Hamilton Jazzmaster Quartz: worth repairing?

Thread: Hamilton Jazzmaster Quartz: worth repairing?

Hamilton Jazzmaster Quartz: worth repairing?

Hello, my fellow watch nuts. I'd like your advice on the repairability of a watch.

I have had this Hamilton Jazzmaster quartz (model H32411135) for a little under 4 years:
    Name:  H32411135.jpg
Views: 1241
Size:  51.9 KB

I did occasionally wear it in the water, but it's rated for 5 bars of water resistance so I didn't think that would be a problem. Recently, it suddenly started dropping time. It hadn't been near water or suffered any external damage (drops, etc) in the days before this happened. Normally when the battery is dying it will skip seconds, but instead it would just stop for a while and then start up again. It would lose hours in a day. I got the battery changed at a local jeweler's, and it looked like it was running all right afterward, but over the next few days I saw that it soon started dropping time again, albeit not as drastically as before the battery change. Still, it was losing at least an hour a day and I had to stop wearing it since it was never right. If I looked closely, I could see the second hand occasionally quiver but not advance. I took it back to the jeweler and he said that it was likely an "electrical impulse problem" and any repair would be at least $180.

Though I like the watch a lot, I'm not sure I want to spend more than $180 to repair this watch and possibly have another problem with it in the future. So I'm interested in what the experts in this forum have to say: is it worth repairing? Or would you just get a new watch?

Re: Hamilton Jazzmaster Quartz: worth repairing?

Take it to a watchmaker, NOT a jeweler.

Thanks Watchbreath, I wasn't aware of the distinction but now I've found a well-reviewed watchmaker within a mile of my office so I'll get a second opinion there.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I don't know how you repair a quartz movement other than putting a new one in.
    TAG Heuer Monaco LE|Omega Speedmaster|Seamaster 300MC|Rolex Submariner|Tudor Ranger

How did it get so late so soon?

Quote Originally Posted by Raza View Post
    I don't know how you repair a quartz movement other than putting a new one in.
    This, and the low cost of most quartz movements means that it is probably worth it.
    Lover of watches from all around the globe.

Frankly, I think that piecs is really sharp - I'd certainly get it fixed.

You're right, I found out that this watch uses an ETA 955.112 quartz movement, which sells for $35 at Esslinger:
    ETA 955.112 Quartz Watch Movement

Thread Information