Hamilton Intra-matic Alternatives?

Thread: Hamilton Intra-matic Alternatives?

Hamilton Intra-matic Alternatives?

Greetings fellow horological enthusiasts – long time lurker, first time poster.

My journey into the wonderful world of serious timepieces began last summer and has continued unabated ever since. After much research, my first “real” purchase was the Rado D-Star 200 three-hand dress diver in black. So far I’ve been very satisfied with it’s versatility and casual elegance and enjoy owning a quality watch that’s unique enough to not be seen on every wrist or even often mentioned on these fora. I got a good deal from Ashford and ended up upping the ante with the ceramic-embedded bracelet from the local Rado AD. Like many of you, I initially justified the outlay of funds with the whole “this will be the ONE watch that I’ll wear everyday so why not spend enough to ensure a little bit of luxury” argument. As you may imagine, reading the posts here and getting into watches in general has rendered that line of thought obsolete!

Now that I’ve got the casual-ish look squared away, I’m looking for a nice dress piece that is extra-thin to fit under cuffs. I wear a button-up shirt and tie every day and at 13mm thick, the Rado just won’t go under a sleeve easily. After looking around a bit I’ve fallen for the silver Hamilton Intra-matic at 42mm. (Yes, I know this size is big for a dress watch but my wrist is 8.25 inches and the 38mm looks like I’ve strapped on a dime. From trying them on, I know an after-market strap is also a requirement as the one the Intra-matic comes on can’t even wrap around my apparently monstrous wrist!) Jomashop has some steady deals at just shy of $600 but I wanted to see if anyone here had any other suggestions for something similar at around the same price. I’ve also looked into the Christopher Ward Malvern, the Frederique Constant slimline and a few other brands I can’t remember just now. Though I prefer automatics, the Intra-matic’s lack of a second hand somewhat negates the neatness of the sweeping-hand feature so I wouldn’t be opposed to a classy two-hand quartz.

All right gentlemen (and ladies) – that’s all I’ve got for now. Thanks in advance for your insight and expertise!

Re: Hamilton Intra-matic Alternatives?

I honestly think that the intramatic was a home run, both in the sixties, and now. I would get that if I were you.
    The grail:

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Colonel Mustard View Post
    Greetings fellow horological enthusiasts – long time lurker, first time poster.

My journey into the wonderful world of serious timepieces began last summer and has continued unabated ever since. After much research, my first “real” purchase was the Rado D-Star 200 three-hand dress diver in black. So far I’ve been very satisfied with it’s versatility and casual elegance and enjoy owning a quality watch that’s unique enough to not be seen on every wrist or even often mentioned on these fora. I got a good deal from Ashford and ended up upping the ante with the ceramic-embedded bracelet from the local Rado AD. Like many of you, I initially justified the outlay of funds with the whole “this will be the ONE watch that I’ll wear everyday so why not spend enough to ensure a little bit of luxury” argument. As you may imagine, reading the posts here and getting into watches in general has rendered that line of thought obsolete!

Now that I’ve got the casual-ish look squared away, I’m looking for a nice dress piece that is extra-thin to fit under cuffs. I wear a button-up shirt and tie every day and at 13mm thick, the Rado just won’t go under a sleeve easily. After looking around a bit I’ve fallen for the silver Hamilton Intra-matic at 42mm. (Yes, I know this size is big for a dress watch but my wrist is 8.25 inches and the 38mm looks like I’ve strapped on a dime. From trying them on, I know an after-market strap is also a requirement as the one the Intra-matic comes on can’t even wrap around my apparently monstrous wrist!) Jomashop has some steady deals at just shy of $600 but I wanted to see if anyone here had any other suggestions for something similar at around the same price. I’ve also looked into the Christopher Ward Malvern, the Frederique Constant slimline and a few other brands I can’t remember just now. Though I prefer automatics, the Intra-matic’s lack of a second hand somewhat negates the neatness of the sweeping-hand feature so I wouldn’t be opposed to a classy two-hand quartz.

All right gentlemen (and ladies) – that’s all I’ve got for now. Thanks in advance for your insight and expertise!
    If you are okay with quartz, Frederique constant makes some killer Slim line watches that are stunningly slim and wear really well. I would highly recommend you try and get to see these in person, you may just decide to go with them and not bother with the auto's.

Your monster wrist is going to limit you - but if you don't mind something smaller, how about a vintage longines? '60's models are till affordable and super watches after a service.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Your wrist isn't too big. I'm >8.5 inches and I've got 34, 35, 37.5, 38, 39 mm watches. Every watch I buy I need a longer strap or extra links. Slim and classical dress watches work fine at small sizes since they are all dial and next to no case "perimeter." That said, if you're used to gigantic divers, then you're just plain not going to like anything short of 42 mm.

I will say, if you are willing to go just 100 or so more, you can sometimes get a nice vintage Longines or Omega dress watch for that price. Otherwise, I would honestly stick with the Intra-matic.
    Current Collection - | Ball | Bvlgari | Casio | Citizen | Credor | Girard-Perregaux | Graham | Gübelin | Hamilton | Jaeger-LeCoultre | Longines | Minase | Mühle Glashütte | NOMOS Glashütte | Omega | Rolex | Seiko | Undone | Vacheron Constantin | Victorinox Swiss Army |
    Mulling Over - | Minase Horizon | Reservoir |
    On deck - | Omega Speedmaster Apollo 11 50th Anniversary |

I’m still poking around and really like the Junghans Meister or some of the more understated models from Glashutte but alas, their cost is more than I can spend right now. From trying on several options at the local Tourneau, 40mm is my minimum limit. As for a vintage purchase, I like the aesthetics but am too wary of the potential issues that come with a forty to fifty year old piece. Oh well – the search continues. Thanks to everyone who responded!

I say go with the Intra-Matic but my comment is biased because I do own one.
    Attached Images Attached Images

In addition to the Junhans Meister, what about the Max Bill? Yes, it's 38m and I completely respect your size minimums-- I have an 8" wrist and I think the concept of <35mm watches are pure madness even for dress, but if you're looking at a lighter dial 38mm *may* work and it's a classic Bauhaus design...

... now having gotten that out of the way, the Junkers Bauhaus is a watch in the same style but in a more appropriate 40mm. The automatic version of the Junkers is quite nice as well, if you want an Intra-matic "alternative" with a ticking seconds hand.

I had to go through the 'approrpiately large' dressy watch dance recently and got a Mido Multifort in 42mm. With white dial, it's visually pretty large. It's not *thick* but it's not *thin* either. Wearing under cuffs is a consideration, but much less so because of my climate and work requirements.
    Choose a job you love, and you'll never work a day in your life because that field isn't hiring.

Its hard to beat the Intramatic, I would probably get the 42mm if I had your wrist size.

Also consider the 43mm C. Ward big day date (probably over budget).

And my 40mm VSA alliance mechanical (under $400, but just 40mm, with 50mm Lug2Lug)

Thread Information