WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

Hamilton Intra-Matic - Correct Size?

3K views 26 replies 24 participants last post by  Newnice 
#1 ·
Hey guys,

I'm in the market for my first automatic watch. Today I went to try on a Hamilton Intra-Matic in the 38 mm size on the bracelet, which is the watch I am interested in (silver dial though). I have 7.5" wrists, and I'm a pretty big guy, so I was nervous about going under 40 mm, and I have been unsure if I should go with the 42 mm size. However, after trying on the 38 mm, I'm thinking it would work for me. What do you guys think? They didn't have the 42 mm Intra-Matic in stock, but they did have a 40 mm in the Thinline Auto. I got a few pictures of each (sorry about the crappy picture quality, I took some quick cell phone shots).

Wrist Watch Arm Fashion accessory Hand
Fashion accessory Hand Wrist Jewellery
Watch Wrist Fashion accessory Bracelet Hand
Wrist Arm Fashion accessory Hand Jewellery

Here is the Thinline (40 mm):

Analog watch Watch Watch accessory Wrist Strap
Analog watch Wrist Watch Arm Hand

Let me hear your thoughts!

See less See more
#8 ·
I think both look really good, not too small at all. You can't go wrong with either one.
42mm IMO is too big for an IntraMatic or any dressier watch.
38mm looks classy ...
Between the IntraMatic and the Thinline, I vote for the IntraMatic. However, I'd also encourage you to try the 38mm silver dial IntraMatic, which IMO is the best of the IntraMatic models. As others have noted, it'll wear slightly bigger ...

#10 ·
38 looks fine. The watch has a relatively large dial for its size, so it will wear larger than its listed case diameter. The 42mm version might be a bit much, though your wrist is probably big enough to still pull it off.

The 40mm model looks great on you.

#13 ·
I like the 38mm. It's more of a dress watch and all dial, so wears a bit larger than the size would indicate. Personally, I would feel the 38mm is on the edge of being too large and I have 7.25mm wrists. Would not even consider the 42mm. But it comes down to personal taste. For many, 42mm would be too small to buy.

#15 ·
I’m gonna be the lone guy swimming against the current here....but if it were me, I probably wouldn’t go below 40mm.

I’m a fairly big guy myself, and I don’t like watches cinched-up tight on my wrist. I’ve found that smaller watches have too much freedom to roam, and unless they’re aggressively strapped down they spend all day flopping and rolling about. They end up precariously perched on the outside of my wrist, and I’m constantly having to make adjustments.

I realize “small” is all the rage here on the forums, and the consensus seems to be that a watch can never be undersized; but I tend to disagree. These days, I find that “proper” fit means that a watch has an easy time “seating” itself atop my wrist. It finds its groove, settles in and stays put throughout the day.

I guess my point here is simply that good fit is determined by a lot more than how a watch looks on the wrist. Lug angle, case shape/design, weight etc all play a role in how a watch actually wears. You may very well find 38mm to be ideal, but if you’re not sure....perhaps looking at it from a different perspective will help with the decision.

Good luck...and by the way, those are some beautiful options to be considering.

#18 ·
The 42mm one has the same movement as the 38mm one + it shows because the date is in the middle of the dial (compared with the 38mm one; just look at pics side-by-side - once seen, this cannot be unseen)

ALSO: do you realize that this watch has been approved by the dean of authorities, the great Watch Snob (in his original incarnation)?

https://www.askmen.com/fashion/mens-watches/the-car-watch-comparison.html
https://www.askmen.com/fashion/mens-watches/watch-snob-169.html

(also: yours truly owns one + it is his favorite watch)

#23 ·
Go 38, the 42 looks like Daniel Wellington imho. Mine looks fabulous on my 6.5-7 inch wrist. It does wear big - white with no bezel. On you the 40mm dress type should be the limit, dress watches must be smaller to exude class

Attachments

#27 ·
With such a skinny bezel and uncluttered dial the 42 looks like a bit like a clock strapped to your wrist. I'd like to see it in a 36, certainly no bigger than a 38.

Unless you like big watches as a fashion statement - then go for it! Lots of fashionable folks like to wear things that are deliberately disproportional and manage to look fabulous doing it. So if you want to be classically proportioned then stick with the 38, but as always, follow your own style preferences first and the internet second.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.