WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

Hamilton Jazzmaster vs Seiko SARB033?

15K views 57 replies 39 participants last post by  Mark355 
#1 ·
Looking for a little pro/con regarding a Jazzmaster H32505131 and a SARB033. As you probably know, the Hamilton has the ETA 2834-2 and of course the Seiko has the 6R15. The Seiko is a bit smaller, and a little cheaper. I have and like both brands, so no obvious bias there. I thought I'd throw it out for opinions, all are appreciated.
I don't really need a dress watch, but when has "need" had anything to do with it?
Pics lifted off the net. Thanks.
Watch Analog watch Watch accessory Fashion accessory Product
Watch Analog watch Watch accessory Fashion accessory Product

See less See more
#7 ·
not big on either of those two....but if I had to choose one it would be the SARB. Not even really sure why though.

#8 ·
I'd love the Hammy without reservation if it didn't have the day indicator. For me such a complication would have to have some utility, and I can't imagine cluttering up the face of my watch to verify what day it is when, unless I just came out of a coma, I already know that information anyway.

#13 ·
I like both watches, but I prefer not to have the day and the Seiko's size works better for me, so I lean a bit toward the SARB.

My ETA (Hamilton Khaki Field) and 6R15 (SARB 065) perform about the same. My Seiko is slightly more accurate, but that's the luck of the draw. It could just as well be the other way around. The ETA is prettier by almost anyone's standards, but it's still nothing special to look at.

#11 ·
Normally i'd say Hamilton over Seiko, but I don't like the large day window on that Jazzmaster. I've also never seen a bad review of the 033.

#12 · (Edited)
Please don't make me choose...
Hamilton looks more modern than the SARB033.
The SARB033 includes an in-house movement while the Hamilton is a swiss ETA.
That specific Hamilton utilizes more complications than the SARB033.
If I were to choose one of the watches above, it would be the SARB033.
Between my Hamilton and the SARB033 I would prefer my Hamilton.
It is the same functionality as the SARB033, but I prefer the included numerals.
I still plan on getting a SARB033 in the future too!
Watch Analog watch Watch accessory Fashion accessory Jewellery

#22 ·
Please don't make me choose...
Hamilton looks more modern than the SARB033.
The SARB033 includes an in-house movement while the Hamilton is a swiss ETA.
That specific Hamilton utilizes more complications than the SARB033.
If I were to choose one of the watches above, it would be the SARB033.
Between my Hamilton and the SARB033 I would prefer my Hamilton.
It is the same functionality as the SARB033, but I prefer the included numerals.
I still plan on getting a SARB033 in the future too!
View attachment 7564010
Isnt Hamilton under swatch group? Doesnt that make their ETA movt considered in-house as well? You know, cause Swatch owned both ETA and Hamilton.

#21 ·
Sarb gets my vote. I never actually owned a Hamilton but might consider picking up a khaki field titanium as a beater one day. That said, the Sarb has so far, been the only lower end watch that can hang with my bigger guns. I even bought it again. I bought a 033 after selling my 035. Unless you consider my Aquaracer with an ETA and my Tudor with an ETA lower end too. Their price bracket is well above the Sarb though.

My Sarb can hold its own with the Rolex, JLC, and GS.

#23 ·
I have owned both and currently own the SARB033 (for now). I put the SARB on leather and like it. The SARB doesn't look dressy so much as more daily wear. The only reason I am letting it go is the arrival of a very similar looking Grand Seiko. Between the Hamilton and Seiko, the Seiko proved a better watch.

#29 ·
I appreciate all the responses. Because on the surface the two watches do look so similar, I guess the reason I posted the question in the first place is to get a feel for some of the subtle differences between the two, both external and internal. I have a few Seiko autos, but with the exception of my SRP775 all are at least a couple decades old. On the more recent side I have a couple of watches with ETA movements, one a Hamilton Khaki, so I think I am more familiar with the newer offerings from ETA than those from Seiko. I’ve read great things about the 6R15C as well as the ETA 2834-2, but how about the "fit and finish" of each watch? Is there someone out there regrets selling one of them, or perhaps couldn't flip it fast enough? Something has earned the SARB033/35 a huge fan base, and I'm sure it's not just because of its good looks alone. Does the Jazzmaster enjoy such loyalty as well? That kind of stuff.
And of course a spirited discussion on the virtues or sins of the Ford Focus. That’s just gravy. Love this stuff, thanks!

#33 · (Edited)
Something has earned the SARB033/35 a huge fan base, and I'm sure it's not just because of its good looks alone. Does the Jazzmaster enjoy such loyalty as well?
People that have them seem to like them, and they do look great in person. I'd probably have one now if I could get it in 40 mm or less. IMO, the watches you're comparing are roughly equivalent in most meaningful ways, so the decision mostly boils down to aesthetics.

#30 ·
I currently have a SARB035, and used to have a white faced Jazzmaster. I miss the Jazzmaster. It had more pop. Seemed more interesting. I think a big part of that is that not only is the SARB a smaller case diameter, but the bezel is rather larger so the dial itself appears even smaller.

Unless you have a particular affinity for the Seiko brand or a specific feature of the SARB, my recommendation is definitely for the Hammy.

#34 · (Edited)
i don't own either of these watches, but i have recently been looking into the Seiko SARB033 and it looks and seems to perform really well. for my taste, if you are buying it as a formal occasion purchase then having less complications is better and aesthetically the SARB has a mid century vintage styling that i like. the sweep of the case flowing into the lugs are seamless (the hamilton has a different style at lug) and resembles an older grand seiko, its smaller size is more understated and sophisticated, and when on a black leather like this pic off the web - yup - in my opinion its more timeless then this hamilton. fyi i love the hamilton intra-matic and lots of vintage models.

Attachments

#35 ·
These watches are both very similar and match up well. Besides the day on the Hammy, not much separates them. The SARB has lume on the hour markers so that is helpful in dark conditions. The Hammy bracelet has polished outer links which will pick up more scratches. As far as fit/finish, the Hammy might be a little bit better. Both are great choices and will serve you well for years.

#36 · (Edited)
I've owned the SARB033 and I now have the Hamilton in question. There are several differences to consider.

The SARB movement has a longer PR with lower beat rate. The sweep of the second hand will be less smooth than the Hammy. It's possible the SARB will be less accurate, but likely to be more durable.

The Hamilton has a larger case at 39-40mm. It is thicker as well. The bracelet feels like it's more solid, and clasp is more satisfying. If you plan to wear on leather, I guess the point is moot.

The Jazzmaster "finishing" is a step up from my Khaki Field. I personally think the khaki is a nicer piece than the SARB from a fit and finish perspective, not comparing the movement. I'm not sure which movement is "better". Depends on what you're looking for.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.