The Guardian: "Still ticking: the improbable survival of the luxury watch business"....
Like Tree62Likes

Thread: The Guardian: "Still ticking: the improbable survival of the luxury watch business"....

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

The Guardian: "Still ticking: the improbable survival of the luxury watch business"....

Pen Survival of the Swiss watch industry - Guardian article

Bigdaftboy likes this.
    Cheers

M

Current collection: Glycine Combat 6 GL0106, Hamilton Khaki Mechanical H694190, Seiko Sarb 033, Citizen "Ray Mears" BN0118-55E , Casio Edifice EF-503D-1A, VSA Alliance, Citizen NY0040-09e, Seiko "Turtle" SBDY015, Lorus field watch RXF41AX7, Pulsar field watch PS9045, Seiko 5 SNXS77, SNXS73, Favre Leuba Vintage watch.
    Gone but not forgotten: Oris Big Crown Propilot, Seiko SKX009, Orient Star Classic, Citizen "Excalibur" BN0100-51E, Citizen NP4020-51A, Citizen BM8180-03E, Citizen BM6400-00e, VSA Officers day date
    Capture and release: Oris BC3, Hamilton Khaki Field, Timefactors Speedbird 3, Citizen World Timer CB0027-51E

Re: Survival of the Swiss watch industry - Guardian article

Another one.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Moderator at Large stuffler,mike's Avatar

Re: Survival of the Swiss watch industry - Guardian article

Quote Originally Posted by Watchbreath View Post
    Another one.
    Merged.
    Munchie likes this.
    Kind regards
    Mike

Instagram @mikestuffler

Re: The Guardian: "Still ticking: the improbable survival of the luxury watch business"....

“The reports of my death are greatly exaggerated.”

Re: The Guardian: "Still ticking: the improbable survival of the luxury watch business"....

I couldn't go through the whole thing. After a little while, all the sarcasm just made this piece of crap totally indigestible. It didn't bode well from the start, when this dude spent time describing a salt water tank and then referring to it again in the article a few paragraphs later (a "salt water shrine", I think he called it).

But then I shouldn't be expecting greatness from an article written by this guy (maybe they didn't offer free lasagna at Baselworld and that displeased him?). I also was under the impression that the Guardian was a serious newspaper.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Last edited by Legion681; October 19th, 2016 at 19:54.
    Biggie_Robs likes this.
    Jaeger Lecoultre Master Grande Ultra Thin Date, Bucherer Edition
    Rolex
    Sea Dweller 4000, ref 116600 / Datejust, ref 116234 / Milgauss, ref 116400
    Longines Conquest Heritage 1954-2014 (#13 of 60)
    Grand Seiko SBGA011 / SBGV005
    Seiko SBBN015
    Sinn 140 A (#087 of 500)
    + others...

The most interesting thing there is reading the comments to that article and seeing that 99% of people think anyone with more than a $10 Quartz watch is either an idiot or an a**hole.

Laughing Re: The Guardian: "Still ticking: the improbable survival of the luxury watch business"....

I've been called a lot worse.
    Quote Originally Posted by no name no slogan View Post
    The most interesting thing there is reading the comments to that article and seeing that 99% of people think anyone with more than a $10 Quartz watch is either an idiot or an a**hole.
    Bigdaftboy and yoginasser like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Legion681 View Post
    I couldn't go through the whole thing. After a little while, all the sarcasm just made this piece of crap totally indigestible. It didn't bode well from the start, when this dude spent time describing a salt water tank and then referring to it again in the article a few paragraphs later (a "salt water shrine", I think he called it).

But then I shouldn't be expecting greatness from an article written by this guy (maybe they didn't offer free lasagna at Baselworld and that displeased him?). I also was under the impression that the Guardian was a serious newspaper.
    The papers now are full of social media/trivia with reference to likes not news.
    Godan likes this.

Not a bad read. Some nonsense, but overall not bad. Few things I agree with, few I disagree with.
    While overall there is a lot of pain in the watch industry, I think the higher range of the luxury market is doing quite well. With all the pain felt at Swatch, Seiko, Citizen, LVMH, Richemont, etc - a lot of it is felt in low to mid-range price segment, where smart watches and competition, along with economic instability are crating a big problem (oversupply plus drop in demand).

However luxury segment seems to be doing quite well. I was at Watchtime event few days ago and it was a packed house. Brands like Lange, Breguet, MB&F had big lines waiting to hear about their latest offerings. I overheard several conversations where people inquired about purchases and custom orders - with MB&F none-the-less.

I did like this excerpt in the article:
    The show was a celebration of our mastery of timekeeping, and of the refinement and years of training that go into making objects of beauty and accuracy. But it was also a celebration of excess and superfluousness, of watches that exist merely because they can, like animal acts at a circus. Many worked on the most intricate levels to perform functions almost beyond usefulness: there were watches with a calendar that lasts 1,000 years; there were watches showing the phase of the moon in a different time zone. And then there were items such as the Aeternitas Mega 4 from Franck Muller, assembled from 1,483 components. This would announce the hours and quarter-hours with the same chime sequence as Big Ben. At its launch, it was heralded by its makers as the most complex wristwatch ever made, and a grandiose work of art.In addition to its 36 “complications” – a complication is essentially a nice gimmick – was the ability to tell the time. Another complication was that it cost £2.2m.

And therein lies the mystery of the modern timepiece. These days, no one requires a Swiss watch to tell the time – or a watch from any country. The time displayed on our mobile phones and other digital devices will always be more accurate than the time displayed on even the most skilfully engineered mechanical watch, yet the industry has a visual presence in our lives like few others. The storefronts of the world’s big-money boulevards glow with the lustre of Rolex and Omega; newspapers and magazines appear to be kept in business largely by watch adverts; airports would be empty shells without them. The export value of the Swiss watch trade fell by 3.3% last year, due primarily to a downfall in demand from the east Asia. But it is up 62.9% compared with six years ago. In 2015 the world bought 28.1m Swiss watches valued at 21.5 billion Swiss francs.

PS. While the article is recent, it describes events of Baselworld back in March and looks at 2015 financials. The drop-off in watch sales since 2015 has been rather drastic, so the article may not have fully caught up with the new reality yet.
    "I learned long ago, never to wrestle with a pig. You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it." George Bernard Shaw
    "Don?t argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience" Greg King
    ?Never argue with a fool, onlookers may not be able to tell the difference.? Mark Twain
    "The problem with quotes found on the Internet is that it's hard to be sure of their authenticity." Abraham Lincoln
    "A Rose by any other name will smell as sweet. But it does not follow that whatever we choose to call a Rose will possess the Rose's fragrance." BB Warfield

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread Information