Hamilton H21 or TAG Formula 1 Quartz
Like Tree26Likes

Thread: Hamilton H21 or TAG Formula 1 Quartz

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Hamilton H21 or TAG Formula 1 Quartz

Iím a little lost in the wonderful world of quartz or automaticwatches.

I'm in"shopping" mode for a watch.

At thevery beginning, I assumed that I was going to offer myself a Tissot.

But asI read articles about this brand, comparing the models, I noticedthat among the models I looked at, all had the same movement ETAG10.211 or 212. So many price differences for the same movement ... Iwas surprised.

Then Idiscover their PRC-200 automatic and atthe same time I discovered the automatic movements. What a wonderful world.

Bycontinuing my research, I come across the Hamilton X-Wind (H77616533) andTAG Formula 1 ( CAZ1010.FT8024 / CAZ1014.FT8028).

Myquestion may have already been answered, but is there a hugedifference between the Hamilton H-21 automatic movement and the TAGquartz movement? The movements of these 2 models justify their price?Which of these 2 watches will optimize my

investment. My budget isaround $ 1800 (CAD).

Thankyou very much.

Re: Hamilton H21 or TAG Formula 1 Quartz

Quartz will be exponentially more accurate than any automatic. And if you're looking at a watch as an "investment" neither is a good choice.

I'd go with the Tag in your case. The X-Winds are too busy for my tastes and the crown/button placements are backwards and unintuitive.
    olivpadr likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by pickle puss View Post
    And if you're looking at a watch as an "investment" neither is a good choice.
    You are absolutely right when you say that for an investment these 2 models are not the right choice.
    I used the term investment in a "pejorative" way in the sense that $ 1,800 for me is, in some way, an investment :)

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

A little off topic but this is exactly why the term INVESTMENT should NEVER be used I conjunction with a HOBBY. I am a self-taught photographer, I was in the hobby 4-6 years before I met my current SO, and was very happy content in that hobby... She started to comment on what it was costing me, was I making any money doing it, so on.
    If you have sensitive ears/eyes cover them now.... F*** NO! I wasn't making money, it was never in the equation, I didn't care about it. It not why I got into the hobby. Did she wreck it for me? Yes, more than I'm willing to admit to. But lesson learned, she now understands the 2 separate concepts. Yes I did make some money on the side, not income level or investment level, but it then I started to enjoy it less and actually stopped for 20 years, I'm just now getting back into it.
    One SPENDS money on a watch, car, a house. you invest in stocks, real estate, maybe education for your kids. So go BUY a watch, BUY what you want. Invest in something else.
    Sorry if I came of harshly..
    Sent from my K92 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Slm643; May 6th, 2019 at 20:17.
    Drumguy and brandon\ like this.

Quote Originally Posted by olivpadr View Post
    You are absolutely right when you say that for an investment these 2 models are not the right choice.
    I used the term investment in a "pejorative" way in the sense that $ 1,800 for me is, in some way, an investment :)
    What way is it a investment, "maybe in the future you sell the watch and make a couple hundred more than you paid for it", not much of a investment.

Sent from my K92 using Tapatalk

Certainly agree that neither are Investments. However if you are still looking around, check out Longines. I feel their finishing is better than both. Furthermore, at that price, automatic would be the way to go. They tend to "keep" more of their value. Name:  SmartSelect_20190506-141104_Samsung Internet.jpg
Views: 65
Size:  75.9 KB

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

I think you should pump the brakes on a purchase and continue researching brands, models, and movements. Surf the various forums, read the online mags, browse the used forums to discover more watches and see what models sell for on the second hand market.

Your $1800 CAD is a good budget that covers a lot of watches.

I understand the investment concept but donít buy watches with that in mind. I get what I want to wear and think Iíll want to keep forever.

My personal taste isnít kind to the X-wind although itís just personal preference. I have a Hamilton Jazzmaster auto chrono that I love so itís not a knock on Hamilton.

I like the Tag (though not my favorite) and would encourage you to look at Fortis, Sinn, and the Longines that another member suggested. Lots of options.
    olivpadr likes this.

I didn't spend any time researching my first purchase, and now think that what I paid for that watch was totally not worth it. I'd suggest slowing down and learning more about the watches you are looking at, including handling them in person.

As far as investments go, I second others' opinion that for the most part, they do not appreciate in monetary value over time. I do think however that you didn't mean to use this term in the traditional way, but instead to qualify your level of satisfaction with the watches you are thinking of buying
    olivpadr likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by minfenti View Post
    I do think however that you didn't mean to use this term in the traditional way, but instead to qualify your level of satisfaction with the watches you are thinking of buying
    You are absolutely right.
    The purchase of such a watch is the result of several months of savings. "It's a gift from me for me". With what I earn each month, buying a watch with the amount of money I'm ready to put, I call it "investing" in the sense that I want this watch to give me complete satisfaction for a very very long time.
    minfenti and DarthVedder like this.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread Information