GS Quartz vs GS Auto vs Rolex OP vs Rolex Exp I
Like Tree15Likes

Thread: GS Quartz vs GS Auto vs Rolex OP vs Rolex Exp I

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

GS Quartz vs GS Auto vs Rolex OP vs Rolex Exp I

Can't decide between these. I'm a serial flipper with an average hold length of about 6 months. I'm hoping whatever I get next will last me 10 years (but realistically more like at least one year). I like the lighter weight of the Rolexes (due to the different steel they use). Love the look of the Explorer. But GS Quartz is so much beauty for for about $1600. And GS Auto seems like a reasonable compromise. Please help. Thanks!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Banned

Re: GS Quartz vs GS Auto vs Rolex OP vs Rolex Exp I

GS auto at least check ot out once in a lifetime before you let it go again in 6 months.

ExpI is classic but I really like the new OP39 with color dot markers. I would still place my money on a classic ExpI. Actually, I would get a Sub.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Those are all handsome choices (for real!). Personally I like the OP best, it's pretty much a perfect one-watch, if you were crazy enough to only own one watch :P

Second, I like the GS quartz, if you're gonna get a GS might as well get one with an interesting movement. Now... I've never own an Grand Seiko so I probably don't know what I'm talking about, but I did read a great writeup on how they make these and it's truly fascinating (found it....see below). I'm sure the regular mechanicals are great, but if you are going to dive into this I would pick a quartz, high beat, or spring drive as the engine for my watch since it just seems more interesting.

https://forums.watchuseek.com/f21/not...t-1025487.html

The Explorer seems to get a ton of love, but I'm just not feeling it. It would be more balanced if the 12:00 marker said 12 instead of a triangle, just doesn't look right to me for some reason. Anyway, probably not a bad choice in the bunch but I think the best values lie in the GS quartz or OP (especially if you go used). Just my personal bias/opinion so please don't put much stock in it :)
    valmak, Ahriman4891 and Seaswirl like this.

I am almost certain to purchase a Grand Seiko QUARTZ. I love the nature of the movement and you get the fine fit and finish at a price that frankly is just unbelievable for the entire package. Wish when I was buying multiple $1000-$1500 watches I had simply bought the GS Quartz and enjoyed it.
    valmak likes this.
    MIKE

Base on your own admission of serial flipping. Just get any of the four, in 24 months you will had all four.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Veda, valmak, eblackmo and 4 others like this.
    Follow me on Instagram: ten13th
    My watch collection: A mixture of metal, plastic, leather, glass, a few drops of lubricant and a few batteries.

I can't understand how the explorer made this list, the 3 5 9 layout looks really out of place in a world of LOVELY indexes! At least for me but that's an ugly layout and I couldn't do it. Given you like the rest of the watches it's pretty clearly that's not your go to either.

From there do you like dates? I do so the Rolex for me is out. If you don't care the OP's are actually are the only Rolex I'd buy in a second. From there quartz vs mechanical? Also we're talking a HUGE price range. If a GS quartz is in the discussion and it's pretty close, get the quartz, it's 1/3 the price of the Rolex. If you decide you made a mistake you could even KEEP it and add the rolex without much cost.

Quote Originally Posted by DustinS View Post
    I can't understand how the explorer made this list, the 3 6 9 layout looks really out of place in a world of LOVELY indexes! At least for me but that's an ugly layout and I couldn't do it. Given you like the rest of the watches it's pretty clearly that's not your go to either.

From there do you like dates? I do so the Rolex for me is out. If you don't care the OP's are actually are the only Rolex I'd buy in a second. From there quartz vs mechanical? Also we're talking a HUGE price range. If a GS quartz is in the discussion and it's pretty close, get the quartz, it's 1/3 the price of the Rolex. If you decide you made a mistake you could even KEEP it and add the rolex without much cost.
    I'm a big fan of 3 6 9 watches. The price range is wide because if the higher priced watch keeps my interest longer than the cheaper choices it might be cheaper as I won't lose money flipping.

They're all really nice watches but I'm getting a bit sleepy looking at any of them. If I had to choose, the SBGR053 in your post is easily the best watch there: 5 link bracelet, 3 days PR, screw down crown, date, GS-standard accuracy, display caseback, and so on. A popular enough model to flip later on too.
    valmak likes this.

What's your wrist size? The GS quartz is one of the best modern watches I've come across for a smaller wrist. Case-wise it's pretty much the same as the OP with 2 important differences. First, at 10mm it's noticeably thinner. It won't seem quite as bulbous and will have a nice profile. Second, it has curved lugs. Whereas the 36mm OP has a pretty big backside with flat lugs and rides a bit higher. To me wears like a smaller watch made for a smaller wrist whereas the OP wears like a smaller watch made for a larger wrist.

I'd go for the GS quartz given your flipping history. It's a good way to wade into GS waters and I definitely think GS is worth a try at some point.
    valmak likes this.
    Breguet Type XX | GS SBGX065 | VC 42042 | VC 49140

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information