Hacking and hand-winding autos on the cheap?

Thread: Hacking and hand-winding autos on the cheap?

Hacking and hand-winding autos on the cheap?

Dire economic straits are ahead for many of us, and yet it seems there must be a way to continue feeding this fascination with watches without starving our families. To that end, what automatic movements are out there that hack and hand-wind and come in watches under $200? Extra points for 28800 bph. So far all I know of is the ubiquitous ETA 2824. Also, is there somewhere I can find a list of movements and some good description? Thanks!

-Rob

Mod. Russian, China Mech. Chascomm's Avatar

Re: Hacking and hand-winding autos on the cheap?

Quote Originally Posted by robbery View Post
    Dire economic straits are ahead for many of us, and yet it seems there must be a way to continue feeding this fascination with watches without starving our families. To that end, what automatic movements are out there that hack and hand-wind and come in watches under $200? Extra points for 28800 bph. So far all I know of is the ubiquitous ETA 2824. Also, is there somewhere I can find a list of movements and some good description? Thanks!

-Rob
    21600bph:
    Sea-Gull ST16
    Claro-Semag CL888 (Swiss-finished ST16)
    Guangzhou-Dixmont DG28, DG38, DG48 (and equivalent calibres from Nanning)

28800bph:
    Sea-Gull ST24 (2824 clone)
    Sea-Gull ST26 (2892 clone)
    Sellita SW200 (2424 clone)

Russian and Japanese movements rarely hack, so basically you're looking at Swiss and Chinese.

Perfect, that's just what I was looking for. Can anybody vouch for the quality on any of them? Also, is there any good way to search for watches containing these specific movements? I've read that Alpha uses the ST18 on a few watches, but many companies that make cheap watches don't refer to the movements by name and searching for the names of the movements turns up very little.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Perfect, that's just what I was looking for. Can anybody vouch for the quality on any of them? Also, is there any good way to search for watches containing these specific movements? I've read that Alpha uses the ST18 on a few watches, but many companies that make cheap watches don't refer to the movements by name and searching for the names of the movements turns up very little.
    Head over to the chinese watch forum. They know a lot about these things there.

Now why didn't I think of that? Thanks!

N 32 deg, 47' 27.9168"; W 79 deg, 54' 30.3372"

The quality will vary depending on the company doing the casing. It goes from horrible to very good. Most of the bad comes from dirt, dust debris and ham-handed installation of the movement in the case.

Quote Originally Posted by lysanderxiii View Post
    The quality will vary depending on the company doing the casing. It goes from horrible to very good. Most of the bad comes from dirt, dust debris and ham-handed installation of the movement in the case.
    Yikes. What are some of the companies that do a good job?

N 32 deg, 47' 27.9168"; W 79 deg, 54' 30.3372"

Yikes. What are some of the companies that do a good job?
    We'll continue this on the Chinese watch forum.

Thanks for all your help, everyone. I put a new thread in the Chinese Mechanicals forum.

Thread Information