The guilt of a collector...
Like Tree57Likes

Thread: The guilt of a collector...

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

The guilt of a collector...

...or perhaps I just haven't found my grail watch yet. Last weekend I was out with a friend and we started talking watches. Or rather, he complimented me on my watch--a Citizen Nighthawk--and I was a little taken aback, considering he was wearing a Breitling Chronomat with a mother of pearl dial. I returned the compliment, and his response was "Yeah, I never go anywhere without this." And I've never seen him, save on the tennis court or in the gym, not wearing it.

I love watches, but I'm not sure I'll ever love one watch that much. In a way I'm afraid I'm missing out--last years favorite is now sitting in the watch box, and the Citizen my friend complimented me on is generally reserved for work, or when I'm in a hurry and don't have time to set an automatic or manual wind watch. Anyone else have similiar thoughts?

Re: The guilt of a collector...

That's why I've narrowed my collection. I'd love to be able to own every watch that strikes my fancy, but collecting a dozen $1k-$3K watches would make me look at them and think "I could have had a ____ for the money I've shelled out." It's all well and good if you wear every one, but I find myself letting some watches collect dust, wearing one for weeks at a time. I'm a one-watch man now, with another reserved for a suit and tie.

I downsized my collection from about 11 affordables -- which is not that huge of a collection compared to others, haha -- to a couple of pieces that I wear often.

For me, the magic number is four.

I prefer small collections, with each watch carefully chosen, because I can enjoy variety without feeling too bad about neglecting unworn pieces. If I get bored with any of my current collection, then I swap one out for a new piece.

The best part is that I get more time to bond with each piece and really figure out if they are keepers or not. Slowly, but surely I think I'll make it to the perfect two watches, but that may take a while.
    Just your average Japanese watch fan: Casio, Citizen, Seiko

View my collection **here**

View my feedback by clicking **here**

Your friendly neighborhood enabler,

Otto

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I have nothing but respect for a guy that has one watch and wears it everywhere. I think it's cool. But for me I like variety.
    drhr, Dave0944, Gary123 and 2 others like this.

I like variety and look at it as something to pass on to my son. I have a fascination with the simplicity of turning a crown and the mechanical process of keeping time starts.

Panerai Luminor Marina 104 N1316/3000
    Ball Spacemaster Orbital 115/999
    Ulysse Nardin Maxi Marine Diver #3539
    Omega Speedmaster Legend 3506.61.00
    Omega Seamaster 2225.80.00
    Oris Williams F1 Chrono Ltd. Ed. #1851
    Breitling Mark VI Complications 19
    Breitling Superocean Heritage Chrono
    Breitling Aerospace
    Bell @ Ross BR126 Phantom
    Tag Heuer Carrera Chrono Auto
    Tag Heuer G&SS 6000 Chrono
    Maurice Lacroix Pontos Chrono
    Seiko Orange Monster 7S26-0351
    Seiko Flight Commander Chrono 7T34-6109
    Seiko Sports 200 Chrono 7T32-7D19
    Seiko Mickey Mouse Chrono 7T32-6E99
    Seiko Kinetic Quartz Sports 150 5M23-6A09
    Seiko Kinetic Ti Sports 100 5M43-0B69
    G-Shock AW-591 4778
    G-Shock G-2210
    9 other Mickey Mouse style watches
    ....and 4 other oddballs.

Banned

I would love to get down to three well chosen watches. But I know it will never happen. For one thing I own a couple now that don't fit into a clear plan and I see no reason to get rid of them.

Opinion: Fantasies Of Being A One Watch Guy, Inspired By A GMT From The Jungle — HODINKEE - Wristwatch News, Reviews, & Original Stories

After sitting down and reading this article, I really envied that guy for wearing one watch, all the time. Coworkers and a select few buddies ask to see my watches here and there, and the other night, but buddy said 'show my girlfriend your new watch,' and I wasn't wearing the one he wanted to show her. He was disappointed, and I felt something click. I just want one nice watch I can wear all day every day.
    bacari likes this.

I can't do it. I wear some, but I love them all. Some, I keep as new. Some I keep in a long rotation. Others, I only look at once in a while, like when my son comes for a visit. But, that makes no difference to me. The aren't money, they are watches.
    When I use my watches and clocks - some of my energy goes into them and they tic and tac away. I am caretaker and give them life; but only while I am here. Some day, my son and perhaps others will take my place and become caretakers. I hope that they all will have good care and beat on for a long, long time.
    For me it isn't about wearing and showing to or having others see them, they are mine, or perhaps I am theirs.
    Anyway, when I break out a box and look at some with my son or a friend I get some joy from them; many I look at and its like that honeymoon talked about above. I haven't seen them for some time and its new again.
    So everyone is different, but for me they are not money, they are the keepers of time, and I am their energy. I generally feel the same way about my cars, bikes, knives and other things I collect. I enjoy them and that's worth the money they cost, but after they are with me I don't really think about the money anymore. I do sometimes give one away to someone who appreciates them but can't get one...sometimes and that is also what its about.
    Last edited by 440saw; February 19th, 2013 at 04:23.

+1 my sentiment exactly....

That's one of the reasons I've decided to keep my collection to three nice watches...plus a G-Shock.
    PJR likes this.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread Information