they will send the watch to the manufacturer's service center, and will do so without question even if the issue is something that the manufacturer's original warranty would not cover (like the defective Tag Heuer Aquaracer crowns, for example). Or, they will simply replace the watch with a new one. Often, you can also choose to receive a refund, even near the end of the warranty period.

Amazon takes a "customer is always right" approach to warranty service, part of their more general policy that it is better to lose money on an individual transaction if it maintains their overall reputation for excellent customer service. The classic (perhaps apocryphal) example is the automatic Tissot returned for being defective because it stopped running two days after being worn, but you can see similarly ignorant warranty and return discussions throughout the reviews on watch pages.

*edit* And to clarify, since I did also say "through" Amazon, Amazon vets their sellers quite well, so you are unlikely to have warranty problems if you buy from a third party through Amazon. If you do, Amazon has an appeal process for resolving disputes that isn't available when buying directly from a third-party's website. Sellers are generally reluctant to damage their profitable relationship with Amazon, although bad things can certainly still happen. The fact remains, though, that buying from the same third-party seller through Amazon will always get you an additional layer of protection over buying directly from that seller's website. So, if a buyer is concerned about Jomashop, if the same watch is available through Jomashop on Amazon (many are), purchasing it that way comes with additional protections.
    Last edited by Likestheshiny; July 4th, 2014 at 05:00.
    rearwindowfan, drhr and Docrwm like this.

I bought my Longines hydro from an Italian AD off the bay. Not sure if you can find the model you're looking for but worth a shot. I got the hydro with full international warranty and it cost me less than gray market. Good luck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information